• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lithium Orotate

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I have been going through life events tinged with a great deal of grief and anxiety. I have found that some days it is unbearable. I am also an herbalist with over twenty years of identifying and utilizing natural medicines.

For a long while now, I have been researching Lithium Orotate. It is different from the forms of Lithium that are prescribed for the management of Bipolar and Manic Depressive Disorders. It is a low dose, mineral salt that one can purchase at a natural grocery store, or online.

I consulted my Naturopathic Doctor, and she said that at 5 mg, OTC Lithium Orotate was safe for anxiety and depression. And that one didn't need to measure a blood level of Lithium, as it is a micro dose, and very different chemically, from the prescription versions of Lithium.

I found myself, starting each day happily, but once the weight of what's going on in the lives of my loved ones sunk into me, I found myself tossed around in rolling waves of alternating anxiety and depression. Almost as bad as it was when I was in a hospital bed, bald, and very, very sick, praying to Jesus Christ that I could live to see my daughter grow up.

The depression is crippling, and the anxiety causes nonverbal shut downs. It's bad. Every day it's like this.

So I bought the Lithium Orotate. My thought was that although I do not have bipolar, perhaps it could stabilize the waves of anxiety and depression that is so bad that it's beginning to affect my relationships with others, and my ability to get anything done.

I started on 5 mg. I noticed within 20 minutes of taking it, I would get very sleepy and nap for about 10-20 minutes. Then I would wake up, and feel okay. Like the situations causing the anxiety and depression were there, but I could plan on how to manage these situations. I also noticed there was a decrease in ADHD type symptoms. I was able to get up and do chores, and see them through to the end.

Other physical side effects included less chronic pain in my hips and lower back. My chronic stomach aches went away.

Now I'm getting to the negative effects.

At night, as I was trying to fall asleep, I would start dreaming immediately, as soon as I would close my eyes. Almost as if it was hallucinations. This is not normal for me. Like I'd close my eyes and see brightly colored images, and maybe a storyline would happen. But only just for a moment. Almost as if REM dreaming sleep was starting early. I would open my eyes and although I had been dreaming, only a few moments had passed.

This strange dream state happened every night. So I quit taking Lithium Orotate.

I am thinking of going on magnesium citrate instead. In micro doses it acts as a mild muscle relaxer and antianxiety medicine. But it has no psychological side effects.

I wonder if the reason that the Lithium Orotate did that to me was the fact that it works on Neurotransmitters in the brain. When I had cancer, I was put on a neurotransmitter drug (gabapentin) for nerve pain, and it caused vivid bedtime hallucinations, much stronger than anything Lithium Orotate could ever do. The Gabapentin also caused tremors that lasted long after the drug was discontinued.

So I guess my reaction is that it's a good supplement for deep mental health crises, but it's not for me. Beware if you're sensitive to neurotransmitter drugs, as this works in a similar fashion.

I have been going through life events tinged with a great deal of grief and anxiety. I have found that some days it is unbearable. I am also an herbalist with over twenty years of identifying and utilizing natural medicines.

For a long while now, I have been researching Lithium Orotate. It is different from the forms of Lithium that are prescribed for the management of Bipolar and Manic Depressive Disorders. It is a low dose, mineral salt that one can purchase at a natural grocery store, or online.

I consulted my Naturopathic Doctor, and she said that at 5 mg, OTC Lithium Orotate was safe for anxiety and depression. And that one didn't need to measure a blood level of Lithium, as it is a micro dose, and very different chemically, from the prescription versions of Lithium.

I found myself, starting each day happily, but once the weight of what's going on in the lives of my loved ones sunk into me, I found myself tossed around in rolling waves of alternating anxiety and depression. Almost as bad as it was when I was in a hospital bed, bald, and very, very sick, praying to Jesus Christ that I could live to see my daughter grow up.

The depression is crippling, and the anxiety causes nonverbal shut downs. It's bad. Every day it's like this.

So I bought the Lithium Orotate. My thought was that although I do not have bipolar, perhaps it could stabilize the waves of anxiety and depression that is so bad that it's beginning to affect my relationships with others, and my ability to get anything done.

I started on 5 mg. I noticed within 20 minutes of taking it, I would get very sleepy and nap for about 10-20 minutes. Then I would wake up, and feel okay. Like the situations causing the anxiety and depression were there, but I could plan on how to manage these situations. I also noticed there was a decrease in ADHD type symptoms. I was able to get up and do chores, and see them through to the end.

Other physical side effects included less chronic pain in my hips and lower back. My chronic stomach aches went away.

Now I'm getting to the negative effects.

At night, as I was trying to fall asleep, I would start dreaming immediately, as soon as I would close my eyes. Almost as if it was hallucinations. This is not normal for me. Like I'd close my eyes and see brightly colored images, and maybe a storyline would happen. But only just for a moment. Almost as if REM dreaming sleep was starting early. I would open my eyes and although I had been dreaming, only a few moments had passed.

This strange dream state happened every night. So I quit taking Lithium Orotate.

I am thinking of going on magnesium citrate instead. In micro doses it acts as a mild muscle relaxer and antianxiety medicine. But it has no psychological side effects.

I wonder if the reason that the Lithium Orotate did that to me was the fact that it works on Neurotransmitters in the brain. When I had cancer, I was put on a neurotransmitter drug (gabapentin) for nerve pain, and it caused vivid bedtime hallucinations, much stronger than anything Lithium Orotate could ever do. The Gabapentin also caused tremors that lasted long after the drug was discontinued.

So I guess my reaction is that it's a good supplement for deep mental health crises, but it's not for me. Beware if you're sensitive to neurotransmitter drugs, as this works in a similar fashion.
Thank you so much for sharing this information!

I tried Lithium Orotate too. I have Bipolar Disorder, but I'm prescribed Quetiapine for that. Unfortunately I've been getting a lot of bad symptoms for 4-5 years which to be honest, I think was caused by being switched to a junk generic quetiapine.

To try and get some kind of stability again, I tried Lithium Orotate. I found it did kinda help with the anxiety and dulled the depression somewhat. But it didn't make a huge impact.

Here's the weird thing though, and it's not related to the Lithium Orotate. When I experience a shift in my mood, I often get what I've come to understand is Dysphoria. I get a lot of "chatter" in my head and I feel kinda stressed, it's hard to describe. I feel this urge to do something, like right this minute, but I can't figure out what, or conflicting impulses to do several things at once. It's kinda like being manic but it's not what I'd describe as a positive feeling.

I also get the slipping into dreams and immediately waking up like you described. It drives me a bit mad as I need to sleep but despite falling asleep every 20 seconds I wake up like I've been given adrenaline. Also I get this mild hallucination where I feel like I can still see the room around me with my eyes closed.

I wonder if the Lithium Orotate is affecting the regions of your brain in a way similar to what happens naturally with me? Like maybe it's starting to shift your mood and causing an experience similar to the dysphoria I get?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom