• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Camera SDHC Card

WhitewaterWoman

V.I.P Member
I have a trail camera like hunters use to surveille animal trails. And there is a disk in it that hold all the pictures. But I don't know how to get pictures from the disk to the computer. Thank you,

Here are some pictures.
IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1908 (1).jpg

Last edited:
If your computer doesn't already have an SD card slot, you'll have to buy an SD card adapter, which just plugs into a USB port on your PC (and then you put the SD card into the adapter). You can get a basic one for like $10-15.

Once you've done all that and you have the contents of your SD card opened up on your computer, you'd just open the DCIM folder and there's all your images and you can just copy them off the SD card into wherever you want to put them on your actual PC.

What you need is a USB "Card Reader" that has an SDHC card slot. Once you plug the SDHC card into the card reader, and the card reader is plugged into a USB port on your computer, the contents of the SDHC card will show up in whatever file manager you're using inside a DCIM folder. (There may be a subfolder within the DCIM folder that contains the image files shot from your digital camera.)

Last edited:
I have a camera like that, on mine I can just plug a USB cable directly into the camera and the computer and look at the video without transfering it to the computer, or I can transfer them. There is a lid on it that I open to get to the buttons/controlpanel, the opening for the USB cable is there. I don't know what type you have, but it should be an opening for a USB cable on it somewhere. A small one maybe, the plug that goes into the computer could be bigger than the one that goes into the camera.

usb.PNG camera.png

Last edited:
I have a camera like that, on mine I can just plug a USB cable directly into the camera and the computer and look at the pictures without tranfering them to the computer, or I can transfer them. There is a lid on it that I open to get to the buttons/controlpanel, the opening for the USB cable is there. I don't know what type you have, but it should be an opening for a USB cable on it somewhere. A small one probably, the plug that goes into the computer is bigger than the one that goes into the camera.

View attachment 121203
My Canon comes with such a connection, but for use only with proprietary software (for Windows) that transfers images directly from the camera to my computer's hard drive.

If the OP's camera comes with such software, that's probably the easiest way to transfer images. I loved the software that came with my Canon, but when I switched to Linux I had to rely on my card reader.

I'd think it depends on the individual camera in question as to whether or not one could use such a cable to transfer images directly, and bypass the SDHC card altogether. I just know that it cannot be done with my Canon DSLR without their software.

Last edited:
My Canon comes with such a connection, but for use only with proprietary software (for Windows) that transfers images directly from the camera to my computer's hard drive.

If the OP's camera comes with such software, that's probably the easiest way to transfer images. I loved the software that came with my Canon, but when I switched to Linux I had to rely on my card reader.

My Browning trail camera actually found and automatically installed the software I needed the first time I plugged it into my computer, I didn't have to do anything, so that was very convenient.

I have seen that the new trail cameras have wireless connection, you can download it to your phone or whatever without having to remove the camera from where it is hanging. That's handy.

Last edited:
My Browning trail camera actually found and automatically installed the sofware I needed the first time I plugged it into my computer, so that was very convenient.
Exactly- when used with proprietary software.

Which may or may not come with the OP's camera. One thing for sure though, not all digital cameras download images on the same premise. Card readers essentially circumvent such considerations. Not as fancy or functional, but they get the job done.

I think it comes with the trail cameras, it would be a little strange if it didn't.

Probably, assuming the OP paid a premium for such a camera...which I'd think would be likely. But I can't say for sure...without a brand and model #.

I sure did enjoy the software that Canon provided though. It could do very fast batching, uniformly changing DPI settings, resolution and numbering hundreds of pictures in a matter of seconds or minutes. Far more eloquent than taking an SD card and simply fitting into a slot.

ezgif-5-afcebbe0ac.jpg

Echoing others, but you can get cool little hubs like this one that pretty much handle anything that your PC / laptop doesn't come equipped with. Would definitely attempt to locate the DCIM / 'pictures' folder with the camera plugged in via usb cable, as that might be your best bet if you don't have a way to plug in SD cards. Just make sure the SD card is in the camera and you should be able to read the data contents via the PC.

Also, the camera might even have bluetooth or wifi, phone connectivity or something like that. Most cameras do nowadays, which makes things a bit easier. If you're unsure, you can set any bluetooth-capable device to discover mode and suss it out. They usually have pretty obvious default names, too.

Last edited:
Once you have it plugged into your PC, looking at the file structure will show that you have a new memory location. Navigate to it and look for the DCIM folder. Your pics should be there.

Thank you all. I appreciate your help. I was wanting to delete all the pictures on the disk, but I found a new disk and inserted that. I still don't know if I have it figured out or not. I am going to be away for two weeks and want to photograph anyone who comes down my very long drive.

Thank you all. I appreciate your help. I was wanting to delete all the pictures on the disk, but I found a new disk and inserted that. I still don't know if I have it figured out or not. I am going to be away for two weeks and want to photograph anyone who comes down my very long drive.
Did your camera come with any of its own software to transfer images directly from your camera to your computer? Makes a big difference as to what your options really are. Otherwise it would seem that you must get yourself a card reader so it can read your SDHC card and transfer it directly to a computer OS.

Last edited:
Judge, Thank you for your input.

This is a game trail camera of my husband's that he left here. I am trying to use it to monitor the access road to my house. So I don't know much about it. I've watched him download photos and he has always taken out the disk and put it in his laptop. But I know little about it.

No one should be on that access road except me, at this point in time.

I am afraid he is going to come while I am gone - two weeks in California with my brother and SIL. I don't want him on my property. If he does come on my property uninvited I'd like to have a record of that.

I have changed all the locks and put up a new gate with a new lock. But these things are hardly keep out a determined intruder.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

This is a game trail camera of my husband's that he left here. I am trying to use it to monitor the access road to my house. So I don't know much about it. I've watched him download photos and he has always taken out the disk and put it in his laptop. But I know little about it.

No one should be on that access road except me, at this point in time.

I am afraid he is going to come while I am gone - two weeks in California with my brother and SIL. I don't want him on my property. If he does come on my property uninvited I'd like to have a record of that.

I have changed all the locks and put up a new gate with a new lock. But these things are hardly keep out a determined intruder.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Maybe it's an older type camera. I just have a quick tip, new trail cameras can send pics and video directly to your phone when someone triggers it. So you know right away if someone enters your driveway. Could be an idea to invest in a new camera. I think the Browning trail cams are very good. And with a new camera you get much better picture quality compared to an older type camera. High definition.

I also have a locked security box that protects my camera and that metal box is secured to trees or poles or whatever with a Python cable lock. It's a special type of metal wire that is much more difficult to cut with tools than regular wire. So it makes it more difficult to remove or steal the camera.

Last edited:

I've watched him download photos and he has always taken out the disk and put it in his laptop.
Ok, then there is no proprietary software to consider.

Just a matter of removing the SDHC card and getting a cheap card reader that interfaces with your computer using a USB port. Insert the SDHC card into the reader's slot and it should show up in your file manager with images stored within the DCIM folder. Just copy each (.jpg) images you want from the SDHC card to your hard drive.

Last edited:
Thank you Forest Cat and Judge. I see I should have asked here before messing around. This has actually been on my mind for a while.

When I get back from California I’ll start the project over again.

New Threads

Top Bottom