• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

48 yr old

Welcome :)

I was diagnosed last year at 30. I went to see my GP, who referred me to the community mental health team (they are the only ones in my city who can refer to the autism service) and then I was assessed by the autism service here. It was a lot of effort, as many times the GP and/or the mental health team didn't want to refer me.

Welcome to the forums. There's a lot of people here as you can see who are of the older range. Regardless of age there should be some amount of services available to you, although it seems doctors and a lot of people erroneously think that autism somehow disappears upon reaching adulthood and therefore they need to focus only on the children. Laughable really. At the very least you should be able to find a support group in your area. Have a look on the internet for one.

Anyway, it makes me determined to find a doctor who can either confirm or deny.

I do see this a lot with people. I'm not suggesting you're like this but if the doctor you see disagrees with you what do you think you'll do? A lot of people will go from doctor to doctor until one of them says yes - and in a lot of cases rightfully done too; too many are unaware of the girls out there. But if one or two doctors disagrees with you how do you think you're going to react?

source.gif

Well, I'll still be "different", that much is undeniable. I suppose my real purpose is to find a working diagnosis and learn all about that condition, so I don't feel like I'm fighting myself all the time. Does that make sense ?

I feel that I have perpetually failed to live up to my potential and that I am a disappoinment to myself.
I wonder if I had been diagnosed earlier in life, maybe I might have been able to do more, however I must accept that I have to shoulder a portion of the blame myself.

I feel that I have perpetually failed to live up to my potential and that I am a disappoinment to myself.
I wonder if I had been diagnosed earlier in life, maybe I might have been able to do more, however I must accept that I have to shoulder a portion of the blame myself.

Don't blame yourself for something you had no control over. There are a lot of things in life that we have no control over. As the old NT saying go "Our hands are tied!".

I occasionally ask similar questions of myself. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom