• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Repeating Yourself Over And Over

I do verbally, but not as much online. I figured it was a nervous habit since I always tend to be nervous when I talk. Perhaps it's another trait to add to my list. :)

I did this too. I think it originates from not being listened to as a child and the fact my mother had a childhood head injury that impacted her memory and repeating myself was how I got her to remember.

It's a drive, even when I realise I'm doing it, exhausting trying to stop, or still excited and not in a happy sense, afterwards.

I had talking in general all but beaten out of me when I was a kid, so I don't talk much in general without prompting, but I have caught myself repeating a side comment or something a couple of times. I usually catch myself after the first repeat, though. For me, it's triggered by feeling like I wasn't being heard.

My son, on the other hand, is horrible about it and will repeat himself incessantly until acknowledged or yelled at. His trigger is the same as mine, so I try to acknowledge him, but it's a fine balance between "resetting" that trigger and teaching him that it's rude to interrupt. He's also a chatterer, and pretty much doesn't shut up unless he's asleep or sick, even if no one's listening. I suspect a lot of times, it's either a stim type thing, or he just doesn't realize he's doing it.

It wasn't unrelated exactly. It was about how I repeat myself, but not in the conventional way.
Me too!
I can not remember what I said to whom before on what!

I find no matter how much we want to talk on our interests and feelings....people just don't want to hear it.
They want to do ALL the talking!
So if you want to be liked you have to ask questions and say nice little empathic affirmative things!
Basically you have to pretend you are their Teddy Bear :bearface:sitting on their bed while they spill their hearts out to you, but you don't really get a turn...?:confused:

Life is not very fair or kind!

The truth is most people are selfish little monsters on the inside!

Most everything in life is a oneway street you give they take!:(

Heaven will only have people who are willing to share!

Who here as a problem of repeating what they say over and over?

I do. I sometimes expect a response from people about what I say, and they say "ENOUGH! STOP!"

Additionally, I lost a friend because I kept calling her constantly around the holiday in 2007 (ten years ago now) because I wanted to see her. Lesson learned for me.......... and this is why I don't have a GF. I'm much better at that now, thankfully.
This is something I want to stop doing. I do it much, much more after burning out and being overwhelmed by all kinds of things. Of course, it's when I am interested in something - I guess I don't feel I have explained it just quite right, so I keep finding different ways to explain things, or I explain a different aspect or angle of it, and I don't realize I have repeated some of it, and I am going on and on and on.... :)

Ive been there. Luckily for me , it only comes in short bursts of extreme repetition(maybe about a week)and then gets better for a few months/years. But that doesn't mean it doesn't affect me. My family usually takes it upon themselves to make fun of it Ana point it out for me extra. Thanks mom , jeez , I didn't even realize(said sarcastically). But I got used to being laughed at for it and I kind of just go along with it now.

Yes, repeating the same thing is one of my most common traits and it does annoy others sometimes. Most of the time I do it subconsciously, but even if I do become conscious of it I still have a very strong urge to repeat it anyway (it's difficult to explain, but I'm sure other aspies will understand). I have however recently found out a way of stopping myself on at least some of these conscious occasions. I look back to when I just mentioned what I am about to repeat and I think to myself, "the person or persons have most definitely heard what I said and interpreted it, therefore there is really no reason to repeat it", then I try to move on and take my mind off it.

New Threads

Top Bottom