• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do any of you react not great to unfair situations?

Amethystgirl

When I was on the sidewalk today and some young (maybe someone in his teens or early twenties) guy in a scooter went past me, and he didn't say excuse me I called out to him "Bastard!" He didn't hear me although I know I reacted poorly. If I was more upset I maybe would have said something much worse. Do any of you react poorly to unfair situations?

I lost my job in the most unfair / most discriminatory possible way. I wish I could say I reacted well, but I didn't. But it turned out for the better (to be clear, in a somewhat coincidental manner not "pull from bootstraps" manner). And maybe that's the key, turning things that don't seem good into good things.

In some situations, I am very stoic these days.
It didn't come easy.

I lost my job in the most unfair / most discriminatory possible way. I wish I could say I reacted well, but I didn't. But it turned out for the better (to be clear, in a somewhat coincidental manner not "pull from bootstraps" manner). And maybe that's the key, turning things that don't seem good into good things.
Lemonade, anyone? :p

In the past I would react poorly to unfair situations. But the consequences for doing so were usually so unpleasant that now I don't bother. One definition of masking I guess.

Driving this past week on a rarely used road with little traffic, I was doing the speed limit... A luxury SUV started tailgating, passed me on the right at high speed where the road is wider (but still single lane technically)... I did lay out the horn because the driver was so rude and so impatient...

I hate letting stuff like that go because it feels like an injustice... Drivers like that don't seem to care about speed limits or any other traffic rules likely and shouldn't be able to get away with that crap...

I remember one time, back when I used to work, I had a job at the local movie theater. It was one of the few jobs I had that wasnt bloody awful, considering that there was a lot more to do than just stand at a register. Granted, there were issues that I now know would have become a problem later (the film reels were waaaaayyyy too heavy for me, and that wouldnt fly with the back problems that would soon manifest for the first time), but still.

Or at least it was going nicely until the manager happened. She had been a bit of a problem since the start (and was one of those managers that nobody on the team liked at all). She claimed there was an incident where I'd somehow lost $20 from the register or something. I knew full well this wasnt true, but she wouldnt listen to a darned thing I said (and her response to "well how do you know I did anything" was "I dont have to tell you that"). So she fired me.

And whaddya know, she was out of a job 3 days later. For what it's worth, I *did* give her a verbal warning.

I think that really rather answers the question pretty well.

New Threads

Top Bottom