• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone Else Have A Hard Time Staying Home Alone?

Even though it is just me and my wife living in our house, there is often kids around. That is just the way it is when you have a large family. I love my wife and family, I am always glad to see them, but I need my alone time. So in the very few times that I am home alone, really enjoy it.

===============

paloftoon said:
Try meetup.com. If you live near a big city, even better.
============

We're aspies, we don't have the social skills for that kinda stuff and many of us are probably too nervous about doing that. Oh god, what if you run out of things to say :eek:

If you run out of things to say, you can stand there and listen. Listening can give you some good knowledge about people and events. Maybe you will come up with something to say and maybe you won't. If you don't, that's okay too. If'/when you get tired of doing that, then there might be something to engage in at said event. You can absorb your interests into that activity. If it gets boring, immediately leave the event. Always good to try though.

If I've been home alone too long these days then I too feel this. It's not a fear of burglars though, just a fear of being non-existent and not cared for or about. I liked to be alone with my own thoughts, but too much of a good thing can literally drive you to insanity.

That's both advantageous and very saddening to hear at the same time.

We're aspies, we don't have the social skills for that kinda stuff and many of us are probably too nervous about doing that. Oh god, what if you run out of things to say :eek:

That last part of both quotes is the key for any of us loners, I agree with everything you both just said.

In general I like having time to myself and home alone (I live with my parents and one of my two sisters) and I could never imagine living alone as I'm too depressed and anxious nowadays (unlike years ago) to endure on my own. It's always nice to have the release from your fears and depression amongst people who entertain you and care for you. I always pity the person who falls away from their family.
You're not hopeless, The_Hopeless_Aspie_Guy! You are a good guy. You'd make any girl a great boyfriend. I totally agree. I LOVE being left alone at home for hours and hours, but, at nighttime, I am more relaxed when I have company. I feel scared and nervous sleeping in an empty house, I can't do it.

You're not hopeless, The_Hopeless_Aspie_Guy! You are a good guy. You'd make any girl a great boyfriend. I totally agree. I LOVE being left alone at home for hours and hours, but, at nighttime, I am more relaxed when I have company. I feel scared and nervous sleeping in an empty house, I can't do it.

I'm too afraid of likely awkward silences and constant rejection (to name just two) to give love a go. I ran out of things to say with a girl of whom I'm friends with, so that was the point we said our good bye's for the day.

Yes don't stay home alone at night because of the gggg gggg ghhhhosts :fearscream:

Argh, dammit!! I just put my foot through the loft floor and the ceiling :rage:

I'm too afraid of likely awkward silences and constant rejection (to name just two) to give love a go. I ran out of things to say with a girl of whom I'm friends with, so that was the point we said our good bye's for the day.

Yes don't stay home alone at night because of the gggg gggg ghhhhosts :fearscream:

Argh, dammit!! I just put my foot through the loft floor and the ceiling :rage:
What if you had a girlfriend who was the same way? Rejection hurts everyone it touches. I fully and whole-heartedlyunderstand the pain of rejection from mother and father, from brother, from classmates, from guys I wanted to date, from men in general, from society....I am the very definition of a reject. But, that doesn't mean I have given up on love. And, awkward silences can occur anytime, anywhere, but we have our coping mechanisms to help with that.

What if you had a girlfriend who was the same way? Rejection hurts everyone it touches. I fully and whole-heartedlyunderstand the pain of rejection from mother and father, from brother, from classmates, from guys I wanted to date, from men in general, from society....I am the very definition of a reject. But, that doesn't mean I have given up on love. And, awkward silences can occur anytime, anywhere, but we have our coping mechanisms to help with that.
I was hurt so badly from my ex girlfriend that, sadly, I have given up on love. I don't feel like making myself vulnerable again. Anyhow, when most women hear that I drive an 18 wheeler for a living, it's end of discussion.

I'm sorry you got hurt, but more sorry that you have given up on love,too. Love will come to you when you're not searching for it, it supposed to just happen naturally. For me, a boyfriend who drives an 18 Wheeler would be a dream come true because we would both be able to have our "me time". We would look forward to you coming home because we'd have time to miss one another. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I was hurt so badly from my ex girlfriend that, sadly, I have given up on love. I don't feel like making myself vulnerable again. Anyhow, when most women hear that I drive an 18 wheeler for a living, it's end of discussion.
Oops, my bad, I forgot to click quote. The last reply was meant for you,lol.

I'm sorry you got hurt, but more sorry that you have given up on love,too. Love will come to you when you're not searching for it, it supposed to just happen naturally. For me, a boyfriend who drives an 18 Wheeler would be a dream come true because we would both be able to have our "me time". We would look forward to you coming home because we'd have time to miss one another. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
There is a stigma against truckers but I don't care because I like to drive and it's nice getting paid to do it.

On a happy, practical note, I like you, Hopeless Aspie. I want you to enjoy a sense of inclusion. Could you find a social group in your area for Aspies?
Oh thanks. I'd be tempted to try, there possibly are a few, possibly.

I think that if given the choice to do this, I would probably decline. It would be just too darn confusing! Like Warmheart said, I have a rich inner life which I would hate to give up for a whole week. The benefits of being NT for a week just escapes me, that's all.
Oh sorry did I forget to mention, this mirracle/curse is as compulsory as someone reluctantly turning into a werewolf at night or cinderalla turning back into a house wench after midnight.

What if you had a girlfriend who was the same way?And, awkward silences can occur anytime, anywhere, but we have our coping mechanisms to help with that.
I almost had my friends girlfriend ask her best friend out for me recently as she was like minded and fairly attractive, but I had to stop her in the end as I realised my way of thinking seems totally inconsistent with how a bf should be, plus I feel too sexual and I hate it!! I'm seeing if I can just be prescribed tablets to quelle the wretched hypersexual side, and any love or romance along with it would be nice. I'm asexual/aromantic and hyper sexual at the same time.

Anyhow, when most women hear that I drive an 18 wheeler for a living, it's end of discussion.
Well, 18 wheels is a bit greedy (surely they could manage with 9), plus trucks/lorries are evil and intimidate everyone.

There is a stigma against truckers but I don't care because I like to drive and it's nice getting paid to do it.
I don't know what stigma you're talking about. I have an ex who was a trucker, drove for Panther out of Ohio, and I got to be his passenger. Panther didn't mind. I loved that I got see much of the United States through the passenger window of Freightliner and I loved napping in the back while truck was in motion, the vibration felt good to my body. But the bad part was that we would be in such constant close proximity to one another that we would get on each other's nerves and argue. Especially when we'd be out on the road 21 days out of a month and many of those stuck at a truck stop waiting on a load....it just got to be too much.

I don't know what stigma you're talking about. I have an ex who was a trucker, drove for Panther out of Ohio, and I got to be his passenger. Panther didn't mind. I loved that I got see much of the United States through the passenger window of Freightliner and I loved napping in the back while truck was in motion, the vibration felt good to my body. But the bad part was that we would be in such constant close proximity to one another that we would get on each other's nerves and argue. Especially when we'd be out on the road 21 days out of a month and many of those stuck at a truck stop waiting on a load....it just got to be too much.

Your ex worked for Panther? Did he drive a tractor trailer or straight truck?

Your ex worked for Panther? Did he drive a tractor trailer or straight truck?
Tractor-trailer. He also drove US Express which treated him better and paid better. More on-the-road time with US Express than Panther. One time his paycheck was only $9.00! We couldn't eat or shower because we were too poor.

Tractor-trailer. He also drove US Express which treated him better and paid better. More on-the-road time with US Express than Panther. One time his paycheck was only $9.00! We couldn't eat or shower because we were too poor.
That's the problem with expedite. It's feast or famine. I drive for Western Express and as far as large carriers go, it's not too bad.

New Threads

Top Bottom