• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Probably) Weird Kitchen Activities

Jumpinbare

Aspie Naturist and Absent-minded Professor dude
V.I.P Member
Over the last week I got around to trying some things I have read about and have wanted to try for a while.

1. Homemade solid rocket fuel. Sometimes called rocket candy because of the way it's prepared. Not going to give recipe here. If you really want to know you can google it. The final cooked product looks like a tray of brownies. But once cooled, the "brownies" become rock hard and hae to be broken into small pieces and ground to a powder with mortar and pestle. The resulting powder is ready to be pressed into motor casings for model rockets.

2. Natural insect repellent. The original Florida natives used a native plant called Dog Fennel mixed with bear fat as an insect repellent. I have wanted to try that for years. Neither Wal Mart, Winn Dixie, nor Publix seem to carry bear fat on their shelves. Hog fat is available, however. It's called lard. I purchased a block of lard and collected several dog fennel plants. After heating the lard a bit above water's boiling point, I fed in small pieces of the dog fennel. As each piece was added, the hot lard boiled off the water contained in the leaves, so I had to feed it in slowly to prevent it from boiling over. The oil contained in the dog fennel stays dissolved in the lard. As more fennel is added, the concentration gets stronger. I used a total of two plants. As the plant fragments lost their color in the liquid lard, I used a fork to fish them out and add new.
After making the lard-based repellent, I decided to use some other methods. I repeated the lard process using mineral oil instead of lard. I also decided to try an alcohol based approach by grinding the plant leaves in the mortar and pestle and putting the mash in a partly filled alcohol bottle. I will let these steep for several days.
I tested the mineral oil based version in my yard after dark by rubbing some on my right arm only. Within minutes mosquitoes were all over me except my right arm. Apparently, the original Florida Indians knew what they were doing.

Another plant you can try is Lemon Balm. We just used to crush a couple of leaves in our fingers and rub them on exposed skin. It doesn't leave you feeling sticky or greasy, it has a pleasant smell, and it's also really nice to use in the cooking.

Another plant you can try is Lemon Balm. We just used to crush a couple of leaves in our fingers and rub them on exposed skin. It doesn't leave you feeling sticky or greasy, it has a pleasant smell, and it's also really nice to use in the cooking.

Where does that grow?
I just looked it up. It will grow in US zones 4-9. I am in Central Florida which is zone 9. So it SHOULD grow here in theory. In practice, I have found that plants whose range ends in zone 9 aren't necessarily easy to grow here. Out soil is very sandy and does not have much in the way of nutrients without fertilizing. Sounds like something to try though.

Last edited:
Where does that grow?
Well fertilised and well drained soils, pretty much anywhere Mint will grow Lemon Balm will also grow. I used to grow it in the full tropics too, 12 degrees from the equator and Australian heat. There it really flourished but couldn't flower and so I had to buy fresh seeds every year.

It should grow fine in Florida as long as you give it a well protected and reasonably shady area that's not too overcrowded with other plants. Along the northern wall of your house might be a good idea. A few leaves off of those plants help make a beautiful Lemon Chicken and they're really nice for seasoning fish with too.

As well as being a better than average insect repellent. :)

Wow, and l thought making fried musubi was a big deal, lol. I need to make it for a Hawaii houseguest. I am wondering if l could make mine with fried tofu?

Last edited:
Wow, and l thought making fried musubi was a big deal, lol. I need to make it for a Hawaii houseguest. I am wondering if l could make mine with fried tofu?
I have never had fried musubi. It sounds tasty.

Spam musubi usually isn't fried where I live. There's a layer of sticky rice, with warm spam on top, wrapped in a strip of nori.

Why didn't you cast the rocket fuel in the motor casing? I used to make perchlorate/epoxy/aluminum fuel that was easy to cast and supplied good thrust. I found that milling fuel was too risky and powder resulted in hard to control surges.

As it turns out, this particular batch isn't actually FOR rocket engines. I bought a 2016 Jeep Patriot a few years back. The factory radio was so ridiculously designed, it was nearly impossible to do anything straightforward with it. The designers had to go way out of their was to come up with such a stupid design. So I ripped it out and replaced it with an aftermarket radio. I recently came across this radio and decided to make a youtube video on how to make the factory radio work better. I am going to fill the chassis of the radio with this batch of fuel, with a small cavity reserved for a handful of the silver fulminate covered fragments harvested from Snap-N-Pops. Then replace the cover and set up a video camera to record as I fire an air rifle at the cover. The flame from the exploding silver fulminate should ignite the rocket fuel, which will likely create an impressive flame, and perhaps explode a bit. So surges aren't a problem. After the fire/explosion in the video, I then tell the viewers to get any aftermarket stereo to replace the one taken out, and voila! The factory radio is improved.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom