• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any advice? anyone?

vestara

Hi my name is Mwiche you can find my post in the "Introduce Yourself" section
Yesterday was birthday but I decided to spend it filling out Asperger quizzes most of them came out positive and you can see the results in my signature it took forever to take them all but it's worth it. I've been practically obsessed with Aspergers since June 22nd I've read a lot of stuff on females with it and it made so much sense to me I felt like it was me and I'm reading more on it, I even read an article and it made me understand myself more. I'm writing because I want to ask because I don't know what else to do and I'd like some someone to support and someone to talk to.

Thanks,
Mwiche:D

Hi Mwiche. Have you made arrangements to have a formal assessment for diagnosis? Your course of action will depend on what problems you are having. If the diagnosis helps you to understand your life and relationships and you don't want to change anything, then you don't need to do anything. If you would like help to address an issue then perhaps speaking with a counsellor will be worthwhile. It is a lot to take in and there is no need to attempt to address everything all at once. Thinking things over for a while is ok too.

No not yet I'm still trying to find a trusted adult to go to I'd like to work through things and learn more though I think I'm certain

You state that you don't know what else to do... what do you want to do? Do you want to pursue a diagnosis? Do you just want to leave it at knowing you might be on the spectrum? What exactly?

Also; Where are you located? Especially if you want to pursue a legal diagnosis, it varies greatly how people look into said services (especially since in some countries it can get expensive to seek out professionals).

I live in the U.S. on the north east coast Connecticut to be exact, I was researching to learn more and I guess the formal diagnosis would be to reassure me since I did try this all by myself but I don't know if I can get it now I'm not 18 yet

Last edited:
Thank you, how did any of you told people you know you had it?

I've told some of my friends. I haven't caught up with others yet. I've explained how it affects me, mostly in my friendships, so that they can understand I'm not intentionally being insensitive. I've also said I'm only too willing to help them when they need help, but that I may not read the signs and offer. They may have to ask for the help. I've explained that my needs of our friendship are fairly simple, usually far simpler than their needs. I'll try to meet their needs but I may struggle with that at times. Everyone except one person has been extremely understanding. I didn't worry about potentially losing friends because if they cannot accept me as I am then they are not true friends anyway. I have recently ended my friendship with the one person who was not supportive, and in the process learned that he wasn't really a friend anyway.

When I was younger I didn't tell anyone. I didn't think that it was important. Now as I am older I find that people need to know. People need to understand why you are so different. I have told people whom I wish to be friends with, I have also finally told my bosses at work because they can't help me be the best employee if they don't know what is going on. I find that not everyone is accepting or even knows what Aspergers is. You will find that people know what Autism is and find that they don't believe you because of their preconceived notions of what Autism looks like. Just be prepared for some people to be supportive and some people to be jerks. People often tell me that I don't look autistic, or that I laugh so I can't have autism when did that have anything to do with anything...anyway I digress. Just talk to your folks see what they say. Maybe talk to a teacher if you are in school and see whom might be able to help you get a formal DX if that is what you want to do.

You are right where you belong :) And doing what you should do-research, tests and talking to other Aspies. Follow your gut, continue reading about Aspergers/autism if you want...sooner or later answers will come to you. Other people here have been longer here and know more about Aspergers. They can guide you.

Wishing you luck on your voyage to discovering yourself.

Thanks I'm learning more is that all I should do?

Thank you really, I think I do have it so I'll keep on researching I was scared because I doubted a little

Thank you I do think I have it now that I've done the research, I was afraid that people wouldn't believe me because of the word Autism but I guess now I realize it's because they only think of people who are non verbal

Yeah I think I'm very sensitive I told my 3 classmates that I wanted to get tested(I didn't say anymore than that) and I told my friend and he said "for autism? you're normal" I wonder why when people think of Autism they think of the stereotypical boy who does not speak, it makes me sad

New Threads

Top Bottom