• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings from Connecticut

emillard

Hey all, my name is Eric, I'm from southern Connecticut USA and I'm trying to work with my daughter to get a aspie diagnosis.

Quick background, my daughter was born early @ 27wks, just north of 2#. She's now 8 years old and will be turning 9 in January. She has mild cerebral Palsy, and this has masked many things I think. She has exhausted PT/OT benefits related to CP, and in my estimation would benefit from additional services.

At her last physical exam (August) we switched doctors within the practice, and she (the doctor) asked if we had an autism diagnosis. She went so far as to make a presumptive aspergers diagnosis. She recommended a facility for evaluation, but unfortunately they do not participate with any insurance and the eval is multiple thousands of dollars. The doctor specifically recommended "a full autism evaluation; specifically comprehensive neurophysiological, communication, and psychiatric evaluations."

I'm now working with a health advocate through my employer to find a facility that can conduct this evaluation and participates with my insurance plan. Additionally, we're working with the elementary school; we just had a PPT (Planning, Placement Team) Meeting meeting this morning in the hopes that the requisite testing would be done by the school.

Our hopes a twofold-
* Get a diagnosis code on file so that additional services will become available
* Come up with personalized recommendations on how to (for lack of a better way of explaining it) parent her.

On an online AQ test, as best as we could answer the questions, she scored a 36.

Thats it for now, thanks for taking the time to read this.

-e

Hi and welcome. Being from the UK, every time I read about the cost of medical treatments in America it amazes me why the system is the way it is! I hope you can get the help you need for both yourself and your daughter. There are lots of interesting and helpful people here in AC, so I hope you jump in and get some benefit from your time here :)

New Threads

Top Bottom