• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

CBD oil for Autism in Australia?

I am extremely interested in this as I have definitely found cannabis helpful to me in social situations and anxiety attacks. However I only use it on rare occasions as I refuse to smoke ANYTHING and the effects of eating it usually last for several hours. It also can help me to sleep which is a God send for someone who is a chronic insomniac as I have been for 47 years.

Absolutely ridiculous.
How on earth does cannabis treat social difficulties?
How does it help me read people's intentions?
How does it help me know who is manipulating me and who is my friend?
How does it help me know when I should speak and when I should text and what I should say?
How does it help me feel comfortable in society when I feel like an alien?
Does it make me look my age?
Does it make me comfortably make eye contact?
Does it make me feel confident and in control and not lost and out of sync?
Does it make me aware of all silent social cues?
Does it increase my awareness of unspoken body language?

It may alleviate insomnia and associated issues surrounding those who have ASD but not ASD itself. ASD is not an illness. NT have insomnia. NT have anxiety. These are not ASD specific. ASD is how the brain is wired. You can't catch it. It's not a disease. They should have left ASD out of it and just listed it as a possible alternative for insomnia, and whatever else they were spruiking.

Absolutely ridiculous.
How does it help me know when I should speak and when I should text and what I should say?

It may alleviate insomnia and associated issues surrounding those who have ASD but not ASD itself. ASD is not an illness. NT have insomnia. NT have anxiety. These are not ASD specific. ASD is how the brain is wired. You can't catch it. It's not a disease. They should have left ASD out of it and just listed it as a possible alternative for insomnia, and whatever else they were spruiking.
I can't say what other people's experience would be. I can only speak for my own. However I did discuss this on another thread 'Just Wondering......' and others agreed with me.

Absolutely ridiculous.

It's important to remember that the article is referencing trials being undertaken using CBD oil, which is considered a none psychoactive extract which contains zero THC, the active ingredient which gets you high, not 'cannabis'. The article also doesn't mention ASD ever being thought of as being an illness or disease. It also never claims to combat what you put in your 'how does' list. The trials simply found "cannabis extracts were significantly more effective than the conventional medicines the children were using, including atypical antipsychotics".

I don't use cannabis so it makes no difference to me, but your post does suggest many things that are never claimed, they are quite specific in mentioning treating symptoms in
children who were already being treated with some quite heavy pharmaceuticals and not something which should be given to the autistic community at large.

I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, bone injuries, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this article about a marijuana strain from http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/purple-weed/ . Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy.

I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, bone injuries, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this article about a marijuana strain from http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/purple-weed/ . Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy.

It’s important to distinguish the difference between the two oils. CBD oil contains no THC (the part which gets you high), it has been removed. You most likely haven’t had much luck finding any scientific studies on CBD oil being used to treat autism as in the UK where I’am, and I believe most of the world it was illegal until recently and considered to be of no medical value.

I believe CBD oil only became available in the UK over the counter this year and is marketed as a food supplement often in health food stores. Due to it now no longer being illegal the studies and trials have begun. I seem to remember Israel is at the cutting edge of CBD/autism work at the moment. The U.K. just announced yesterday coincidentally that it would shortly begin to license cannabis products for medical purposes but again that is products containing THC as well as CBD.

You are correct though that as far as I know the evidence of it’s efficacy is largely anecdotal until the studies and trials are concluded, so at the moment ‘the jury are out’ as they say.

New Threads

Top Bottom