• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Science, specifically Astronomy

Meg

Hi, my name is Meg and I have been intrigued by science and astronomy in general since I could speak. My question is: Do you think that my interest in the factual, rational, logical, and usually somewhat rigid laws of science, or more of a personal obsession of mine, a world of order and structure, through apparent chaos and randomness, or are there others who are and have always been drawn to this subject, is something which could have a connection with being on the spectrum? Astronomy seems so vast, complex, unfathomable and abstract, yet the more I have learned the more I find out it is in fact more structured and the laws of physics in fact make more sense the deeper you go and the more dimensions you add.

I not sure how to comment. However, I share this moon video I made earlier this year that I think you may like.

I'm not sure. I myself was big into astronomy when I was young. I still even have one of my scopes. Come in handy when I am with a new roommate and point out Jupiter and they think I am making it up. I will never forget the cold night I "discovered" Saturn.

Thanks, great moon, I guess I made it a bit confusing. Basically, I think I can reword it into, does anyone ever look into the sky at night and feel relief and peace from the complicated and congested world we live on? Though it seems freeing it is also so ordered, it is so wondrous!

Thanks, great moon, I guess I made it a bit confusing. Basically, I think I can reword it into, does anyone ever look into the sky at night and feel relief and peace from the complicated and congested world we live on? Though it seems freeing it is also so ordered, it is so wondrous!
Yes I do. I want to own better equipment to capture more on astronomy. I don’t know much on the topic. My camera was lucky to spot an galaxy but it was not able to take the picture. I know I need more practice

It is all relative in its own way, the sky you see when you look up at the stars is ancient by the standards or how long we live, some of those lights are hundreds of years away at light speed, others thousands, and indeed millions and even billions, the closest are decades+. The universe is so vast, and everything in it is moving, and light speed is so slow that relative to how we perceive the passage of time and see light that it really is ridiculous.

... it seems freeing it is also so ordered, it is so wondrous!

Said like a real Aspie with real Aspie passion for their Special Interest.

I have had a major interest in Astronomy ever since I first looked up at the sky at night when I was a kid (and that was over 45 years ago). I've also owned several telescopes.

I also have an interest in science (physics & chemistry) and a very strong interest in mathematics and computer programming. They all sort of tie in together, don't they?

Yup, not all on the spectrum share the interest though.
Soms are more spiritual, others are more rigid and logical.
How one is educated and raised plays a big role.
I used to think people on the spectrum would be more logical then neurotypical people,
but I've learned thats not necessarily the case.

It leaves me in awe, knowing how much we will still discover and learn.
I'd love to be part of it all.

Last edited:
I simply like picking out the constellations and looking at pretty pictures of nebulas and stars. But when I hit my science kicks, there's a lot of fun thinking to come from studying gravity, star categories, and the like.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, really. One of the reasons I love astronomy/astrophysics/particle physics is that beauty naturally emerges from basic, fundamental concepts. And, of course, knowing that there is so much more to learn, all the time, and some answers only raise new questions...that sort of intellectual pursuit I find inspiring.

I agree, what I like some much about physics and astronomy, is how fundamental it all is. Out of all the chaos comes order and from the complex comes amazing simplicity. It almost seems to surpass our society superficiality, in nature and space, the more you take away, the simpler the more spectacular.

I used to be part of a local astronomy group but it disbanded a few years ago (most of the members were old and there were no new people joining), we used to do sidewalk astronomy where you set up in a part of town and let passers by look through the telescopes and hopefully they become interested. I tend to specialize mostly in the planets but I find a good deal about space beautiful, soothing and awe inspiring.

Do any if yall want to be my science buddy to share opinions share our own theorys and maybe one day well become famous

Do you think that my interest in the factual, rational, logical, and usually somewhat rigid laws of science, or more of a personal obsession of mine, a world of order and structure, through apparent chaos and randomness, or are there others who are and have always been drawn to this subject, is something which could have a connection with being on the spectrum?

Could be, but not necessarily. Speaking as someone who studies astronomy, space is awesome and so is the evolution of the universe.

New Threads

Top Bottom