• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Xanax for Stimming

Hedgehog Instigator

Chomp chomp chomp!
http://www.counselheal.com/articles/9059/20140319/anxiety-drugs-stabilize-autistic-brains.htm

I did a little research to see if this is valid in the psych community, because I've been using xanax to stop myself from stimming. The question I ask is, 'is this debilitating?', generally I can take 4-6 hours of stimming straight until I've exhausted myself from pacing. So, if I allow myself to stim for 15-20 minutes I let it be and do what I need to, but if my need increases taking 1/2 a .25 tablet seems to stop the urge. Has anyone else experienced this, or know of any research in this direction?

Do you stim because you are nervous? If so I think any anti-anxiety drug could be helpful, Xanax included.

I see. Try to figure out why you are overwhelmed, if you can. Maybe there is something you can do about it.

I am doing something about it... I'm taking xanax. I get overwhelmed because sensory input plus all the thoughts I have is too much. Just post of my disability.
I hope the Xanax helps you. I understand it's a part of Autism. Some autistic people (such as myself) also have other mental health issues so I wasn't sure if you did.

Maybe some other benzo would do you better, xanax is fast and short acting whereas klonopin for example is slow and is supposed to last all day. I pace a lot too when I'm anxious, I'm not a person that likes to sit still too often, I'd rather move around than wait. I hate waiting. Hopefully you find something that works for you.

My non-professional opinion is that benzos are really a short term solution, and with most (with a few exceptions, like clonazepam, which I take to alleviate the side effects of quetiapine) one builds up a tolerance for them. You might be fine since your dose is so small.

New Threads

Top Bottom