• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Curing Autism", this bothers me

I am firmly in the ASD 1 category. If I could "cure" my autism and it was something within my means to do so, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd happily erase 40 points of IQ to be rid of it. Autism has given me nothing but rejection and exclusion my entire life. There is no benefit to it.

I am where I am despite autism.

You speak my mind, and i think i also have other 'conditions' and worse autism, autism has felt like a curse if i want to be honest.

I have no problem with a group praying over a willing autist; they will prove to be effective or ineffective. If God wants to make an autistic person into an NT person, no doubt he can do it. However, IMO, it is probably praying against the Lord’s will. I believe that the Lord knit us together in our mother’s womb; we’re not liable to convince him he made a mistake. Likewise, never heard of the Lord changing a person’s sex. For every unusual idea, it seems there’s a ‘Christian’ group that carries it to a ridiculous extreme.

It is tempting to think of Paul as autistic, for the reasons mentioned. He kept his interest collection very tight and focused. His writing encompasses the known and unknown universe, but is meticulously reasonable.

I have to wonder about Jeremiah. He was so very logical, and kept making the mistake of thinking that people are logical; makes me think of me. But, he operated according to his beliefs, come hell or high water; you know how single minded those autists can be. He was also very open to God’s method of communication, not doubting at all. Of course, in the end it doesn’t matter if he could be labeled autistic; he was created for his job and you were created for yours.

We live in a fallen world, i wouldn't say all of autism is 'sickness' but for me a lot of its traits could be not God.design.

I still hate the idea of “curing autism.” My entire life I was told that certain things about me was wrong and could never be accepted by society and I was expected to change everything about myself just to please everyone else while I became miserable because I knew this change would actually be bad for me because it wasn’t really who I was. Why am I the one that needs to change when it is society itself that needs to do it when it comes to accepting autism as a disability that you can adapt to and to stop allowing people to say and do ableist stuff about autism and never be corrected or told that it is wrong to treat those with it as if they are nothing but nuisances that the world would be better off not having? I was constantly told that I couldn’t do or never do things just because I had autism and it would always Make me unable to do things like everyone else. The media is constantly getting away with being ableist towards people with autism and spreading misinformation about it and I am sick and tired of it. You don’t see people saying that people with diabetes aren’t normal and are burdens and need to be cured or kids actively ignoring a deaf kid just because they think the kid is “weird” because they used their hands to communicate because they can’t hear and don’t talk because they are nonverbal. So why is it acceptable to act this way when it comes to autism? I’m not the true problem and I don’t need to be cured because there is absolutely nothing wrong with me being autistic.

New Threads

Top Bottom