• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When I'm 64

ChrisN

Hello all,
My name is Chris and I am 64, having self-diagnosed myself (and my doctor reluctantly agrees) with AS when I was 62. That means I spent all my life feeling out of sorts, having zero ability to play a musical instrument naturally, spelling every word correctly since age 6 and can remember my first date like it was yesterday, after 50 years.

I am presently on Prozac and Effexor for AS and it has helped to stop my head from thinking 1000 thoughts at once.

I graduated HS and didnt have the interest in college so I came up thru the ranks in electronics, fixing TVs, VCRs, Stereos, Computers, Telephone Systems, and wound up in technical management. I now work for the US Federal "gummint" at a very high level. In retrospect, I owe a lot of this drive to AS.

I also learned at a young age how alcohol made me feel like I fit in. I can go a week at a time (like when I was on vacation 2 weeks ago) without a need for a drink...Sometimes for years. It isnt the job but I want to learn what triggers the feeling. I hope to learn and share on that point.

I also want to contribute my life experiences for others.

Chris

Last edited:
I have a similar relationship with alcohol.

When I was in college, I started with big binge nights, once or twice a week. It was a way to be able to socialize with people who were and would remain strangers to me, as I didn't really talk with anyone much otherwise.

After about a year, I started having a very strong aversion to hangovers, so I adhered to a three drink limit, and would sometimes go weeks without drinking (or socializing).

This is how it has been now for 20 years or so, except I rarely have more than one drink. I do enjoy the warm, mellow feeling of a beer or glass of wine or two, and it does make socializing more bearable, enjoyable even, at times.

51 Here, self dx, and you sound a great deal like my dad, who started etching circuit board to hand build computers very early on, with switches for the registers. He ended up being a prodigy and badass with phone switches in the commercial civilian world. He's retired now, and a old Aspie bastard if ever there was one. He has no clue but when I figured out my condition, his was as plain as day, also.

Welcome aboard :)
IMG_2311.JPG

New Threads

Top Bottom