• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your views on Autism/Aspergers

superboyian

Former Co-Owner
V.I.P Member
I've always heard different views about it and it however seems everyone has a different point of view.
Some seems to hate it and some seems to love it and accept it and get on with what they do in life. :)

What are your views of Autism/Aspergers

very simple: the brain evolves from emotion driven to ratio driven. In between there are several evolutionary steps. AS is one such. The ratio is all right but disconnection of emotion is not yet up to speed. Give it enough time and one day we'll have shed all the ancestral luggage , just as we shed the nail and the appendix to name a few.

We are that missing link from animal to man? Look at the way some of us learn things and our sensory issues... Does it remind you of your local animals?

I'm autistic and I am disabled. It annoys me so much to read when an individual with asperger's tries to claim that they are not disabled or that having asperger's is somehow an advantage.

I do however think that *part* of our disability comes from the environment, and that society should try to empower us by removing this aspect of our disability. I have a visual IQ of 150+, and i feel a litte un-utilised. I'm not bitter, and this is a purely academic opinion. I just think society should change, because i feel like i'm being wasted.

It's a dorky, geeky thing to have and instantly makes you a nerd. Even if you don't have nerdy interests or dress sense, you are still a nerd. You will have that nerd status for the rest of your life.

Unfortunately you have to take the good with the bad, you don't get a choice. I like being intelligent, logical and having a good long term memory. I don't like ADD, executive dysfunction, sleep disorders, depression, social isolation, yada yada yada.

I disagree strongly with the aspie-supremacist point of view, and it doesn't hold a lot of water IMO. I think that it is more likely that the genes that contribute to greater intelligence and other positive intellectual traits also cause autism and aspergers when they combine in certain ways. Same idea but different, I guess. There seems to be some evidence out there that those on the spectrum are more likely to have very intelligent and/or talented people in their families.

The neanderthal theory holds more water if you ask me, although I wouldn't even call that a theory yet (more of a loose hypothesis). Although I guess that in reality I just like the idea that I've got a heap of neanderthal DNA swimming around inside me and making me the way I am, it feels kind of "romantic" if that makes any sense.

It's a dorky, geeky thing to have and instantly makes you a nerd. Even if you don't have nerdy interests or dress sense, you are still a nerd. You will have that nerd status for the rest of your life.

You can't compare nerds to aspies, if you think that being an aspie instantly makes you a nerd, you're misinformed, as well as misdiagnosed, It's common to get misdiagnosed in the UK, but even more in the US.

I'm autistic and I am disabled. It annoys me so much to read when an individual with asperger's tries to claim that they are not disabled or that having asperger's is somehow an advantage.

I totally agree.

Autism/HFA/Aspergers is a mixed bag of traits, some positive, but more negative.

It is fine if someone got lucky and has a bunch of aspie traits that don't amount to a disability for them. They can say "I am not disabled by Aspergers" and they have my respect.

But those who try to promote the idea that aspergers and HFA are not disabilities at all.... for anyone.... and are in fact something that makes all of us "superior", are annoying and do no good for our cause.

I see my autism as something that just is. It's not anything bad, but I also don't feel the need to be proud of something, that I didn't do. Nonetheless, I feel that it's a different way of being, and I don't believe in a cure, because I don't feel that anybody's brain should be messed with. People are conceived and born the way that they are, for a reason.

I have a love/hate relationship with Aspergers. Some days when I'm having a really bad day I wish I didn't have Aspergers. But then again, I realize I can't change it, so why bother dwelling on having Aspergers? I also feel it's made me stronger because I've had to work harder to deal with everyday challenges, like social difficulties for example.

aspergers is a blessing and a curse depending on how you look at it , i like the above average intelligence , the ability to focus on one task exclusively, , i have gotten used to the social isolation , the panic attacks are no fun tho , altho i am taking meds for them

I view it as a disability of which CAN be overcome. Don't live with Asperger Syndrome. Make it live with you.

New Threads

Top Bottom