• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going on a trip next month

My phobia of vomiting isn't just an irrational fear that can be treated by therapy. It's both irrational AND rational. Because I have Retrograde Cricopharyngeus Dysfunction (Google it if you don't know what it is), it makes vomiting not only very difficult but painful too, and we can end up choking on it even if we are leaning forward. It's a scary experience. People who don't have this nor emetophobia don't realise how severely frightening vomiting is (not saying anyone in this thread don't realise).

My aunt said I can sit in the front of the car as we travel, and the twins (my two aunts) don't mind sitting in the back.

I'd like to Bluetooth my phone to the car stereo so that I can have myself in control of music, which might distract my thoughts from nausea and wouldn't need my headphones (my headphones are Bluetooth because my phone doesn't have a wire slot thing for some reason, but Bluetooth headphones don't last long between charging and it's a pain to have to keep charging them).

But I worry that wanting others to listen to my music might make me egocentric. People seem to object to listening to music that isn't their's, but whenever I listen to music it's always on my own and I'd love to share my music with others. My music is the sort that everyone are likely to enjoy, a mixture of different genres and a very good beat. I express my music, art and writing on my own and it feels so lonely. Is it egocentric for me to want to show my music to others, as in sharing my music with others?
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as you're open to also listen to other people's music (or use headphones during that time) if they wish to listen to something else. I think that's something for which open communication is the key.
E.g. I don't like putting on my music loudly in the car (or anywhere, for that matter) because my music feels so private and personal to me that it feels weird and very vulnerable to have someone else listen to it. I hate choosing music for others to listen to, I'm always very embarrassed. So we usually listen to my partner's music in the car, unless I choose something else. But he usually skips particularly heavy metal songs because he knows I don't like them. People are different, there. Maybe check in once in a while with your fellow travelers if they're fine with the music or if they would like to listen to something else, to be considerate, and it should be fine.

I remember what it's called now. Rescue Remedy. If you Google 'Rescue Remedy' it'll say. :)
I have no experience with this, but it seems fine to take. It's a herbal remedy, probably a considerable placebo effect. Those things are trial and error, you could just try and see if it helps you.
My phobia of vomiting isn't just an irrational fear that can be treated by therapy. It's both irrational AND rational. Because I have Retrograde Cricopharyngeus Dysfunction (Google it if you don't know what it is), it makes vomiting not only very difficult but painful too, and we can end up choking on it even if we are leaning forward. It's a scary experience. People who don't have this nor emetophobia don't realise how severely frightening vomiting is (not saying anyone in this thread don't realise).
I know what R-CPD is, and I'm sorry that you suffer from it. I didn't mean to insinuate that your fears were irrational, because especially since you suffer from R-CPD, they're not. But those things often go hand in hand. For example: I have asthma. It's not uncommon that people with asthma, especially after they had a really bad attack, develop a big fear of getting asthma attacks (a normal reaction), and therefore panic when they notice early symptoms like shortness of breath or fast-beating heart - things that can happen often during a normal day, unrelated to asthma. That panic reaction then can worsen or even actually cause an asthma attack, which might have been much less severe or might not have happened at all without the panic reaction. In those cases, psychotherapy to control the fear and the panic reactions can actually improve the underlying asthma, as well, because in the end, people end up with less symptoms and less asthma attacks.
That's what I meant for your case too. Therapy to work on the fear and panic of vomiting (and diarrhea, in your case), could actually lead to less nausea, less fear and more quality of life. Of course, vomiting for you would still be a very scary and potentially dangerous experience (like an actual asthma attack is), but you might end up with less fear and less nausea.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as you're open to also listen to other people's music (or use headphones during that time) if they wish to listen to something else. I think that's something for which open communication is the key.
E.g. I don't like putting on my music loudly in the car (or anywhere, for that matter) because my music feels so private and personal to me that it feels weird and very vulnerable to have someone else listen to it. I hate choosing music for others to listen to, I'm always very embarrassed. So we usually listen to my partner's music in the car, unless I choose something else. But he usually skips particularly heavy metal songs because he knows I don't like them. People are different, there. Maybe check in once in a while with your fellow travelers if they're fine with the music or if they would like to listen to something else, to be considerate, and it should be fine.
My aunt is open to any music but my other aunt is more fussy. I can chat about music while listening to it (no, music isn't a special interest of mine). My music isn't extreme, and isn't something you either love or hate. Most of it is just casual pop music that's quite good to listen to on a road journey.
I have no experience with this, but it seems fine to take. It's a herbal remedy, probably a considerable placebo effect. Those things are trial and error, you could just try and see if it helps you.
I'm seeing the doctor on Tuesday and I'll talk about this and see what he or she can do.
I know what R-CPD is, and I'm sorry that you suffer from it. I didn't mean to insinuate that your fears were irrational, because especially since you suffer from R-CPD, they're not. But those things often go hand in hand. For example: I have asthma. It's not uncommon that people with asthma, especially after they had a really bad attack, develop a big fear of getting asthma attacks (a normal reaction), and therefore panic when they notice early symptoms like shortness of breath or fast-beating heart - things that can happen often during a normal day, unrelated to asthma. That panic reaction then can worsen or even actually cause an asthma attack, which might have been much less severe or might not have happened at all without the panic reaction. In those cases, psychotherapy to control the fear and the panic reactions can actually improve the underlying asthma, as well, because in the end, people end up with less symptoms and less asthma attacks.
That's what I meant for your case too. Therapy to work on the fear and panic of vomiting (and diarrhea, in your case), could actually lead to less nausea, less fear and more quality of life. Of course, vomiting for you would still be a very scary and potentially dangerous experience (like an actual asthma attack is), but you might end up with less fear and less nausea.
It was nothing to do with what you, or anyone else, said in this thread.
It's just I get so embarrassed very easily, and diarrhoea (or gas associated with it) often smells of putrid eggs, which is an embarrassing smell to make in company. I don't want people thinking I make that kind of stink (I don't usually, only when I have stupid diarrhoea). And vomiting is just horrid. You wouldn't want to hear me vomit. When I vomit (which is rare but still doesn't stop me feeling fearful that it might happen when I'm out) all I want to be is alone at home near a toilet and a bed. I don't want anybody seeing or hearing me vomit. It would probably traumatize them for life, as it sounds like I'm being strangled under water. And due to R-CPD, it takes longer for me to vomit than it does most people. So I could be gagging and retching for up to a couple of minutes, uncontrollably, getting no oxygen. The last time I was sick (6 years ago) I ran out of oxygen because the vomit was taking forever to come up but I couldn't stop the gagging, and when the vomit finally did come I involuntarily inhaled, due to being unable to inhale for some time, and the vomit went shooting down into my lungs. It was scary. Really, really scary. Luckily I was alone in my room in the middle of the night, but what if it had been in the day and I was out somewhere?

Yes, I know that could happen to anybody but I don't think others worry about it as much as I do, unless they have emetophobia or bad experiences with vomiting.

New Threads

Top Bottom