• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help a comic creator with an autistic child

IContainMultitudes

V.I.P Member
THE GARLICKS: Pandora Orange, Fail Vampire

THE GARLICKS: Pandora Orange, Fail Vampire by Lea Hernandez — Kickstarter

Hello!

I'm Lea Hernandez, and I need your help to fund the production and printing of my sixth graphic novel, THE GARLICKS: Pandora Orange, Fail Vampire.

Here's what comics pros say about THE GARLICKS: "...funny, human, silly, gorgeous, sweet and smart," --Kurt Busiek (Astro City, Marvels), "Lea's stuff is terrific."-- Neil Gaiman (Sandman, The Graveyard Book),"Lovely work."--Jim Lee (artist of Justice League, co-publisher, DC Comics).

I'm an award-wining 25-year veteran of comics, creator of three graphic novels, co-creator of a fourth, artist of a fifth, not to mention stuff for Marvel, DC, Disney, Image, and Oni Press.

Become a backer and make yourself a part of this project and get recognition, books, art and more!

Update #15: What a Successful Kickstarter Does for Me

THE GARLICKS: Pandora Orange, Fail Vampire by Lea Hernandez ? What a Successful Kickstarter Does for Me — Kickstarter

About half of the post-fees and taxes raised for THE GARLICKS via Kickstarter goes towards paying me to produce the art for THE GARLICKS, which will be serialized online three times a week, readable for FREE, and then will be collected into a trade paperback.

This pay I've budgeted for gives me a year of financial security so I can focus solely on making THE GARLICKS. In the interest of letting you see exactly where your pledges (and your wonderful confidence in me) are/is going, here's my monthly budget:

My base pay is $125. a page, 12 pages minimum per month. That pays for this on a monthly basis:

Rent $300.
Food $300. (Even rice and beans cost money, and I have cats and two teenagers.)
Utilities $240. (Hey, busted water heater!) and phone.
Gas $50. (Going without a car isn't an option in a city without proper public transportation.)
Summer daycare (and evening daycare during the school year) for my son with autism. He requires constant supervision and time with peers. $200. (Without the daycare, I can't work, his sister can't work, and we're all effing miserable.)
Health insurance $30.
Car insurance $80.
Meds $40. (That are, quite literally, lifesaving.)
Paying back personal loans made to me and bills that piled up while I wasn't working: $150./month

The remainder goes into savings against large regular expenses like car inspection and registration, tax preparation, taxes, and also emergencies or disasters. (Broken car, broken glasses, the aforementioned busted water heater, sick me, sick kids, you get the idea.) Things that can wipe out funds for rent, food and insurance. (Hi ho, drove around with expired registration for three months, car water heater blows up, prescription co-pay doubles...)

I'm hoping this will make you more likely to pledge or even increase your pledges! Your money is going towards not only a new graphic novel, but helps a cartoonist and single parent of two teens (one special needs, one hoping to go to college) keep her household together.

THANK YOU! Please keep sharing THE GARLICKS Kickstarter across all your social networks!

xo,

Lea

The Kickstarter wasn't successfully funded, but Lea Hernandez says that she's going to give it another try in August, so keep watching for that if you want to support this project.

This campaign didn't make it all the way to $19,000, but apparently $10,258 is good enough. Yay!

Last edited by a moderator:

New Threads

Top Bottom