• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nature as therapy

Au Naturel

Au Naturel
To him who in the love of Nature holds
Communion with her visible forms, she speaks
A various language; for his gayer hours
She has a voice of gladness, and a smile
And eloquence of beauty, and she glides
Into his darker musings, with a mild
And healing sympathy, that steals away
Their sharpness, ere he is aware.

- William Cullen Bryant, “Thanatopsis”

I always feel better after some time spent in nature, preferably on the grass under some tree. Such a healing, calming and humbling experience.

To those people who do not go out their own door, relegate themselves to onscreen time, complain of depression, social anxiety, all the wrongs that have been done to them by this person or that, whining they can't do this or that, ruminating about memories from decades ago: That's a prison of your own doing. That's way too much time on your hands doing nothing.

The only time you will be free of all your everyday anxieties and worries is when you are somewhere out in nature, away from people.

Your home is where you lie your head. Your home is a place for your stuff. It should never be a fortress of solitude where you hide away and live in the virtual world. Nature is so much more peaceful and stimulating at the same time. Nature is medicine for the soul. Find a National Park to hike, a beach on a tropical island, a lazy river to canoe. Do you know how many anxious, depressed people you will meet? ZERO.

In the UK a lot of the most beautiful places are where drug-addicts gather and deal drugs and carry knives on them. In my city there was a murder one time in the most beautiful and quietest part of the city. These lowlives and murderous freaks ruin places what should be peaceful and happy.

And to travel farther away for peace and tranquility you need money and I got none.

But I did sit outside today in the sun, while it was all peaceful and relaxing, with a can of Dr pepper, some writing books, and my loving rat on my lap. We enjoyed the outdoors together.

To those people who do not go out their own door, relegate themselves to onscreen time, complain of depression, social anxiety, all the wrongs that have been done to them by this person or that, whining they can't do this or that, ruminating about memories from decades ago: That's a prison of your own doing. That's way too much time on your hands doing nothing.

The only time you will be free of all your everyday anxieties and worries is when you are somewhere out in nature, away from people.

Your home is where you lie your head. Your home is a place for your stuff. It should never be a fortress of solitude where you hide away and live in the virtual world. Nature is so much more peaceful and stimulating at the same time. Nature is medicine for the soul. Find a National Park to hike, a beach on a tropical island, a lazy river to canoe. Do you know how many anxious, depressed people you will meet? ZERO.

This can work for some, but not for others.

I'm in the middle of absolute nowhere myself, no other houses/buildings/anything nearby, just farm fields and grass and trees. A forest preserve exists about 30 seconds of driving away. I go there frequently. There are many others around here too, of varying sizes.

But there's a couple of things with this:

1, it must not be raining, and must not have rained within the last 2 days (because this turns it into a muddy, slippery mess).

2, No nature area within the entire region is accessible during winter. Most are shut down... as in, closed gates... and those that arent are typically the ones that are extra risky to be in at the best of times, so going in them during the winter would be a very bad idea.

3. Again, absolute middle of nowhere, which also means that the paths and parks are badly maintained. Do you like paths that are almost invisible due to overgrowth (which can have ticks in it)? How about lots of roots to trip over, in steep hills? Damaged, sagging wood bridges over creeks and such? If you like those, then oh boy these parks are super goodtime fun for you.

4. Sure, they're empty of people, but seriously many of them are not safe, I cant stress that enough. Almost always when I'm at one, I'm the only one there, but that's likely because I'm just really used to dealing with and navigating them. Nobody else seems to want to go in them. Anyone I try to bring with me to one, will only go that once, and they usually are more stressed out after than they were before entering.

5. Flying bugs everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

6, They just... really dont help much. I go to them strictly because of the exercise, which I need in order to keep pain at bay. But other than that... the initial exploration of a newly found one can be interesting (albeit full of bugs), but the novelty wears off fast. Considering the nature of my personal issues, being alone with my thoughts is not a healthy option. I need mentally engaging activities to keep the effects of depression at bay. The endless bug swarms dont fit the bill there.

The only type of nature area that ACTUALLY helps me out is the ocean. But that's a 2 hour plane trip away.

The best thing I ever did in my life was run away in to the rain forests to live like a feral human. It didn't work out as well as I had hoped, but living as a part of nature with the constant threat of death if I didn't behave as I should taught me some very valuable lessons about life and about myself.

It showed me my strengths as well as my weaknesses. And if civilisation ended tomorrow I know I'd be one of the survivors.

I'm fortunate that I live in a place where I can wonder off in any one of three directions (forth goes to town) and walk for days without meeting anything worse than myself.

Granted, I'm pretty bad, but you get what I'm saying.

I'm writing this from the Gee Creek Wilderness Area in Tennessee. I am only here as an overnight stop while driving back to Florida. I will move on in the morning. I chose to stay here for the night rather than a motel because I always prefer the natural world over sillyvisation. A week from now I will begin my annual week long stay in the backcountry of Everglades National Park. The seasonal visitors are gone now, so I can go the week without seeing another person once I am away from the boat ramp.

I can find nature almost anywhere I look.

It is nice to be in a vast wilderness somewhere with nobody around for miles, but I can also find it in my backyard. Some of the best nature is to be had at the forest edge. I don't need an ocean, a pond or creek will do. This is good because as I get older, I won't be able to travel as deep into the wild as I can now. I certainly can't travel as far now as I could even a couple of years ago.

@Au Naturel, one of my favourite places is in a National Park near me. One and a half hour drive to get there, then a couple of km walk into the rainforest and I can sit among a stand of trees that have been looking out over the valley for two or three thousand years. (These are Antarctic Beech - they live that long.) When I was younger I could walk 10-20 km a day in the bush there. Now osteoarthritis limits me to 5 km, but I can still reach those ancient trees. To sit and feel at one with them. (It’s been too long - I must get out there again soon.)

The best thing I ever did in my life was run away in to the rain forests to live like a feral human. It didn't work out as well as I had hoped, but living as a part of nature with the constant threat of death if I didn't behave as I should taught me some very valuable lessons about life and about myself.

It showed me my strengths as well as my weaknesses. And if civilisation ended tomorrow I know I'd be one of the survivors.
I hope you can write a biography some day, or even just a little collection of memoirs. I'd read it.

I've been lacking motivation any time I am not at my fairly strenuous job - days off have been lackadaisical and increasingly depressed.

Today, it felt good and really important to get out among the trees. I benefited from contemplating the long standing trees just showing their new spring buds. Again and again, they have gone through the cycle of the seasons, weathered the winters, and reached toward the sun. I felt grateful and heartened to walk among them. Not to mention the benefit from the exercise.

IMG_7563.jpeg

A thread after my own heart.

Before I managed to find my cabin in the woods, I lived in rural south Florida. I could leave my canoe on the bank of a canal that led into the wilderness. Get off work, push the canoe into the water and off into heaven.

Nature is not for everyone and many don't like it unless conditions are perfect and that is okay. Really. If it were all easy, there would be no place for us real loners to get to.

And some people can make do with very little. I no longer remember the person or the author, but it was true. Someone was confined to bed for a long, long period of time. Unable to get up even to see outdoors. He or she was given a potted plant. On the potted plant was a spider web and in the spider web was a little spider. That person put everything into his relationship with the plant and the spider.

Nature is not for everyone and many don't like it unless conditions are perfect and that is okay. Really. If it were all easy, there would be no place for us real loners to get to.
It took me years to come to that realization. Prior to that, I felt compelled to "convert" people into nature appreciators

I am officially chillin under a shade tree in a warm breeze on a remote island beach today. Literally no one around for miles. Will be out here a week. Will visit several islands before going home.
20240513_160841.jpg

The view from my reclining lawn chair.
20240513_164056.jpg

My dinner solar cooking on the sand.
It's an unopened can of chunky chicken soup.

New Threads

Top Bottom