• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings from Xena

Brink4ce

Hello, my name is Briana. I'm a 23 year old female from Georgia, United States.
I have recently received diagnostic confirmation for Aspergers, though it isn't "official" yet. The prospective diagnosis is relieving (because it brings me personal understanding] and also frightening [knowing that AS themes have infiltrated my entire life and that now I'll have to embrace my differences instead of fighting them).

I'm in school for a Bioengineering degree and have reached the internship part where social ability is seemingly under 1000x magnification. The social-emphasis has intensified my perception of deficits and naturally made me feel really isolated, restless, and on the fritz- like a short wired light-bulb that, accordingly to the laws of probability, shorts off when you need the light and comes back on when you don't.

Anyway, I'm not wanting to vent here. Sorry. I do want to express how great it is to find a community of people who I am safe with. That's amazing.
I'm glad to join y'all. :)

Hi, how did you receive your diagnoatic confirmation? I went to a local therapist to find a diagnosis but they were not helpful at all.

Last edited:
Hi, Molly-
the doctor that my mom assists has a son who was diagnosed, so when I talked to my mom about my difficulties, mountains of anecdotal evidence ensued (apparently she had suspicions and talked with her about them)- so when I went to the counselor, I had a pretty detailed list of specific situations, habits, etc. and told her about the relative suggestions of Aspergers.

Hi, Molly-
the doctor that my mom assists has a son who was diagnosed, so when I talked to my mom about my difficulties, mountains of anecdotal evidence ensued (apparently she had suspicions and talked with her about them)- so when I went to the counselor, I had a pretty detailed list of specific situations, habits, etc. and told her about the relative suggestions of Aspergers.
Thanks for replying Brink. I have many symptoms and stories that started since I can remember. I guess I have to find a good doctor. Did they do a neuropsych evaluation?

Thanks for replying Brink. I have many symptoms and stories that started since I can remember. I guess I have to find a good doctor. Did they do a neuropsych evaluation?
Nope, I'm guessing that'll be part of the assessment by the clinician that I got referred to? I'll let you know how that goes next month though!

What's bioengineering - anything to do with biomimicry?
That's under the bioengineering umbrella. There's a guy in the Biotech club at school that is researching bio applications for sustainable housing. It's super fascinating.
I tend to prefer the broader approach of "Bioengineering" because it implies a greater flexibility to go that direction or another.

New Threads

Top Bottom