• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Addressing double standards in dating/love/sex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to drop this here - I read some of the other thread. I'm sorry this happened to you and I'm sorry you are feeling bad. You feeling bad is not wrong.

But you do seem to be spiraling. No one has done anything wrong here. You went out with someone, and it didn't work out. This isn't anyone's fault. Relationships are hard and MOST of the time it doesn't work.

Take a break from things and find something you enjoy. Get out of your head and put your thoughts somewhere else. You're trying to solve an impossible puzzle. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to analyze something that really isn't logical.

Take care of yourself and good luck

I just wanted to drop this here - I read some of the other thread. I'm sorry this happened to you and I'm sorry you are feeling bad. You feeling bad is not wrong.

But you do seem to be spiraling. No one has done anything wrong here. You went out with someone, and it didn't work out. This isn't anyone's fault. Relationships are hard and MOST of the time it doesn't work.

Take a break from things and find something you enjoy. Get out of your head and put your thoughts somewhere else. You're trying to solve an impossible puzzle. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to analyze something that really isn't logical.

Take care of yourself and good luck
Did you read the part how two weeks ago today, I had the most awesome first date, felt on top of the world, felt great the next week-and-a-half and I had this mindset when I woke up Wednesday morning that I could take on the world, then a bombshell is dropped on me Wednesday night and I felt like a deer in the headlights.

It’s hard to feel like doing anything, honestly. I want to ask what happened, what I did wrong. If I did nothing wrong, it doesn’t change that I’m hurting and it might be a while before I go on a date, get kissed again.

Thank You for reaching out and offering your support.

Did you read the part how two weeks ago today, I had the most awesome first date, felt on top of the world, felt great the next week-and-a-half and I had this mindset when I woke up Wednesday morning that I could take on the world, then a bombshell is dropped on me Wednesday night and I felt like a deer in the headlights.

It’s hard to feel like doing anything, honestly. I want to ask what happened, what I did wrong. If I did nothing wrong, it doesn’t change that I’m hurting and it might be a while before I go on a date, get kissed again.

Thank You for reaching out and offering your support.
Yes, I know, that's exactly what I was referring to.

To put it into perspective - you had 2 dates. This is not like you went out with someone for six months, a year, several years, etc. It was twice. And the reality is that you weren't in love with this person, rather, you were in love with an idea.

Like I said, MOST first/second dates don't work. That's what dates are all about. To find out if two people are or are not compatible. You (as a couple) were not compatible. This is no one's fault. It just is.

Do you think you might have idealised her? I've done that where I just focus on all the good about someone and ignore the bad. It's a form of black and white thinking.

If only we could go out, all my problems would be solved. It's almost like life or death panic, if this doesn't happen I'll never be happy, I'm broken and will never find love. It's like a love sickness, or more accurately a crush sickness.

But when the infatuation is over, actually I see that they they are flawed like anyone else, not as pretty as they seemed, not as charming and can barely remember what I was worried about. It's a chemical deception, an evolutionary hangover.

I tend to be more on your side of this. On a positive note you've experienced the harsh world of dating and developed an emotional callus now which will make you more resilient, although it certainly won't feel like it.

Last edited:
Do you think you might have idealised her? I've done that where I just focus on all the good about someone and ignore the bad. It's a form of black and white thinking. If only we could go out, all my problems would be solved. It's almost like life.or death panic, if this doesn't happen I'll never be happy. But when the infatuation is over, actually I see that they they are flawed like anyone else.
I'd say this is probably part of it, but when you've only gone on 2 dates with someone, you barely know them enough to idealize anything about that person. It's more likely you're idealizing the idea itself and trying to fill a need that exists in yourself - and ANY person will do. And, I guarantee, if any woman gets the hint that you will just accept anything, anyone, who comes along, they will flee from you.

I have a strong tendency to try changing my presentation each time it fails. A smart salesman will understand that if the average success rate is low, a single failure is insignificant. There's no shame in just trying the same approach many different places. However, I don't believe in "pick up lines." Try to start with a common interest, like "why are we both here?" I knew a couple who had both completely given up on marriage, etc. and put it out of their minds until they both reached for the same book in a store, and were still talking two hours later.

@Neonatal RRT
My complaint wasn’t necessarily about objectification in and of itself, just that women shouldn’t complain that men objectify them if they themselves objectify men. If they want to be seen as people, then see us as people.
Oh, I totally understand. I've been a victim of this, myself. I have been in competitive athletics from the time I was about 12 to about 42.

This topic, within the gym community, is one that really pisses men off. The young woman who dresses in skin-tight clothing, clearly and blatantly showing off her body with intent, the makeup and hair, primping herself for others, spends way too much time in front of the mirror, and then when some guy whom she deems "unworthy" approaches, looks, or talks to her for any reason, seemingly gets "triggered" and wants to complain to the manager. The vast majority of men in the gym are in shorts, sweatpants, and T-shirts and are there to work out. Most are there by themselves and just want to be left alone. They aren't there to hit on women, much to the dysphoria of women who think they are. There is so much sensitivity around the topic that most men literally will eye avert and move themselves AWAY from women in the gym, so they don't get falsely accused of something. It's a minefield out there. I've literally had a gym membership terminated because I had my head up and was looking around at people, not staring, but simply looking around. Nobody said anything to me, I was just stopped as I was entering the gym one day and was told to leave because of "complaints" that I was oblivious to. I was training hard for national competitions. I am not social. I keep to myself. It's ridiculous how some women can prance around gyms with this schizophrenic "look at me, look at me" and then when someone they don't deem as "worthy" looks at them, they get offended. Mixed signaling. The same women are often quite friendly with their "alpha male" they are interested in, but anyone else, it gets flipped into some "offense" that needs to be complained about.

So, I totally get what you are talking about.

I've had a man look at me as if he wanted to punch my lights out because I had zoned out and was gazing to the side and above him, looking at the wallpaper and portraits, deep in thought. 😂 like you i was oblivious and suddenly I was a few seconds from a trip to the hospital. That's when autism can get you in trouble! Yes eyes down is the safest way, but that's letting the covert bullies win. I'm an observer however people can assume I'm a jerk..

Our experience is the difference between direct and indirect aggression. Different folks, different strokes. @Neonatal RRT

Last edited:
Sometimes life is so absurd. @Neonatal RRT I just see that as weak, cowardly management caving at the first opportunity. Maybe single sex gyms etc is the way forward if this continues.

You can only laugh at it really.

Last edited:
I just hope I’d be able to have some type of relationship with them, nothing else from them.

I’m not somebody who wants to avoid kids if I have one or wants to not be bothered. No, I’d want to be as involved as I’d be allowed in my would-be son or daughter’s life.

I never even thought about the idea of a man donating sperm in hopes of having a child they co-created contact him later in life (presumably as an adult) to forge a father-child relationship. That's actually a cool idea.

Sometimes men don't understand the very reason they are attracted to you may be the same reason fifty other men are attracted to you. Am l suppose to act like this doesn't exist? Some men make it their life goal to bed as many woman as they can until their looks are gone. I just don't see numbers of woman using quite that same logic. So please point out double standards, because l have a few to bring to the table also. The other thing l noticed, is that l am suppose to fall over for any guy because l am past certain age, and l should be happy for the attention, if l am not lap-dog happy, then l am a ungrateful Karen who needs to be taken down a notch. Of course l do post with a bit of exaggeration simply as a writing style, so please do not be offended.

Last edited:
Sometimes men don't understand the very reason they are attracted to you may be the same reason fifty other men are attracted to you. Am l suppose to act like this doesn't exist? Some men make it their life goal to bed as many woman as they can until their looks are gone. I just don't see numbers of woman quite using that same logic. So please point out double standards, because l have a few to bring to the table also. The other thing l noticed, is that l am suppose to fall over for any guy because l am past certain age, and l should be happy for the attention, if l am not lap-dog happy, then l am a ungrateful Karen who needs to be taken down a notch. Of course l do post with a bit of exaggeration simply as a writing style, so please do not be offended.
I can’t speak for other men.

Me, I only want one. I want my person and then when I finally meet her, she’ll be the one I’ll want to bed. I don’t need or want a harem, I don’t need or want a line of supermodels hanging off my arms.

I just want that one person to spend the rest of my life with.

About your goals. "Okay, what about my goals and my dreams? What can a partner do for me? How many women have even considered doing something for me?" That sounds damned selfish. Work on yourself, guy, that's the only thing you can change.

Certainly you have goals as will women. It is not the responsibility of women to see you reach personal goals. However it is important that you and your partner have compatible, harmonious, goals in a relationship. Doing your best to reach common goals between you and your partner is part of the glue that binds the relationship along with mutual care and shared experiences.

@thejuice I offer this to you to help with flirting.
412152153_932472748239915_6649558877173097438_n.jpg

Last edited:
@thejuice

Possible, yes, but also I know no one’s a saint. I felt a connection to her by us both being on the spectrum, us both liking sports, us both being Beatles fans and watching Jeopardy together and the fact that we’re the go-to people who remember all of our family’s birthdays, not to mention feeling that spark/fireworks with the physical stuff.

Did I idealize her? Possibly. Was I infatuated after a magical first date two weeks ago today? Absolutely, and I’m talking to people like you and others who are telling me I did nothing wrong and now it’s a matter of trying not to blame myself, hate myself, beat myself up for what happened.

Put it this way, life hard and we’re always going to have challenges to navigate through, but if a woman won’t solve all my problems, she sure would help. I went from feeling like I could take on the world earlier this week with her in my life to only feeling getting out bed because of my job and having tears and being up during the middle of the night and feeling like she slipped through my grasp.

@Masked Man

It’s a mix of both. Yes, I was, and still am, into her. While I need that void filled, I need that validation and reassurance, I have some standards, if not a lot. Looks wise, you should at least be okay or average in my eyes, common interests helps, be a good person, I don’t like tattoos or piercings that much, though I’ve had partners with tattoos.

About your goals. "Okay, what about my goals and my dreams? What can a partner do for me? How many women have even considered doing something for me? That sounds damned selfish. Certainly you have goals as will women. It is not the responsibility of women to see you reach personal goals. However it is important that you and your partner have compatible, harmonious, goals in a relationship. Doing your best to reach common goals between you and your partner is part of the glue that binds the relationship along with care and shared experiences.

@thejuice I offer this to you to help with flirting.
View attachment 128022
You might call it selfish, but is it any less selfish than a woman wanting to know what I can do for her, what I have to offer her, than people saying woman have their dreams and their goals?

Like I said, the only thing I want from a woman is her.

My first girlfriend, I didn’t really burden her with any problems I had at the time, I comforted her through hers, but she broke up with me one of the only times I tried on her, not the other way around, after a job I was going to take in my field slipped through.

Just saying.

The point in that post isn’t that I want women to do a whole lot for me outside of be with me, but why do I get asked what I have to offer a woman, what can I do for a woman, about her goals and her dreams.

Well, what about mine? Do I matter? Because I can tell you, I haven’t always felt like I do, nor have people always treated me like I do.

Sometimes life is so absurd. @Neonatal RRT I just see that as weak, cowardly management caving at the first opportunity. Maybe single sex gyms etc is the way forward if this continues.

You can only laugh at it really.
Well, this was some 20 years ago and I was actually training for national competitions. I was lifting some serious weight back in the day. All I could say was that perhaps someone was intimidated by the "thunder" in the free weight area of the gym. I don't know who or why really. But you are correct that I never knew my accuser, nor was I allowed two words to defend myself. There was a decision made behind my back and I was gone. Sure, I found another gym that day. I had training to do, but it was further away from my home, more inconvenient.

Weak, cowardly management? How about the accuser? This sort of "cancel culture" happens. All it takes is someone to complain and that's it, the accused is removed. There was no due process. It sure wasn't funny at the time, nor is it now.

Well, this was some 20 years ago and I was actually training for national competitions. I was lifting some serious weight back in the day. All I could say was that perhaps someone was intimidated by the "thunder" in the free weight area of the gym. I don't know who or why really. But you are correct that I never knew my accuser, nor was I allowed two words to defend myself. There was a decision made behind my back and I was gone. Sure, I found another gym that day. I had training to do, but it was further away from my home, more inconvenient.

Weak, cowardly management? How about the accuser? This sort of "cancel culture" happens. All it takes is someone to complain and that's it, the accused is removed. There was no due process. It sure wasn't funny at the time, nor is it now.
And I’m sorry that happened, and I cannot tell you just what contempt I feel for when a woman falsely accuses a man.

I need that validation and reassurance,
Never look for your validation external to yourself. That is a fools errand and you will always be disappointed. It was a hard lesson for me to learn and I only started succeeding (sort of) in relationships when I looked inward to recognize my worth.

Never look for your validation external to yourself. That is a fools errand and you will always be disappointed. It was a hard lesson for me to learn and I only started succeeding (sort of) in relationships when I looked inward to recognize my worth.
But I do. Do I need validation from everyone? No. But do I need validation from others? Absolutely. It is through others that I feel good about myself and I feel validated much of the time. Sure, I can feel self validation, but I have to get it from others, too.

There are few things I hate more in this world than double standards and hypocrisy, no matter what of life it is.

It seems to me they are especially prevalent when it comes to dating, and I’d like to share some examples.

The first example - as supportive as this forum is of me, my sincere gratitude, I’ve noticed people post on here, even ask me directly, what I can offer a woman, a woman has her goals, her dreams.

Okay, what about my goals and my dreams? What can a partner do for me? How many women have even considered doing something for me? It hasn’t been many.
That's for her to worry about and for you to qualify. That's the problem here, you're playing along with the narrative. You shouldn't. What DO you want from a partner? List it out, you get to choose, you're not obliged to go along with the first person who likes you. But if the only standard you have is that they like you, well then yeah, it's all down to what you bring to the table. What that woman did on the second date would, to me, be a red flag large enough to soft-cancel any thoughts of a relationship. But then again I'm pretty much done with drama, so maybe I'm a bit intolerant.

And I’m not talking about giving me something of monetary value. The only thing I want from a woman is her.
Regardless of the sort of person they are, what they've done, their opinions, their experiences? I mean if you're up for a few flings, fair play, but you want to marry them, right? So how do you think it's going to feel, as that potential life partner, to know the only thing that mattered about you was that you had a vagina? Reckon that feels like you matter?

Get some standards for yourself and this problem goes away too. It doesn't have to be crazy standards, but things like: looks after themselves and their hygiene, curious about the world, not overly defensive or argumentative, etc..

Another one I see a lot, saying women aren’t objects, they much discourage use of language perceived as objectifying women.

That’s all great until I know women objectify men, that they size them up within seconds of meeting them if they’ll ever sleep with them or not.

You don’t want to be objectified? You want men to see you as people? That’s cool, just don’t objectify us or doom us within of even meeting us, without even knowing what kind of person we even are.

If we value looks into a partner, men are shallow, but women are just going for ‘attractiveness.’
Don't even bother. One thing I've learned is that many(most?) people will use every scrap of evidence or leverage to portray themselves as deserving something. You are utterly free to size people up as you see fit. They're not obliged to find you a great guy, but you do you. If you want to go for women based on whether you find them attractive in 2 seconds, you can. You might find you don't get the type of partner you're looking for, so might need to re-evaluate your approach, but it doesn't come from a rule book on how you must think. That book doesn't exist. Who cares if some random woman thinks you are shallow? You do you.

To help give me some more fulfillment, I’m wanting to donate to a sperm bank and father a child, and hopefully have some kind of relationship with said child at some point in my life.
I don't find this a good idea at all. Sorry.
I saw a YouTube commenter lashing out accusing a donor of entitlement and the mother gets to decide which sperm to use for good genetics.

But the mother is entitled to good genetics for the child, then? Is that right?
Then don't donate sperm and you won't have to worry about what people who give and receive sperm think about.

I’d just thought I’d point some of this out, because I’m ready to love someone, give my heart to her and for her to take advantage of whatever good qualities I might have - but very few do and not for long.

And it doesn’t help having to wade through all of this while being on the spectrum and double standards existing in the world of dating.
Take advantage? Why would they do that? I mean if that's what you're into, fine....

There is no rule book. There are no "standards" to have double. These women are looking for their partner, they are as packed with biases and weird stuff as all the guys. They post-hoc rationalise this by grasping on a bunch of sociological memes about what should happen and what they are entitled to as a way of making sense of things. Decide what you want, screen for that, disqualify people. If you want to be "shallow" go ahead, you're not obliged to be super thoughtful. Of course, make sure it's consensual, but free yourself from this feeling of playing a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom