• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I may have Aspergers

JamesDean

I was going to say 'I think I may be on the spectrum' but it's a spectrum, so we're all on it...
I know Aspergers is now grouped into ASD.

There's a couple of things that point towards ASD, and some that symptoms I don't see in myself.

Empathy - I struggle with it.. I've questioned if I'm a sociopath in the past because I just don't seem to 'tick' how most people tick..

Eye Contact - Hate it, I can and do do it but I don't get how people can just continuously stare into peoples eyes.. I can actually do it pretty well with enough alcohol if I'm flirting.

Compassion - This is what made me throw out the idea of sociopathy, I do care, I do feel compassion.
I hate gambling adverts with a passion because they prey on the feeble minded - here have an addiction.
I have an incredibly pessimistic outlook on life - I see the advertising playing with our emotions, I see the stupid news changing the topic and it annoys me.

Small Talk - I struggle with this, I just don't care for it, but I've learned to do it. I was at a bus stop yesterday and this guy sat down beside me 'jesus it's cold out!', 'yeah, yeah it's pretty cold', 'must be near minus 7c!', 'it feels like it!' - That's been playing over in my head because I feel like I actually did okay.

I don't have many friends, I know guys from school and even then I rarely talk to them and even when we meet up I'm never talking.
When I do get involved its to bring up a fact.
I lost what friends I had in first year.. I just don't know what I did wrong but I know I wasn't liked by them and they made that obvious by ditching me on nights out, not inviting me places, leaving me out of plans when I was in the room.
Even when I showed them a song. A couple of days later they were talking about how glad they were they found it.
I just don't care for people - they like reality TV, I like learning how data is being used..
Everyone seems to love going out drinking, everyone talks the same small talk, they dress the same, they act the same.
They see a Ferrari drive past and think 'damn, what I'd give for one of them' - and they don't change anything in the pursuit of that goal, they want the big house and the fast car but they're quite happy spending all their money on drinks.

I get told I'm rude, but I don't try to be and more often than not I just shut up.
Goes with the 'I don't really care about people, at least not when they're up close'.

I get idioms but the image in my head is an actual heart beating under a sleeve, I find them quite interesting just because Ireland is full of them 'She's a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp!' - She's ugly.

Probably have social anxiety.

Above average intelligence, I've been told it a number of times and I'd consider myself quite smart.

Obsessive interests - 100%! I get so fixated on things; Poker, Trading Stocks.. obsessed with guitars, learning songs note for note, or learning about vintage guitars.
Learning about the financial crash in recent years.
I've wanted to throw out all my clothes and wear a set uniform everyday after looking into why Mark Zuckerberg wears the same clothes everyday.
Learning about designers despite never wearing clothes that look that weird.

At the moment it is trading, I want to learn to day trade, or really to just learn to trade stocks at home.
So I've been reading into how Dr Michael Burry (The Big Short, he also has Aspergers) got involved, and I've been going really deep into it.
There's a great part from his commencement speech at UCLA - "From my earliest years, I found that life, for all its amazing possibilities very often does not make sense, but least of often is not fair. Today it is absolutely not fair, the world you are being dealt. There are many ways to deal with an unfair world; One may tune out, drop out, run away, one may get angry, one may fight. One could do ultimately what I did, accept the world for what it is, work hard to exploit the opportunities it presents and try to do so in as just a manner as possible."
That's what I've been trying to live by because anything else left me hopeless and depressed beyond measure.

I love learning about how businesses work.. or more so how they're profitable (less about the people, more about the system) so what made McDonalds the giant they are today, what made Amazon, Ebay, Nike?
Why X succeeded but the rest failed, what competitive advantage had, they how did they adapt, how did they grow.

As a kid/teen I was really interested in how the body works, I wanted to be a surgeon, I wanted to just preform surgeries all day and ignore the world.

I don't know if I have a routine, but I drink a cappuccino each morning.. and I don't like when something unexpected comes up, and even less so if it's something I dislike - 'Let's go for a drive!'

My father things he has Aspergers, he also thinks I have it.
I have a cousin who has ASD, he's probably more on the severe end of things, I see some similarities but that's about it.

It just makes sense, a doctor has mentioned it before as I've gone to see doctors, counsellors and other mental health professionals in the past.
A psychiatrist mentioned Aspergers, I was worried I might have bipolar or something else because I had these fixations, I had terrible anger issues, I was pessimistic and annoyed all of the time.. and he mentioned Aspergers I said "No, I get people, like I understand them" - I really don't think that's true.

My nickname (unaffectionately) was ET, I was away with the fairies or 'out of this word', plus I've a big head.
I never know what to say in conversations, unless it's a fact I can bring up, or a point I can make, I just don't do well with the joking laughing nature..

What do you guys think?
Does this sound like ASD?

Sounds like you came to the right place to explore the possibilities of being on the spectrum of autism.

Welcome to AF.

Hi JamesSean and welcome. I understand your reasons for thinking you have aspergers and you may be right. This is a good forum for you to be part of and discover or relate to others. Also keep in mind that everyone on the spectrum is completely unique, just as those off the spectrum. Hope you enjoy it here.

Enjoy your time here, hope you like it here. It's a great forum with plenty of good discussion about all things Autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom