• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Worst Torture

AuBurney Tuckerson

~GigglesTheAutisticHyena~
Today was the worst torture, and I don't think I could talk about it verbally. First, the bumping noise of kids backpacks in the library tortured me, then the door slamming while I was taking my accuplacer test, now that I come home, this loud roaring lawnmower (the torture machine of hell) comes, and tortures me worse than even the jet planes that constantly fly over the house!

I lost it! I ended up literally "chopping" some of my window blinds into pieces (I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get into trouble for that, and even when I try to tell my mother, she probably won't listen or understand), I was screaming, and I was desperately trying to get my Bluetooth headphones to block our the loud noise, but the lawnmower was EVEN LOUDER!

I can't take it anymore! For the last time, I wish I was born deaf! If I was a deaf autistic, I wouldn't have to suffer so much, and at this time, I wouldn't care if I couldn't hear some od the things I enjoyed. I just can't live like this!

Right now, all I feel like doing is crying and praying to wake up deaf one day to end this nightmare they call life! So far, I just texted my mother and told her that I'm probably gonna end up in a padded room sometime in my future because of this torture!

When I first got sensitive hearing, I was banging my head and crying, and there's no doubt that I will be back in that situation. I'm doomed.

I have no money to get any ear defenders, and if we even find some affordable ones, I doubt they're gonna work or help. I already tried the yellow Califone ones from autismproducts.com, and they didn't work at all.

I certainly hope you can find some relief. I know a bit how you feel. I wish I could make it all stop. I can’t. You are on our minds and in our thoughts. Hang in there.

I certainly hope you can find some relief. I know a bit how you feel. I wish I could make it all stop. I can’t. You are on our minds and in our thoughts. Hang in there.
Thanks, but if I had some money, I would be able to order all the ear defenders I can until I find one that helps.

We all have varying tolerances of sounds. At least being part of this community has given me perspective of such things.

Not that I like it any better, at least I can understand my rather low tolerance to even the most insignificant sounds at times. Like this ticking noise I was experiencing in my new car, each time I'd hit a bump or rough road. Not a loud noise...but the sort of thing that simply wouldn't go away. Started to really annoy me.

To the point where I sprayed silicone into all the crevices where the door surfaces met on the driver's side. Still the ticking persisted. Eventually after about a week I discovered that it's the seat belt assembly hitting the side of the driver's seat towards the bottom. Found some felt pads with adhesive and stuck them on the inside of the seat belt assembly. No more ticking. :)

But yeah, as dumb as it may sound, it's the sort of thing that can really get to us at times. :(

Just another day as an Aspie. Though my tinnitus never goes away either.

Last edited:
With cars...several ticks and clanks are ok, it’s when it’s just ONE THING making a noise it’s really irritating to distraction. I usually drive with the radio on but then I start changing the station over and over looking for a good song...

Sounds. Ugh.

Have you tried soft memory foam earplugs? You can put your headphones as well on max volume and hopefully you'll hear only the music/ambient sounds. This is what I used to do when I got a roommate with a really loud snoring problem.

I feel for you. I cannot stand constant dogs barking and sadly, our two little dogs are big barkers and I could easily commit murder!

Doors that are not closed properly, make me feel like screaming and other low humming noises.

I have taking med for anger and has calmed me down hugely.

When I was a child, I could not understand how I panicked with the sun in my eyes and others just shielded their eyes. Never worked for me and then, I got my first pair of sunglasses and relief at last!

Go into panic if I misplace my glasses.

Sounds. Ugh.

Have you tried soft memory foam earplugs? You can put your headphones as well on max volume and hopefully you'll hear only the music/ambient sounds. This is what I used to do when I got a roommate with a really loud snoring problem.
I never took my earplugs off. Even the noise of the lawnmower is way louder than me wearing my earplugs with the headphones over them blasting.

I never took my earplugs off. Even the noise of the lawnmower is way louder than me wearing my earplugs with the headphones over them blasting.

That's tough.

There are special type of headphones that are supposed to supress sounds from everything outside of the music itself. They are pricey but since this is how much pain you get from these noises, it may be worth looking into.

You really need a few days at least in a quiet cottage near a lake, far from civilization and people making noise. But again, the question is the price. I don't know your budget, so I can't really help you with that but this is no living.

If none of the mentioned solutions solve anything, you may need to move to a more acceptable place. Maybe a small village or similar, these tend to be quieter. The question is the work/money, so you would need to do a lot of research first. Is physical work acceptable for you? Freelance? I suggest a quiet library with these brilliant armchairs that surround you from three-four sides. In fact, this kind of library would be soothing overall, especially on Sundays(if open).

That's tough.

There are special type of headphones that are supposed to supress sounds from everything outside of the music itself. They are pricey but since this is how much pain you get from these noises, it may be worth looking into.

You really need a few days at least in a quiet cottage near a lake, far from civilization and people making noise. But again, the question is the price. I don't know your budget, so I can't really help you with that but this is no living.

If none of the mentioned solutions solve anything, you may need to move to a more acceptable place. Maybe a small village or similar, these tend to be quieter. The question is the work/money, so you would need to do a lot of research first. Is physical work acceptable for you? Freelance? I suggest a quiet library with these brilliant armchairs that surround you from three-four sides. In fact, this kind of library would be soothing overall, especially on Sundays(if open).
We barely have money because we have to spend most on it on gas, and we aren't planning on moving anytime soon, and I doubt my mother is gonna want to move just because of my hearing. Plus, my college is in a neighboring city to where I have to drive the expressway. The only thing I'm able to do is get some cheap ear defenders, but idk if the ones I've heard of even work. There's some called "snug" and some called "just ausome", but idk if anyone here had heard of those types of ear defenders or know if they even work.

I
We barely have money because we have to spend most on it on gas, and we aren't planning on moving anytime soon, and I doubt my mother is gonna want to move just because of my hearing. Plus, my college is in a neighboring city to where I have to drive the expressway. The only thing I'm able to do is get some cheap ear defenders, but idk if the ones I've heard of even work. There's some called "snug" and some called "just ausome", but idk if anyone here had heard of those types of ear defenders or know if they even work.

Look into these ear defenders then. Read opinions, go to try them on above all. Maybe also go to a doctor and ask if they some medical recommendation for your needs? Maybe there is something already there with a medical discount that we don't know about. It's always worth trying out. When I had anxiety problems connected to both ptsd and autism, I was recommended pressured vests by a medical facility at my university. Maybe there is something that could affect hearing, who knows. Fortunately ear plugs and headphones are enough for me but I imagine I would go to many different lengths from many angles if my hearing was influenced by background noises this much. Just try to stay open towards different possibilities.

I

Look into these ear defenders then. Read opinions, go to try them on above all. Maybe also go to a doctor and ask if they some medical recommendation for your needs? Maybe there is something already there with a medical discount that we don't know about. It's always worth trying out. When I had anxiety problems connected to both ptsd and autism, I was recommended pressured vests by a medical facility at my university. Maybe there is something that could affect hearing, who knows. Fortunately ear plugs and headphones are enough for me but I imagine I would go to many different lengths from many angles if my hearing was influenced by background noises this much. Just try to stay open towards different possibilities.
Ok

New Threads

Top Bottom