• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Bombardment of Yoga Resources

Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga: A really dynamic, breath-focused system which essentially inspired the power yoga movement in the West. As athletic as this looks when done in full, it is actually very therapeutic if taught correctly. The primary objective is to link three elements: the breathing with postures with the focus of one's eye gaze. Many of the students of my generation (millenials) and right before mine (the mid '90s-early 200s) have become really dogmatic and militant about how this method should be practiced, but I far and above prefer the older generations of students of Ashtanga (like the ones in this video), whose philosophy can be best summarized by the following quote from a master practitioner named Nancy Gilgoff: "The perfect posture is the one you're in right now." Some videos are below.

Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga Primary Series:

30-minute Modified Version of the Primary Series (this has been really helpful for me in maintaining a daily practice throughout the week:

Iyengar Yoga: If you have ever seen a yoga class where people are using props, you have B.K.S. Iyengar to thank for that. The man lived to be 95 and practiced yoga up until the day he died. He was a pivotal figure in the spread of yoga outside of India and into Western culture. Many of the students who studied under K. Pattabhi Jois (the man who popularized Ashtanga Vinyasa) also studied under BKS Iyengar. His approach to yoga was painstakingly detailed and methodical and grounded in principles of anatomy and physical rehabilitation.

Viniyoga: The man who codified this method, TKV Desikachar, never used or endorse the label of Viniyoga to describe his method of teaching. Mr. Desikachar's goal was to endorse the idea of yoga being an intensely personal, individualized method of self-exploration, and so every student had to be treated as a unique individual with different needs. His most famous book is fittingly titled, "The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice".

This is a really fascinating interview with him about his work:

And this is an example of how teachers he has trained might work with a student:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_awusqgdeo

i have been thinking of getting into this, i have a friend who is a instructor and has offered to teach me yoga. thanks for the resources, do you meditate I've been meditating for a while and find it really helps with my Asperger's

i have been thinking of getting into this, i have a friend who is a instructor and has offered to teach me yoga. thanks for the resources, do you meditate I've been meditating for a while and find it really helps with my Asperger's

I just started meditating about a month ago. I am already noticing a vast difference in how I can self-monitor my symptoms and my overall behavior.

I just started meditating about a month ago. I am already noticing a vast difference in how I can self-monitor my symptoms and my overall behavior.
i have found similar, it keeps me calm and has helped prevent breakdown and panic. glad to hear others are benefiting keep it up.

Finally made it to 20 minutes of sitting meditation today! I definitely felt that my strength of will was tested but I felt very cleansed and peaceful afterward. I can see now why the recommendation is 20 minutes minimum.

Finally made it to 20 minutes of sitting meditation today! I definitely felt that my strength of will was tested but I felt very cleansed and peaceful afterward. I can see now why the recommendation is 20 minutes minimum.
yeah i always try and do a minimum of 20 minutes, i actually can do it a lot longer though, the problem comes when i fall asleep from being too relaxed. im glad you have started meditation and hope you continue and get to see the myriad positive benefits.

I do not do yoga but have been meditating for three years. In the beginning it required will power and work to do it but eventually you reach a place where meditation becomes natural and then indispensable. I never want to miss my daily meditations. I usually due one to two hours in the morning.

yeah i always try and do a minimum of 20 minutes, i actually can do it a lot longer though, the problem comes when i fall asleep from being too relaxed. im glad you have started meditation and hope you continue and get to see the myriad positive benefits.

Falling asleep can be a problem. What works best for me is to get up early drink coffee and then do the meditation. It solved my problem with falling asleep.

Falling asleep can be a problem. What works best for me is to get up early drink coffee and then do the meditation. It solved my problem with falling asleep.

I'm amazed that you can sit still for one whole hour!

Do you chant as well? I'm trying to look for Sanskrit mantras.

Or Buddhist mantras are fine, as well.

I'm amazed that you can sit still for one whole hour!

Do you chant as well? I'm trying to look for Sanskrit mantras.

Or Buddhist mantras are fine, as well.

No chanting. Mostly I focus on breathing and counting. Sometimes I focus on heartbeats or other body sensations. When I become aware of thinking I gently remind myself "that was a thought" and return to being aware. I strive toward creating a mind empty of thought focused on "something." Today I did two and a quarter hours. I was not always able to do it so long but it has gotten easier with practice.

No chanting. Mostly I focus on breathing and counting. Sometimes I focus on heartbeats or other body sensations. When I become aware of thinking I gently remind myself "that was a thought" and return to being aware. I strive toward creating a mind empty of thought focused on "something." Today I did two and a quarter hours. I was not always able to do it so long but it has gotten easier with practice.

How long did it take you to get to that point? I did 20 minutes yesterday and I felt great at the end but I had a few moments of thinking I was going to break into a million pieces within those 20 minutes.

How long did it take you to get to that point? I did 20 minutes yesterday and I felt great at the end but I had a few moments of thinking I was going to break into a million pieces within those 20 minutes.

I have been meditating for about three years. The last six months is when it started to come together for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom