• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would it be cliche to start with "Hello!"?

HyperCube

Hello!

I was diagnosed with Asperger's last spring, which was quite a relief as it explained (most of) the strangeness in my life so far. Since attempts to find local Aspie groups have pretty much failed (partly due to being Very High-Functioning, a.k.a. "probably just shy"), I thought I'd try my luck on the internet.

Other than that, I'm a slightly baffled college student, currently majoring in Mathematics-Turned-Mechanical-Engineering-Turned-Art-Turned-No-Idea, with a passionate love of peanut butter and an inexplicable fascination with squirrels.

Also, I am a devoted fan of various fandoms, including but not limited to Portal, Sherlock Holmes, Transformers, Monty Python, and various anime. To those who do not share these interests, please forgive my frequent quoting of the aforementioned. (Those who do will probably just get a kick out of it.) It's difficult for me to make conversation (also due to a nasty case of social anxiety), but these topics tend to help me connect. I also love to hear about others' interests, which often add to my own.

I look forward to meeting you all, and thanks for reading my very long post! :cute:

Hey, HyperCube! Im sorry to say that our special interests dont overlap but hey, I wouldnt mind taking a look at Monty Python! One of my buddies always talks about them so might as well join the crows :D Im a college student too! Mathematics? Nice! That takes some brains.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's last spring, which was quite a relief as it explained (most of) the strangeness in my life so far. Since attempts to find local Aspie groups have pretty much failed (partly due to being Very High-Functioning, a.k.a. "probably just shy"), I thought I'd try my luck on the internet.

I can really relate to this. I went to an Aspie group for two weeks but I was much more high functioning then anyone in there so I didnt fit in with those people, and didnt quiet fit in the neurotypicals so it was kinda weird haha. Luckily I can fake my way through social events with neurotypicals so it works out alright. "I thought I'd try my luck on the internet"... good choice! You'll love this place

Welcome!

a passionate love of peanut butter and an inexplicable fascination with squirrels.

Welcome, this place is terrific. I am not really a sociable person myself but these guys are not pushy and great for advice I think.
I have to say that I quoted you because that was the thing that stood out for me in what you said, peanut butter should be mandatory in my opinion and how awesome are squirrels, curse Australia for it's lack of squirrelly goodness. We got all the sharp, pointy, bitey things instead ; ]

I too am a fan of Sherlock Holmes in all his incarnations, there are many of the different shows on DVD now at a good price as well. Bonus

As to your difficulty in making conversation, just talk about the things you like and other people join in, also, when someone is talking about something you like, you join in with them. Thats what I do at least ; ]

Anyhow, read as much as you want and talk as much as you want and always ask if you need help, seeya later

Hello! I tend to use pencil, watercolor, photography and digital media, but also experiment with other types a lot. My latest interest is animation, though I haven't worked up the courage to actually animate anything yet...
How about you, do you do much art?

I for one would think that it's weird to end with "hello". So cliche or not... seems sensible ^^

All joking aside, welcome!

Thanks for all your welcoming! ^_^ I think I've figured out how the reply feature works... (not particularly web-savvy)

Im a college student too! Mathematics? Nice! That takes some brains.

Cool! What kinds of college classes do you take?

peanut butter should be mandatory in my opinion and how awesome are squirrels, curse Australia for it's lack of squirrelly goodness. We got all the sharp, pointy, bitey things instead ; ]

I too am a fan of Sherlock Holmes in all his incarnations, there are many of the different shows on DVD now at a good price as well. Bonus

Hey, who needs squirrels when you have everything else? Like emus...and kangaroos, which are sort of like squirrels, only bigger and with less puffy tails...and peanut butter.
Also, glad to meet another Sherlock Holmes fan! Which versions do you like to read/watch?

As far as the art goes, what media do you work in?

Mostly pencil, watercolor, photography, digital art...how about you?

Thanks for thanking us for all the welcoming, your welcome ; ]

As to squirrels, yes emus and kangaroos are pretty nifty in their own right (and really quite tasty!) but probably the closest thing we have here would be the possum? Ooooh wait, the koala, spends a lot of time up a tree. The only difference is they?re fat, really fat and the tails have dropped off and they don?t scamper so much as, well, sleep... a lot!

The TV series with Ronald Howard as Holmes & the Basil Rathbone movies are particular favourites, the four films starring Matt Frewer as Holmes are also completely unique. Oddly, the original authors stories are the only ones I want to read.

This is probably the weirdest thing I ever took out of context. Seriously. My first thought was, that?s not right.
Like emus...and kangaroos, which are sort of like squirrels, only bigger and with less puffy tails...and peanut butter.
It?s so hard for me now, not to picture a roo bounding through the bush, stopping, reaching in to its pouch and grabbing its very own jar of peanut butter and then quietly going mad trying to get the lid off.
Then I thought, I?ve had peanut butter with jam (jelly), I?ve had peanut butter with honey (best ever), and I?ve even had peanut butter with golden syrup (like treacle) or molasses) but I have not yet had peanut butter with kangaroo ; ]

New Threads

Top Bottom