• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

anxiety or no?

Ravkrat

I've noticed that when im at work whenever I have to be in close proximity of others if I think im 'invading' their space my breathing halts to the point to where im fake-yawning just to get breath then if It continues I walk away to catch my breath, ive also noticed that if someone else gets into my personal space the same thing can happen though if I don't focus on it i.e recall the alleyway scene from plastic nee-san or some other hilarious tidbit then my breathing stays normal.

sound like anxiety or no?

Could be anxiety, could be a dislike of breathing in their exhaust or scent, could be some version of a panic or anxiety attack.

I do notice when my stress and anxiety are getting too high, my breathing gets very shallow and sometimes stops. That usually happens because I'm getting incredibly angry and I think it's a natural way for me to try to keep from exploding by holding it all in, so I try to get away pretty quickly before I snap.

my breathing halts to the point to where im fake-yawning just to get breath then if It continues I walk away to catch my breath

Yes this sounds like an anxiety / panic attack. I'm not diagnosed but i get them as well. The symptoms are hard to miss but i did not notice it for what it was until a friend of mine got diagnose with an anxiety disorder - i had always thought i was just over-reacting.

It differs from person to person but these are my symptoms for me personally: a sense of tightness, of being constricted, in the chest; abnormal breathing that makes it feel like i can't get enough breath (either i breathe too little or too much i think), fear, racing thoughts, sometimes i'll get shaky, rarely i'll get a sense of confusion or dizziness.

If it helps, breathing exercises helped me as well as researching what anxiety was and what causes it. Simply knowing i wasn't being immature, going crazy, or overreacting helped a lot, as well as thoroughly understanding what was going on. From there i could identify the triggers for an anxiety or panic attack and eventually learned to feel one coming on before it could get to a full blown panic attack that i couldn't control.

For me, it's different. If I suddenly feel anxious, I hyperventilate. I sometime stop breathing if I'm very focused on one thing or I zone out a bit - it's as if I literally forget to breathe.

I've noticed that when im at work whenever I have to be in close proximity of others if I think im 'invading' their space my breathing halts to the point to where im fake-yawning just to get breath then if It continues I walk away to catch my breath, ive also noticed that if someone else gets into my personal space the same thing can happen though if I don't focus on it i.e recall the alleyway scene from plastic nee-san or some other hilarious tidbit then my breathing stays normal.

sound like anxiety or no?

I used to do thiat a lot, not so much now depending upon who it is. It wasn't anxiety for me, I just didn't want to breathe in what they were breathing out. It would cause me to hold my breath for quite a while though. Nowadays it tends to be smells I instantly find repulsive, I will automatically hold my breath until I am clear of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom