• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An aspie abroad

shinkansen

Just completed a round the world trip, mostly by train. I flew from London, UK to New York City and then crossed the USA by train. From Los Angeles, I flew to Japan. I spent a week criss-crossing Japan by train. After that, it was a 2 night ferry crossing to Vladivostok, Russia. I took the Trans Siberian railway right the way across Russia to Moscow. From Moscow, it was a train to Paris, and then another to London. Around the world in 38 days.

I feel a real sense of achievement. I researched, planned and book everything myself. I travelled solo and there was no back-up. I've fulfilled my lifelong railway interests and ambition to circumnavigate the global. And I travelled all the way from Japan to London, UK by surface transport only. No aircraft.

If other aspies, or anyone else has the idea to do something similar, I'd be more than happy to inspire, advise or help.

Even made a YouTube film of my adventures:

You can either watch in one go - 40 minutes

Or 4 episodes, each of 7-12 minutes

Episode 1:
Episode 2:
Episode 3:
Episode 4:

finally had time to watch the video, i think id need a travel buddy even if only for the company were i to try such a trip, the bigger problem though is lack of funds to try things like this but in the future im sure ill have the opportunity.

Wow fantastic, I went with my husband to Japan back in 2013 and it was my first ever overseas trip and I liked it,my husband has mentioned one day he want to go to Canada but no plans yet.

I agree with Jonathan Lees, amazing!!! Thanks for sharing the videos, I loved them. By the way, but I was impressed that you pronounced Illinois correctly without an "S" at the end. I am originally from there and I know people that are from the state that put an "S" on the end; it drives me crazy.

Glad you like the videos. Good to know I got the 'Illinois' pronunciation correct and from Illinoisan, too.

finally had time to watch the video, i think id need a travel buddy even if only for the company were i to try such a trip, the bigger problem though is lack of funds to try things like this but in the future im sure ill have the opportunity.

You can do the trip on a budget. I did.

Booked my Russian rail tickets directly from RZD Russian state railways, rather through agents. Stayed in hostels, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom