• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Worth trying to understand?

Marksie

Is there any point in trying to understand "the mainstream " ? I mean we must all share our planet but so intent are they on destroying the world we share , so blinded , so narrow minded that it drives me to despair. Persist or retreat from society ???

Last edited:
Who is They?
What do you mean by destroying the world we share?

The useless greedy morons that run things. Not just politicians, but also the ones that run the many stupid corporations that persist in screwing everything up. AKA ruining the environment just so they can get money they dont actually need.

At least, I assume that's what he means.

Anyway, to answer the OP, my solution was to just say "screw it". I just ignore it all, instead of doing what most do and wasting boatloads of time and energy on trying to take part in politics (never, ever accomplishes anything). Or having conversations about it. I dont interact with society either. Damn fools, the lot of them. Drunken fools, much of the time (yeah, I dont drink, either).

I dont see the point of hanging around those who, frankly, disgust me. Or having conversations about really stupid things done by really stupid idiots.

Persist or retreat from society ??

Most parts of society are not like that. What happens on television and in the media is not the reality in the world, it's a very small part. It's sensationalized and overemphasized to get people watching and readership. I am so unaffected by media that I often will ignore most of it. Tend toward reading online things that interest me, or detail the actual real state of the world. I'll include some links.

Home - Positive News
Foreign Policy – the Global Magazine of News and Ideas
Mental Floss
The Conversation: In-depth analysis, research, news and ideas from leading academics and researchers.
Quartz

Persist or retreat from society ???

For many of us on the spectrum, our reality is likely to be a little of both. I know it is for me.

I live in relative isolation by choice, but it wasn't isolation that allowed me to get to this point either.

Is there any point in trying to understand "the mainstream " ? I mean we must all share our planet but so intent are they on destroying the world we share , so blinded , so narrow minded that it drives me to despair. Persist or retreat from society ???
no. I escape from it any chance I get.

Most parts of society are not like that. What happens on television and in the media is not the reality in the world, it's a very small part. It's sensationalized and overemphasized to get people watching and readership. I am so unaffected by media that I often will ignore most of it. Tend toward reading online things that interest me, or detail the actual real state of the world. I'll include some links.

Aye, you are right about the media. It's not about journalistic integrity anymore, or telling the true story. It's about "views" and how many ads they can shove at you for profit. And the only way to shove ads at you is to get your attention in the first place. And the best way to do THAT is to have OMG BIG HEADLINES COME READ IT OMG!!!!!EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!111 They simply cannot be trusted. Even as horribly negative as I tend to be, well, even I know that the gloom & doom is massively exaggerated. They know full well they can get away with it. So they do.

Regardless of where it is though, I notice how alot of stories went from "thing happened, here's a direct description and photos" to "COULD something happen?" which isnt REALLY news. Like, "Is such and such thing potentially possible? Come read this stuff that comes from 'experts' we found living in the ventilation system in our building and see some ads to find out even though the answer may not even make sense or lead to any actual learning, oh and be sure to click the ads" Even less negative sites often still use the same tricks.

I mean, yes, the Empire State Building TECHNICALLY could suffer a massive chicken infestation while hordes of clowns parade through each floor, but until you've got some photos of it in action, we dont need a story about it. Sure doesnt stop them though.

Aye, you are right about the media. It's not about journalistic integrity anymore, or telling the true story. It's about "views" and how many ads they can shove at you for profit. And the only way to shove ads at you is to get your attention in the first place.

One of the things that 'turned me away' was the increasing use of media coverage of images of people in stressful circumstances. Showing the pain of people, mourning, crying and hurting and impinging on their privacy. It was rare twenty or so years ago. Now it's most every day. It's a heartless and cheap device that takes and normalizes people's pain and dignity, it insults me.

Last edited:
I think of myself as an anthropologist from another planet, temporarily transferred into a human body in order to study them up close.

My home planet is going to be upset when I return and dramatically present my conclusion at a rally welcoming me home. The crowd falls silent as they see I'm about to speak. I take a deep breath and say, "My conclusion," and everyone holds their breath, "after decades of study," and the tension is palpable, "Is..." and people are gasping, "I dunno." And I shrug. Everyone groans. "What? They're confusing! What do you want me to say?" Then I'm fired.

I think of myself as an anthropologist from another planet, temporarily transferred into a human body in order to study them up close.

My home planet is going to be upset when I return and dramatically present my conclusion at a rally welcoming me home. The crowd falls silent as they see I'm about to speak. I take a deep breath and say, "My conclusion," and everyone holds their breath, "after decades of study," and the tension is palpable, "Is..." and people are gasping, "I dunno." And I shrug. Everyone groans. "What? They're confusing! What do you want me to say?" Then I'm fired.

Nanu Nanu

5915931-1465310432-giphy.gif

People in general ... I feel enslaved by the monotonous regime of waking each new day just to be trapped in the rat race which I fail to understand the sense of . The materialism , the shallowness and in my opinion the unwillingness to grasp that the 'norm " is far from ok. As the days tick by , my existence seems wasted in a world that is unwelcoming and illogical . I can't comprehend I was gifted with Aspergers just for the sake of this , I have always believed there was a purpose behind it .I mean , a moment where my action was the reason for my creation .. but sadly that comforting notion is burning away leaving an empty pointless sense to the world i see around me ... it seems the daily struggle , self torment and sadness is after all, for no reason .

I have always believed there was a purpose behind it .I mean , a moment where my action was the reason for my creation .

Who knows what effect you have had or will have on the world? You may never know. Yet this seems as if your philosophy has changed from predestination to existentialism.

The point is to gather enough information so that you can decide for yourself whether to persist or retreat.
Know thy enemy. Come up with a plan to better the world or at least your small part of it or run away.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom