• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intrusive Thoughts

KevinMao133

My biggest problem: I overthink

Intrusive thoughts as well as obsessive ones frequently come up and I find it difficult to deal with these emotions

Any suggestions on how to deal with them?

If it's having a significantly negative impact on your life, I'd personally opt for medication. Another option, of course, is therapy. CBT is common for dealing with intrusive thoughts.

My biggest problem: I overthink

Intrusive thoughts as well as obsessive ones frequently come up and I find it difficult to deal with these emotions

Any suggestions on how to deal with them?
Obviously there should be some balance here. Thinking before you act and risk analysis is wise and should be done. However if taken too far or if it leads to overwhelming anxieties then nothing gets done, "analysis paralysis". If those thoughts are of special interests, it can be a good thing, such as goal-setting, something to look forward to doing, learning, etc. However if taken too far then it interferes with your daily activities and responsibilities.

Courage is being afraid, but doing it anyways. In today's world, most people, most of the time, are not staring death in the face, but rather it's relatively benign things that are simply anxiety-inducing. Do realize, that some of these anxiety-inducing things, after you commit yourself to doing them, you realize that it wasn't so bad after all. Sometimes you accomplish something you didn't think you could and it's a huge positive dopamine hit that puts a smile on your face.

I distract myself, if I start ruminating or obsessing in a way that's problematic. Usually by physically moving, walking into another room, and/or moving my thoughts to a different topic. Or I may use some reality checking and positive self talk, to calm myself on the issue and encourage myself to move on.

Maybe you can think about how to be your own best friend, and develop/have a part of you who is kind and wise towards yourself.

I only overthink. It's a matter of making goodness out of my overthinking. Lately, I've been focusing on tackling one frightening goal at a time. For example, I just went to the dentist for the first time in almost a decade. It was far easier than I thought, and I'm incredibly proud of myself for doing it. Utilize your active mind for your own good.

New Threads

Top Bottom