• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Analyse a social encounter

whale_bone

V.I.P Member
Okay? a challenge!
Pick a social encounter you've had recently. Now write a stream-of-consciousness/ analysis of the development of the situation.
I'm really terrible at these sorts of things (I tend to get derailed / have quite a bit of alexithymia), but I thought I'd give it a shot, and you guys could too!

Short ones first, maybe?

Bahh I'm too tired to go first. :p

I shall try first. :p

I've had a few similar social encounters recently with my English professor. I'm still not entirely sure how to perceive them. During our English class we have group discussions and the professor walks around the room helping the various groups sustain their discussion / explain various concepts (in this case about feminism). Now, I've noticed that these people are kind of... lacking in intellectual ability. It seems the concepts we discuss I pick up very very easily, and I usually end up explaining them rather than it being a real discussion.

When the professor walks over to the group I am in something odd happens.. Usually she will ask how we are doing, etc etc. Someone will ask for clarification on the topic, etc. The professor responds using the Socratic teaching method (asking questions to help the student arrive at the answer). Since most students are actually being forced to think about the topic in-order to answer, I usually just respond in a way that is intellectually above the level she was expecting (so I assume). I notice the expression on her face changes to a surprised kind of look, and it usually starts a brief conversation between me and the professor. Usually we both smile / laugh / act friendlier during these exchanges, and I've noticed all the other students are kind of just sitting there, with a dull expression on their face. It's as if they aren't part of it or don't understand the topic at that level???

Now, I am really not sure how to perceive how the Professor reacts to me. She seems to smile quite often. During class when she asks the class a question, and everyone just sits there not wanting to answer, I usually smile and kind of laugh quietly. Then she will usually make eye-contact with me and smile back, as if she knows what I am thinking. Nobody else in the class seems to pick up on this. I feel like me and the professor are able to perceive what each other is thinking given the current situation, but everyone else is just.... blank? lol

I really don't know how to explain it more. There is just very strange tension between me and her.. Weird, awkward, but amusing tension.

New Threads

Top Bottom