• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you guys feel about the DSM-5 not having PDD-NOS?

aatherto

Hey everyone! I have posted here before but i like to include this little blurb about me. My name is Austin. I am a senior Psychology student at the University of Notre Dame. I am in a class specifically about the changing DSM - 5 diagnostic criteria for Asperger's Syndrome and Autism Spectrum disorders. We have talked and researched a lot on how the Aspie community has responded to the changing criteria (both positive and negative). But we haven't really looked into how people who dont have Asperger's but still are affected by the change. I am really interested in hearing some opinions from people who have a diagnosis of Autism or PDD and how they view the change in criteria. I have a lot of questions so if you are at all interested in helping me understand more about this interesting change and your opinion please pm me know!

Now for my main question; the change for Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified is pretty similar to the change for Asperger's in the sense that both diagnoses will no longer exist under the new criteria. How do those with a current diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified feel about this absorption into the Autism Spectrum Disorders? Do you think it is a good move or not?

New Threads

Top Bottom