• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Traits you don't follow

C

Chris

So i've compiled a short list of the common traits of aspergers below. My question is, are there any traits which you don't follow, or hardly follow?

-Problems understanding body language
-Not making eye contact
-Lack of motivation to partake in social events
-Difficulties maintaining conversation
-A need for a routine
-Obsessive interests
-Clumsiness (dyspraxia)

I admit my list was far from spectacular, feel free to tell me if you'd like something added.

I don't feel a need for a routine. If I know the person well I think I can do good eye contact, but I can't with new people. I either don't look at them at all or I'll stare(I think I usually don't really, I tend to stare at some other part of their face).
EMZ=P

I don't feel a need for a routine. If I know the person well I think I can do good eye contact, but I can't with new people. I either don't look at them at all or I'll stare(I think I usually don't really, I tend to stare at some other part of their face).
EMZ=P

Cool. I do that stare thing to :D

I can do eye contact now. Wasn't always able to, mind. It still feels a little bit odd, but I feel better doing it because it's generally the done thing. I also understand metaphors. Can't really remember having any difficulty with them.

I'm generally alright with routine, but I can feel slightly down if something that was meant to go ahead was cancelled. I don't get extremely moody, though.

You sure you're an aspie Chrissy? :lol:

I do wanna do social stuff, and do. Just things that I enjoy, like the cinema. I can only handle going to bars and clubs, that play crappy music, if i'm drunk. Which isn't often.

This aspie routine thing. Is it that if some ones breaks the routine you get anexity Or is it thats if you dont have routine around you , you get anexity?

This aspie routine thing. Is it that if some ones breaks the routine you get anexity Or is it thats if you dont have routine around you , you get anexity?

For me if someone/something breaks the routine then I get anxious. For example, I can book annual leave from work and suffer no anxiety from the change in routine, but recently when I had to miss work because of the snow I was very anxious due to not being prepared for it in advance.

I follow all of those except clumsiness. I can understand body language a bit and can make some eye contact. Problem is, I don't know how much/little eye contact I should be making.

Problems with speech I believe is another. There are many times when I have to raise my voice for people to hear me.

Above normal hearing
Mono tone voice
Inflexibility
Difficulty with change
Dyspraxia
Sensitive to flourescent lights
Issues with food
acute sense of taste and smell
Zero eye contact
Restricted routines
Talking aboout obsessions often and never shutting up and it's all you talk about

So i've compiled a short list of the common traits of aspergers below. My question is, are there any traits which you don't follow, or hardly follow?

-Not making eye contact
-A need for a routine
-Obsessive interests
-Clumsiness (dyspraxia)

I admit my list was far from spectacular, feel free to tell me if you'd like something added.
I have experienced all of these in my lifetime,body language still gives me problems sometimes and i have problems

understanding sarcasm,I don't take things people say as literaly a i used to.

Crowds make me nervous sometimes,and i still have difficulty with conversation at times.

I like my routines definatley!

I have obsessed over martial arts for years and if I'm not careful I will drive people crazy talking about it.

When I was a kid I literally could not walk and chew gum at the same time,handwriting was atrocious, still is,

took me twice as long as most people to do the simplest things.

I'm not so clumsy anymore tho,guess that's why I carry on about Karate so much,It does so much for your physical

body and also gives you lots of practice with social skills.

-Not making eye contact
-A need for a routine
-Obsessive interests
-Clumsiness (dyspraxia)

I have all except for the "need for a routine". I am the opposite in that regard. I find it very difficult to maintain any sort of regular routine, especially when it comes to eating or sleeping. You know, wake up 6am one day and noon the next. Or eat almost nothing one day and twice as much as I should the next.

When it comes to body language I was wasn't even aware that there WAS such a thing as body language until I saw a short film during a training course I did at work once. Now I can pick up on things that I remember from that film or that I've learned from reading or TV since then, but that is about it.

When I'm actually talking to someone I can make eye contact (unless I'm feeling particularly uncomfortable) but when I'm out somewhere and I just pass a person I look away from them. I find it too awkward to stare at every person I see out in public and I hate it when they stare at me.
Also there are some days when I feel clumsy and uncoordinated and then some days when I can do everything well. I generally consider myself clumsy, though, especially when I'm following someone else's instruction instead of doing things I really know how to do.
The other traits match with me, though I don't have problems understanding body language - but that's because I don't even notice it. I tend to focus more on what the person's saying and their tone of voice.

i have all of the traits BUT

i think i can understand peoples body language sort of...

however because of my pessimistic view of people my age i generally think they dont like me or are being sarcastic when maybe they are not... but then again i don't know how much of this is my perception

my strongest trait is that i need very specific rules when doing things otherwise i panic

The routine thing is something i definitely do have. Most of the other traits I kind of grown out of. Eye contact isnt an issue for me but to be honest I never understand body language to be honest and dont think I ever will. Im also one of the lucky aspies not to be born with motor clumsiness. But do any of you ever have co-ordination issues with certain practical tasks???

I don't really have routines, but I have very hard time establishing or breaking habits.
If I usually put my apartment keys in the specific pocket of my pants, I assume it is there without even thinking about it. If for any reason, my wallet, keys or cell phone is not on the correct place(like when I changed my jacket), I will certainly forget or lose something.

Is forgetfulness an aspie trait too? Forgetting to do stuff, even when they are quiet important(like forgetting to bring my electromagnetics book to an open-book exam).

-Not making eye contact
-A need for a routine
-Obsessive interests
-Clumsiness (dyspraxia)
Above normal hearing
Mono tone voice
Inflexibility
Difficulty with change
Dyspraxia
Sensitive to flourescent lights
Issues with food
acute sense of taste and smell
Zero eye contact
Restricted routines
Talking aboout obsessions often and never shutting up and it's all you talk about

------------- Yes to all, in varying degrees.

New Threads

Top Bottom