• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone got any unusual pets?

Haven't seen any mention of terrestrial hermit crabs yet, so I guess they may count as unusual.

I've had these two guys for about 8yrs. With decent care I could have them another 30 or so, depending on their age when I got them. They can live quite a while, but unfortunately proper care guides are not as well known as they should be. They need fresh and salt water, soil to bury in, high humidity, varied diet, fresh shells, etc.

20231002_105341.jpg

20231002_105835.jpg

You can totally keep all sorts of bugs inside as pets.
I think it is cruel but if u like it then it is ok.
As long as they are happy even if in my opinion they are happier outside.
But as an autistic you need ur joy even if it is having pet bugs
I am genuinely curious as to why you imagine that it is cruel? Perfect temperature, ideal humidity, perfect variety and abundance of food and nutrients, zero predators, huge space...with exceptionally few exceptions, you cannot argue that they lack from the mental stimulation of an open world, and it's not like I am keeping flying species, like butterflies, that require open air.

Because they like being free.
They like their lives exploring the world and being in the dirt and crawling on leaves and crawling inside if they want some more adventure or get lost or seek water or shelter.
I think bugs are adventurous.
I do not think they like being contained in tanks and containers
I think they can be friends to humans in their own ways in a way we do not get in the way of their lives or threaten them so you can look at bugs outside, if u want one that does not bite to crawl on your hand you can try but if it does not want you to, leave it alone. You can hunt them and get a magnified glass.
I think humans should be as kind to bugs as animals. I gave up killing spiders but still get scared.
I think if u see a bug inside and it does not bite you let it crawl on a face washer then put it somewhere safe and let it crawl away.
And you should try not to step on ants which can be hard but if you see a trail try to avoid it.
But if u do not want to discontinue your interests then u do it. As an autistic u should pursue what makes u happy

Because they like being free.
They like their lives exploring the world and being in the dirt and crawling on leaves and crawling inside if they want some more adventure or get lost or seek water or shelter.
I think bugs are adventurous.
I do not think they like being contained in tanks and containers

Well, mine certainly have all that and more in their vivaria. If you believe that something like an isopod experiences self-awareness, much less complex emotions, then you are anthropomorphising to a rather extreme degree, that I, as a zoologist, cannot begin to comprehend.

New Threads

Top Bottom