• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An interesting question

J. Ann

This question made me think. The question is: "Would you give up the interenet for the rest of your life for $1,000,000?" I saw a video where a guy went up to random people and asked this question. Many of them said they wouldn't. I'm actually not sure. I would really have to think hard about it. There's a lot of things to consider, like the effects both will have on my life. Would you stop using the internet completely for the rest of your life for $1,000,000?

No.

Because setting yourself back in society for 1 million dollars (or any amount) is not worth it.

Add in that internet is still developing as an everyday "object" and will implement even more in the future. I don't think it's farfetched to combine your facebook profile with your social security number and eventually even make such things mandatory by law. Heck; over here, they are already pushing you to deal with government business online and are closing departments so you actually need to do so. I had to apply for social security online and isn't possible anymore just by walking in. They do offer computers at their location and all, but still, you need to file for it digitally.

Stores are declining because of online sales as well. I don't know if it would help me a lot if I can't even spend those 1 million dollars if I can't even walk into an actual brick and mortar store.

And that's just what's already going on now.

Oh; and don't get me started as a casual gamer, where nowadays you need an internet connection (and quite often; A steam account) to even validate said game you bought in store. Or the lack of updates for your computer hardware that's not shipped on a disc anymore but is found online.

I can keep adding to this, lol

Last edited:
This is one hell of an interesting question, and has my mind running in hyperdrive.

My immediate thought would be hands down absolutely I would give up the internet for $1,000,000 (Cash money legally untaxed or after being taxed)

I would find a decent, fertile, suitable sized piece of land with a cabin and a suitable body of water (~$250,000), buy some work horses/mules and implements to work the land (~$15,000), grow my own crops, and then do my best to live of the land with minimal outside (going to town) help. I would raise my own animals for meat (~$5,000 to get started), and pretty much live independently from the outside world. It was done in the past with less resources and could be done today (and is done by some). I could see myself as being absolutely content with living off the land and being a simple subsistance farmer. Whatever I had left of the million after purchasing those things would go towards items and supplies as needed. For example seed, clothing, boots, replacement tools, medical supplies, ammunition, replacement parts for implements, nails, pretty much anything I could not procure from the land or make with available resources.

Before anyone says anything about electricity, plumbing (water bill) and whatnot, I have spent considerable time living very primitively and actually prefer it. It's not nearly as difficult to purify water as one would think, provided it isn't polluted with chemicals. Electricity, to me, the thought of "needing it" is a joke. Just have to trust me on that one.

In saying all this, you could conclude that with what I would give up, the internet portion of it would be hillarious considering that is what I would have given up to receive the million bucks for.

The internet and my computer to me is an entertainment and reference item more than anything. Taking into account how primitively I live currently as it is, what I would give up and do with the million wouldn't be too awful far of a jump.

If anyone finds this interesting and wishes to ask any questions or attempt to "shoot down" this idea, please do so, I'd be happy to answer any questions or explain further.

I can safely say, no, I wouldn't. The Internet provides me with a much-needed source of interest and amusement.

Perhaps I'd think differently if I had meaningful relationships in real life, but at the moment, I depend on the Internet for satisfying my emotional needs.

There is an amount for which I would give up the Internet, but it's not a million. If you threw another zero on the end of it, I'd start considering it.

No.

Because setting yourself back in society for 1 million dollars (or any amount) is not worth it.

Add in that internet is still developing as an everyday "object" and will implement even more in the future. I don't think it's farfetched to combine your facebook profile with your social security number and eventually even make such things mandatory by law. Heck; over here, they are already pushing you to deal with government business online and are closing departments so you actually need to do so. I had to apply for social security online and isn't possible anymore just by walking in. They do offer computers at their location and all, but still, you need to file for it digitally.

Stores are declining because of online sales as well. I don't know if it would help me a lot if I can't even spend those 1 million dollars if I can't even walk into an actual brick and mortar store.

And that's just what's already going on now.

Oh; and don't get me started as a casual gamer, where nowadays you need an internet connection (and quite often; A steam account) to even validate said game you bought in store. Or the lack of updates for your computer hardware that's not shipped on a disc anymore but is found online.

I can keep adding to this, lol

Technology and the internet has become so involved in every day life, that I don't think I could just give it up forever. Not even for $1,000,000. I can't think of all the things people need the internet for (it can changes lives in some way or another). I would most likely miss out on many oppertunitys. The way the internet has grown over the years, without it life would be very unfunctionable (Well, my life anyway. Apparently I can't say the same about Josh's.)

Would you stop using the internet completely for the rest of your life for $1,000,000?

In an instant, not a problem!

So long as I can still use my computer then the Internet is not going to be missed by me, especially not if I have a million to invest, I could live off the interest or buy shares or whatever & that would replace what I miss from losing the net.
If everything gets to point where it can only be done over the net (not going to happen... EVER!) then I can hire somebody and tell them what I need and they can procure it for me, if that happens to be from the world wide web then I am not to know so I don't contravene the rules of the agreement.
My feeling is that people use the net too much now anyway, it could even be classed as a self imposed form of social aversion, but it really shouldn't even bear thinking about; real life is better than online life and a million dollers would make life at least reasonable for most folk...

So maybe that question on this forum should be;

A million or the net... Why would you prefer to reinforce (and therefore heighten) the non-social aspects of your condition by choosing the internet, when you could take the money and potentially improve your life?

Remember, a weird person that's poor is seen as a dangerous nut while a weird person with cash is considered eccentric!

yes I would

Because I could by my grandfather's farm, keep it in the family, and live how I really want to live ... which is off the land. I would have a few withdrawals for a while but in the end I would be much happier because I would then have land to work and grow things on and I could live a simpler more peaceful life in the area of the world I most want to live in.

Even though I am obsessed with technology and couldn't live without it ... its because at the end of the day I don't live in a place where I can have what I truly need in my life.

a million dollars would buy me the ability to get me the life I really desire and need. I wouldn't miss the net after a short time at all.

If I can be the richest man on Earth by just not using the Internet (e.g. having $100 million and having the opportunity to just play SimCity 4, one of the few Internet-less games I know), why not? I've all I have - dreams, time, money. I just don't have the Internet. Haha

Joking

I have to use the Internet, because it helps me being more connected to the rest of the world :D

I don't believe that's enough money. But I could if conditions allowed me to

1) get a house/apartment from some solitary place that I liked
2) hire a butler of some sort who could do grocery shoppings for me as I wouldn't want to most of the time, and if I couldn't do them by the internet.

There doesn't seem to be much else that I asked for. I believe I could manage without occasional ebay-amazon-what ever net shopping and substitute them by butler aided acquisition. Even thou relying of other individual could feel too odd to be manageable. Many people seem to be scared of not being able to use news feeds and wikipedia in these scenarios. It's true that there's so much information viral that never gets on papers, it could become a problem. I don't crave after my online friends that much.
I'm glad I really do not have to decide as I'm not offered money anyway. Phew.

Absolutely not. I wouldn't have the connections I have with my friends from high school who live out of state and even out of the country. Also, I need the Internet to search for journal articles for research papers and stuff for school - that's gonna be even more true when I get into grad school and in the field of biomedical science.

In an instant, not a problem!

So long as I can still use my computer then the Internet is not going to be missed by me, especially not if I have a million to invest, I could live off the interest or buy shares or whatever & that would replace what I miss from losing the net.
If everything gets to point where it can only be done over the net (not going to happen... EVER!) then I can hire somebody and tell them what I need and they can procure it for me, if that happens to be from the world wide web then I am not to know so I don't contravene the rules of the agreement.
My feeling is that people use the net too much now anyway, it could even be classed as a self imposed form of social aversion, but it really shouldn't even bear thinking about; real life is better than online life and a million dollers would make life at least reasonable for most folk...

So maybe that question on this forum should be;

A million or the net... Why would you prefer to reinforce (and therefore heighten) the non-social aspects of your condition by choosing the internet, when you could take the money and potentially improve your life?

Remember, a weird person that's poor is seen as a dangerous nut while a weird person with cash is considered eccentric!

At present interest rates you would get like less than u$S 1000/ a month. But inflation would reduce that sum very fast.

A million is not what it used to be. If you spend 5000 each month, you spend a million in less than 17 years.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom