• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anxiety and anesthesia?

Jimbo

I had surgery in January for an umbilical hernia and ever since I have had the worst anxiety ever.

I wasn't all that overly anxious about having the surgery and in fact was pretty relaxed about it.

I did some research and found that it is a common side effect of general anesthesia. It's getting pretty bad and may even need some medication. It feels like my brain releases adrenaline at random times for no apparent reason.

Has anybody else had this problem? If so how many months after surgery did it last?

Have you eliminated other possible causes? Have you looked at the physician's prescribing information for any new medications that you're on, even if they're not taken orally, to see if there are reports of similar side effects, even if the incidence is extremely low? Are you on any new supplements?

Thank you for your reply. The only other possibility I can think of might be the synthroid I take. Anxiety is a common side effect. It may just be I need to have the dosage adjusted.

Hi Jimbo, looked around for articles about anesthesia and aspies and how it affects our brains. There seem to be few studies on the subject.

Found this: Anesthesia may have lingering side effects on the brain, even years after an operation. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hidden-dangers-of-going-under/
Thank you for posting that. It was very interesting. Two months after surgery I was having severe anxiety for no apparent reason. Hopefully it will wear off soon. I have noticed that several very old people I have known were never normal again after surgery. It really messes up the brain. My stepmother had the same surgery as me and she had a spinal tap instead of general anesthesia. Now I wish I had that.

Read Brain Disabling Treatments in Psychiatry by Peter Breggin.

You will never want any kind of dope again.

Read Brain Disabling Treatments in Psychiatry by Peter Breggin.

You will never want any kind of dope again.

I already did not, but then a bout of shingles forced me onto Gabapentin. Now tapering off of it. The key is using chelated magnesium (which most people need anyway) to eliminate withdrawal symptoms.

I am dismayed that the Kindle version is $68, but my Scribd account lets me have access to others of his works. Thanks!

It is my understanding that Aspie brains are especially sensitive to such meds?

New Threads

Top Bottom