• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone have any Physical symptoms along with their Autism symptoms?

I have some mild sensory sensitivity.
I have some motor coordination difficulties and uneven muscle tone in my face.
I have bowel issues which may or may not be linked to autism.
I have hyperacusis, this may also be linked to autism.

(Short List)

I have many "physical symptoms" but I am unsure of their related to Autism, the most interesting is that I was born with a hole in my tongue (less than a inch into my mouth, and only goes halfway down in my tongue), I'm not sure what caused this, I was told what the doctors suspected the cause was (But I forget), and that they said it was the first case they have ever seen. (I was born in a fairly large hospital in Altoona).

I also have some other physical abnormalities that I cannot be sure if there related, for example Hypermetabolism, abnormal eye coordination, the eye coordination I discovered myself several year ago and is one of the main causes for me requiring glasses for small text. If I take them off and focus my eyes together I can see most small text but it's uncomfortable at this point in time.

-- There is something very interesting that I do not know the reason for, myself and my twin that was born with Autism are the only ones to not inherit devastating genetic conditions from our parents and extended family, which would be hereditary spherocytosis, along with some more mild conditions like baldness.

I have physical issues as well autism so I don’t know what causes what. When I was kid the Pediatrician told my Mum all autisc people have some physical issues just not quite like mine.

I have ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Spincerrebeller ataxia.

I have some mild sensory sensitivity.
I have some motor coordination difficulties and uneven muscle tone in my face.
I have bowel issues which may or may not be linked to autism.
I have hyperacusis, this may also be linked to autism.

I have sensory sensitivity, dyspraxia, dysgraphia etc. All the usual things.

I also have comorbid epilepsy and depression.

I also have some other physical abnormalities that I cannot be sure if there related, for example Hypermetabolism, abnormal eye coordination, the eye coordination I discovered myself several year ago and is one of the main causes for me requiring glasses for small text. If I take them off and focus my eyes together I can see most small text but it's uncomfortable at this point in time.

I found this the other day and am wondering if it applies to me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfanoid

I am just over 6'4" but have an armspan of 6'11". My hands are disproportionately large as well. I have joint problems and am badly farsighted. There are many people in my family who are very tall and have hypermobile joints and/or stretchy skin.

I hit severe burnout physically after too much stress in my job and my body crashed. I never did cover and now have autoimmune issues. I have hard of hearing and went deaf in one ear, then my good ear hearing will swing to hearing sensitivity. Same with light and skin sensitivity and reactive airways. They rise and fall in severity. Muscle spasms, nerve and spine issues. Eyes don’t track perfectly together.

I have heard that autoimmune problems and autism are linked.
You got any good links you collected on the autoimmune link. Do you also have genetic studies on autism. i have four in my family offically diagnosed autism.
i can google but if you have some good stuff I’d like to read it if you kept the links.

(Short List)

I have many "physical symptoms" but I am unsure of their related to Autism, the most interesting is that I was born with a hole in my tongue (less than a inch into my mouth, and only goes halfway down in my tongue), I'm not sure what caused this, I was told what the doctors suspected the cause was (But I forget), and that they said it was the first case they have ever seen. (I was born in a fairly large hospital in Altoona).

-- There is something very interesting that I do not know the reason for, myself and my twin that was born with Autism are the only ones to not inherit devastating genetic conditions from our parents and extended family, which would be hereditary spherocytosis, along with some more mild conditions like baldness.
I wonder if spherocytosis is a disease that protects you from other diseases like sickle cell is supposed to help protect from malaria as if the body created a disease to fight a worse disease. Baldness is normal unless you are young. Hypermetabolism sometimes becomes thyroid disease and can swing to hypometabolism and be an autoimmune issue. I’m not trying to diagnose people. i’m trying to understand if it is microbiome issues,genetics, toxins or a combination from the three. I’m shocked I have four autistics in my family tree.

I wonder if spherocytosis is a disease that protects you from other diseases like sickle cell is supposed to help protect from malaria as if the body created a disease to fight a worse disease. Baldness is normal unless you are young. Hypermetabolism sometimes becomes thyroid disease and can swing to hypometabolism and be an autoimmune issue. I’m not trying to diagnose people. i’m trying to understand if it is microbiome issues,genetics, toxins or a combination from the three. I’m shocked I have four autistics in my family tree.

I know baldness is normal unless your young, the baldness I refer to that (I did not inherit) started for several people of family at around 15-16, and I doubt hereditary Spherocytosis it is a disease to protect against others it's an extremely bad disease, eventually requiring spleen removal.

Doctors did find multiple cysts on my thyroid (probably related to my increase metabolism) and they have checked them yearly for several years and they haven't changed, (I believe they may of shrunk actually) -- Despite this I don't believe I have an autoimmune disease, and I don't believe any of my family members do either (only blood diseases are common in my family history from my knowledge), in which I didn't inherit any of them.

-- I should add a new detail to what I said in my original post, myself and my twin were also born prematurely I believe by around 6.5 weeks, and I apparently couldn't breathe, I believe that is related to the hole in my tongue but probably not anything else I have.

Last edited:
Thyroid problems control sex hormones. The earliest test for Hashimotos Thyroiditis is excess testosterone and autoimmune antibodies. My testosterone was sky high and I had very hairy arms.

New Threads

Top Bottom