• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It’s Because of the Asperger’s

I have learned over the years that the world does not care if I have ASD, especially if I come across as a jerk. The world does not care if some the amusing, though eccentric behaviors manifest. The world does not care if the lights and noise at Walmart push me to the brink of a meltdown and I sometimes have to walk out leaving an entire cart of goods sitting in the aisle.

Agreed. Expecting pity, support or entitlement just doesn't seem to matter. But then if you "crunch the numbers" why should it? If the CDC is even close in determining our numbers to be around 2%, the odds of autism impacting the lives of others just isn't particularly significant.

There's just no incentive for the rest of the world to even notice. So whatever we can do to improve tolerance and understanding must ultimately come from us- not them. As for blame, I think of a line from the movie "Papillon". Where Dustin Hoffman says, "Blame is for God and small children."

Thank you for posting this, as there are many memories relating that I am having trouble dealing with.

Most of these memories come from elementary and middle school (US) when either some kids physically hit me, or other kids started verbally abusing me frequently. I reflect on why this would have happened, and I suspect that I said or did something that the other kid(s) saw as me being mean to them. However, I was doing/saying what I honestly thought was the "correct" or "right" thing to do. Reflecting on the situations, I honestly cannot see or remember if I did anything "wrong" or "mean." I just don't know why. It is very likely that my Aspergers and young mind were the driving factors that caused this bullying and pain.

I had no intention of being a jerk, nor did I want to hurt anyone. But others responded by being a jerk and hurting me.

Also, I've learned not to blame other people's bad behavior on myself.

Edit: I also take responsibility for any of my actual wrongdoings. No one should deliberately be a jerk to anyone.

So, I think Aspie children should be able to play the Aspie card so they can grow and learn how to interact at their own (awkward) pace. There should also be educational activities for NT children to help them understand Aspergers, and that Aspie kids are not being mean/spiteful, they just process info and communicate differently.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom