• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism vs Depression?

SimplyWandering

I'm always wondering if feeling unattached to things is reflective of Autism or or a symptom of depression... like I really love my boyfriend (who is NT), but I constantly feel flat around him and everyone else, I have periods of intense love though. However, normally things have no interest to me unless they have to do with 1 of my few likes such as coin collecting or discussing Psychology.

I often feel very empty.

My psychiatrist thinks it is as a result of being very depressed or Borderline personality disorder.

What are your thoughts?

Various types of depression can be comorbid to autism spectrum disorders. Though they are still two distinctly different conditions. One might also be on the spectrum and have no forms of depression. Conversely one can be depressed, but not necessarily be on the spectrum of autism at all.

I was formally diagnosed with chronic clinical depression many years ago, along with OCD. But back then high-functioning autism was still something new to the medical community. Something that never even came up at the time having been examined and diagnosed for other conditions.

My depression both ebbs and flows with no particular consistency.

Last edited:
I'm always wondering if feeling unattached to things is reflective of Autism or or a symptom of depression... like I really love my boyfriend (who is NT), but I constantly feel flat around him and everyone else, I have periods of intense love though. However, normally things have no interest to me unless they have to do with 1 of my few likes such as coin collecting or discussing Psychology.

I often feel very empty.

My psychiatrist thinks it is as a result of being very depressed or Borderline personality disorder.

What are your thoughts?
It sounds like mild depression, severe depression has one of the characteristics of loss of appetite.

I don't know. I don't have a dx, but until recently it was assumed that I had BPD. I relate to what you're saying.

I feel the same and think its a combination of both depression and ASD. It's a hard cycle to break, but you can sometimes do it by appreciating what you have rather than wishing for what you don't, also sometimes medication is helpful. I hope you feel better and more interested in things soon!

I think I have had to contend with depression all of my life, but I was unaware of depression, so it just felt normal to me. What gave me memories of fun times, happy times, and general enjoyment were the situations where I felt I was indulging an interest, doing something new, having some kind of change in a routine, and being creative. All of these are situations where I am able to change my focus from dull nothing to some new adventure. When you are depressed it is too easy to convince yourself that nothing matters. That's a sad state of affairs when you live in a country that has everything available. Sometimes it can be easy to rally if you make plans with someone else. That obligation/promise gets you out the door. If you can't grab a friend to do things, consider taking a long walk to a store to get something you like. The long walk (already therapeutic) will change your perspective and shake off the cobwebs. There are all kinds of depression, some being quite justified. It's important not to give in to the pressure to do nothing at all. It isn't easy to jump up and take action when the last thing you want to do is put out effort. In a state of depression, a little bit of effort goes a long way. There is no reward and no prize. You are walking away from the depression to let something new come into your life for an hour or so. It's like opening a window for fresh air.

I believe there are some who attribute depression to learned behaviour.
A habitual response to the feeling of helplessness.

As I understand it to date, ASD isn’t a learned behaviour.

Before considering ASD as a possibility I spent many, many years tumbling and spiralling in and out of depressive phases with seemingly little or no trigger that I understood, at that time.

Burn out or headed toward melt down would create a bit of a ‘flat’ for me.
Like I had nothing left to give.
If I continued to over-do things I would end up not being able to speak to anyone.

Perhaps you’re over-doing things? Need an afternoon by yourself to recharge?
Your bodies way of letting you know you need to make a tiny change, and soon.

The things you mentioned are also possible. You know yourself better than anyone and I’m not a doctor :)

New Threads

Top Bottom