• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jewelry?

I own a lot of jewellery, but wear the same things every day. The rest is stored in a jewellery box. I wear my wedding ring and engagement ring on my left hand and another ring on my right hand. I also always wear a necklace that my husband bought me, which also has another two rings on it that he also bought for me. I lost a lot of weight and they're too big to wear on my fingers. As for makeup, I wear quite a lot and have never had an issue with it (except anything with lanolin in, as I'm allergic to it).

Takes it off (keeps catching on clothes/strangling me/dangling and swishing/OCD makes me adjust it constantly) either mid day, or at home

Oh yeah, definitely relate to that one! And I love the beauty of lots of jewelry, but some pieces are absolutely yucky for some reason.

As an Aspie male, I can say that jewelry has never "felt" right, to me. Wore a necklace or two, in my teens, but never could get over the feeling of "gauche-ness" in wearing them.
I have, however, worn watches off and on, for their utilitarianism.
I feel that it is also note-worthy to mention that I prefer non-descript, non-flamboyant colors and patterns of clothing--- black, white, navy blue, grey--- with some few exceptions.
Also...
No tattoos..

I was never able to wear a wedding ring. It felt constricting, and was a hindrance to hand washing. I don't understand how guys wash their hands wearing a wedding ring without the soap and water underneath the band bothering the crap out of them. In addition, rings can get caught in machinery with devastating injuries to fingers. I'm happily married without a wedding ring.

I was never able to wear a wedding ring. It felt constricting, and was a hindrance to hand washing. I don't understand how guys wash their hands wearing a wedding ring without the soap and water underneath the band bothering the crap out of them. In addition, rings can get caught in machinery with devastating injuries to fingers. I'm happily married without a wedding ring.

A wedding band was the only jewelry I ever wore consistently. It was loose enough that I could shift it when rinsing off my hands so I knew there wasn’t any soap trapped underneath. I had to take it off to put lotion on my hands though, which I do often due to having very dry skin.

I have a Fitbit which I wear as often as I can stand it. I have hairy arms and it annoys me if my watch moves up my arm and prevents my hair from laying down in its natural way. (I hope that made sense.) I have tried wearing bracelets at various times (like back in middle school when it was cool for guys to have a particular style of chain), but I can’t stand jewelry that moves. If it won’t stay where I want it then it comes off.

It’s interesting to see that a lt of female aspies have the same issue. I have wondered for a long time if my dislike of jewelry was related to being a rather hairy dude. I guess I can nix the idea of a full body shave since that probably wouldn’t help.

I like sparkly things, but I really don't like to wear jewelry. When I was younger, however, I used to wear pendants that had plastic figurines of cartoon characters or small dolls hanging from a cord that gave me something to "fidget" or play with. Maybe I should start wearing those again.:)

I prefer costume jewellery to anything expensive, but am allergic to non-precious metal which was triggered when I had my ears pierced >30 yrs ago. Not only is there very little choice in clip-on earrings, I also have thick earlobes, so clip-ons hurt after a while, so I only wear them for special occasions.
I have good dress-sense, and get obsessed with low necklines with no pendant or necklace. If I need to wear a pendant on bare skin, I wear it on a leather or cloth cord if possible.
I'm not particularly big on jewellery though, and don't wear a lot of it, although I am big on scarves and have a lot of them hanging in my wardrobe.
I've never been big on make-up either, and only wear it for special occasions. I find mascara makes my eyes heavy, so just put a bit on the tips of my eyelashes. I like quirky-coloured nail varnish, but rarely get around to putting it on as it takes so long to dry, then looks unsightly when it starts to peel off. As a server in a church, I'm also mindful of the need to look at least fairly professional when carrying the cross and administering the sacrament.
My hair seems to be going prematurely white, which makes me look washed out, so I need to dye it every now and again. But for reasons stated above, I stick to a sensible colour, rather than go for an array of bright colours which would make me look like a parrot!

Jewelry looks fantastic. But I often think necklaces especially are hassle. They tarnish easily, they're easy to lose and break, and they tangle too easily (gold and silver ones). The clasp often starts out on the nape of the neck and somehow drifts to the front, where the pendant should be. I find that the clasps are often itchy. If it has a sturdy string that doesn't tangle, it's better. I really like mood rings, though.

I pierced my ears and like earrings because they don’t get in my way. Especially now that my hair is shorter and they can be seen.

Anything else gets smacked into doorways and desktops and I love my rose quartz pendant but half the time I have it inside my shirt so it won’t catch on anything.

I LOVE jewelry and wear it almost every time I go out of the house. I am also younger (teen) and a bit of a tomboy, so don't wear a lot of makeup, but I usually wear at least a bit. People say I act like a tomboy, but look like a girly girl :)

I have some jewelry. I like to wear nice earings, have a few necklaces that I wear on very rare occasions, and a pair of bracelets that can be connected to turn into handcuffs which I wear a lot.

I tend to lean toward jewelry like stud earrings that don't dangle. I don't like the feel of jewelry moving against my skin, so necklaces and dangly earrings and also some bracelets can really bother me. I've worn necklaces for years without any issue. It really does depend on the style of the chain, since some chains tend to rub against the side of my neck and others really just slide against it, which isn't so bothersome. I've always really loved rings. Perhaps because they fit snugly, they don't bother me, and I really enjoy looking down and seeing something pretty on my finger. I wear my wedding ring set every day, and I love them. They are very thin, not bulky at all.

As far as makeup goes, I've gone through phases. There have been years when I rarely wore it at all. Then, there were a few years when I wore it pretty much every day. Now I am back to not really bothering with it. When I did wear it, I found that I ended up with a huge pile of makeup that irritated my skin, since almost everything I bought bothered me in one way or another. My skin is super sensitive, so I can't wear most foundations. My eyes are sensitive, so anything but the most gentle mascara makes my eyes water and sting. Now, I find that I am enjoying what I look like quite a bit, grey hairs and all, so I haven't worn makeup in weeks.

I do enjoy painting my nails every so often, but oddly enough, sometimes when I wear nail polish, it feels like my nails aren't breathable. That probably sounds like an odd thing to say, but I love nail polish so much that sometimes I will deal with that feeling just so I can wear it. I do find that more natural nail polish seems to not bother me as much as the ones with all the chemicals in them.

Mixed feelings with jewelery! I enjoy it, especially interesting shaped rings, but I rarely wear them, and when I do I'll somehow be aware of the sensation on my skin, even if it's just in the back of my mind. I have bracelets and necklaces I really like but I rarely get around to wearing them. Plus, I'm allergic to pretty much everything except for gold, silver and other precious metals, I get serious irritations, part of my ear looks bitten off cause I pierced my own ears and wore bad earrings in my teens :D
As for make-up, I used to wear it, but now I'm all bare faced and happy. I've just recently finished writing a huge article about cosmetics (too bad it's in my native language, I would've shared it), but trust me, the news is bad. They're filled with poison, these days one has to be ultra-careful when they buy anything. Luckily there are plenty of natural alternatives, and in the end you realize you don't even need so many products for a skin care regime, it's all a clever marketing ploy.

I do wear my nose ring, always, though. I had it more than a decade ago, so if I don't have it on, it feels like something integral is missing. I had other piercings as well but the nose one is the only one I kept, I just can't give it up, it feels natural there even if sometimes it's gonna fall or bug me when I blow my nose :)

I am on the way for being diagnosed officially. Thought I would just say.

Never wore when younger or early teens.

Received a jewellery box ( miniature wardrobe more like it), from my boyfriend at the time and had one piece of jewellery, consisting of a big black cross. ( was my attempt of being gothic lol), in there.

I started being interested when my husband ( not the same man) got me a necklace and earrings.

Cannot stand huge dangling earrings.

I have a lot now, but found they irritate me. However, my brother presented me with a necklace and when I wore it, I was fine.

I am not into diamonds etc. I mean, they are pretty, but I would be HORRIFIED if my husband came back with one for me. Plus it would show how little he knows me lol nope, he knows that his wife likes practical things.

He came home with a new frying pan for me and I would have sjw throwing their hands up in despair at me. I was jumping up and down with glee lol

As for make up. Just a dash of mascara now, sometimes. Never could cope with lipstick. Just end up kicking it off.

Hubby prefers me natural, so that helps.

I started wearing eye make up when I was 18. Just eye shadow and mascara and eye liner. I did try foundation, but never stayed on.

I am afraid I had rather a weird obsession on poking my eye lids, to remove bits of mascara. Found it so soothing when long strand, here and there came out.

I am a feminine female, but only dress sense and propriety.

I wear my dog tags but I don’t wear any other jewelry. I have some as gifts from parents but I’m not a big fan of wearing it. I wore my dog tags to my graduation, over a nice necklace...says it all.

Makeup:I never used to wear makeup until the last five years. I wear for costumes. I sometimes wear it if I have to go out and if it’s necessary but I don’t wear it often.

Can't stand wearing jewelry. They tried both medical alert bracelets and necklaces on me and I would literally tear them off without even realizing it.

I'm a tomboy, so I'm not about makeup and jewelry, but I always liked chokers cause they look like dog collars. I like to be like an animal. I actually saw a kid wearing a real dog collar in high school, but it was only that one day. But any metal jewelry I wore in the past, I ended up chewing on it. I have a weird urge to chew shiny metals. It's another way I stim. As far as chokers, they're okay. If I do wear earrings, I wear one (I choose one of my ears). I don't do necklaces (unless it's my chewie), and if I put on a bracelet, it would be on my ankles.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom