• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I recognize some patterns (OCD) but don't understand the tests with pictures

Diagnosed2015

V.I.P Member
A lot of information and determination of the Asperger's Syndrome appears to be in the ability to recognize a picture out of, say, 14 different examples. They want to know what the missing "picture" should look like.

I don't understand; I don't see any "amazing" pattern that pops out at me, rather than just seeing boxes with different pictures in them.

The same can be said for numbers, when there is a series and you are asked to pick the appropriate number to follow.

I was never good at math (I thought) or science but I was tested recently and found to be able to do "up to 10th grade" math, but a lot of my issues (things I can't do) are apparently taught in 5th grade, which involved a major move for me, so I'm deciding to learn some of the information myself.

I consider myself a self-learner, but I just can't get a handle on these pattern things, even if I can see patterns in things that no one else can. Also, during an IQ exam, the instructor put a bunch of blocks into a pattern (red blocks with white markings) and I thought I'd ace it (because, after all, I'm 57 and can copy something), but for whatever reason, it's as if that portion of my brain was unplugged, because no matter how hard I tried or how frustrated I became, I couldn't give them what they were looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We have a saying here. "If you've met one Aspie, you've met one Aspie". That we may or may not share any number of traits and behaviors and at different degrees of amplitude. From what I've seen in this community, we're all over the spectrum of IQ scores as well as academic strengths and weaknesses. Just as in our ability to perform executive functions or interpret spatial relationships. Things I personally tend to be good at. Yet I have little control over my OCD issues.

So you can't assume any "standards" in who and what we are. The "spectrum" aspect of autism is in reality, quite broad. We can be quite an eclectic group that on occasion has some remarkable similarities.

We have a saying here. "If you've met one Aspie, you've met one Aspie". That we may or may not share any number of traits and behaviors and at different degrees of amplitude. From what I've seen in this community, we're all over the spectrum of IQ scores as well as academic strengths and weaknesses. Just as in our ability to perform executive functions or interpret spatial relationships. Things I personally tend to be good at.

So you can't assume any "standards" in who and what we are. The "spectrum" aspect of autism is in reality, quite broad.

Thank you. That's why I asked, because apparently I am on the "extremely high functioning" Aspie scale, but some things I just can't do ... probably because I'm me.

Thank you. That's why I asked, because apparently I am on the "extremely high functioning" Aspie scale, but some things I just can't do ... probably because I'm me.

I sometimes feel the same way. Thinking I might lose all credibility with people if they knew more about my OCD thought processes. At times it mortifies me! But for whatever reasons they seem to not to put it all together.

And if I'm so "high functioning", why do I feel so "broken" in other ways? Yeah..me too.

I sometimes feel the same way. Thinking I might lose all credibility with people if they knew more about my OCD thought processes. At times it mortifies me! But for whatever reasons they seem to not to put it all together.

And if I'm so "high functioning", why do I feel so "broken" in other ways? Yeah..me too.

Once we were able to figure out what was bothering me (part of my obsessive thinking was why do I feel differet than others) and realized it was anxiety and OCD as well as ADHD and racing thoughts, everything started falling in to place. Just the acknowledge that I *was* different (not better or worse, just different) than others, assured me that whatever has been bothering me all this time was, in fact, present. The more I read about people in their early childhood years, the more I relate. There are some things that I just throw under the label of "quirky and eccentric," because it's politically correct.

Once we were able to figure out what was bothering me (part of my obsessive thinking was why do I feel differet than others) and realized it was anxiety and OCD as well as ADHD and racing thoughts, everything started falling in to place. Just the acknowledge that I *was* different (not better or worse, just different) than others, assured me that whatever has been bothering me all this time was, in fact, present. The more I read about people in their early childhood years, the more I relate. There are some things that I just throw under the label of "quirky and eccentric," because it's politically correct.

It's a weird - almost disturbing thing to discover so late in life that one's entire thought process may be quite different from most folks. I think about that a lot.

(I'm just a bit older than you.)

It's a weird - almost disturbing thing to discover so late in life that one's entire thought process may be quite different from most folks. I think about that a lot.

(I'm just a bit older than you.)

I have tried to explain to a previous therapist that "I see the world through the eyes of a child," but that I can turn into Mom or a business person in 30 seconds. What the doctors weren't realizing (but I am) was that I didn't "look" like I had AS, but they weren't asking how I process information or analyze it before speaking. I have that 30-second delay between realizing I have to do something, and actually responding. I am hoping to be able to work with socially anxious youngers (I make a distinction between social anxiety and social awkwardness). I can't relate to the awkwardness (I'll talk to anyone), but I might be able to help them a little with their anxiety (hopefully, without scaling mine up).

I have tried to explain to a previous therapist that "I see the world through the eyes of a child," but that I can turn into Mom or a business person in 30 seconds. What the doctors weren't realizing (but I am) was that I didn't "look" like I had AS, but they weren't asking how I process information or analyze it before speaking. I have that 30-second delay between realizing I have to do something, and actually responding. I am hoping to be able to work with socially anxious youngers (I make a distinction between social anxiety and social awkwardness). I can't relate to the awkwardness (I'll talk to anyone), but I might be able to help them a little with their anxiety (hopefully, without scaling mine up).

why would the therapist say about you being a mom?

New Threads

Top Bottom