• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Service Dogs

It's not like that yet in the UK unless they're specifically guide dogs which are virtually only for the blind, unfortunately it's still up to the establishment at the moment for autistic people and anyone else who need an animal for other support when it's not directly classed as a guide dog, unless the law changes and I wish it would. I know it's better in the USA.

I don't know much about the USA, as I'm from Canada, but I think it's similar to here.

That really sucks that only guide dogs are exempted, I hope the laws change in the UK, too.

Service animals are usually classified differently than pets -- they would usually be legally exempt from no-pets policies, as a matter of human rights.

Actually, a couple of months back I enquired about volunteering as a Support Dog trainer, they wanted me to have the dog living at the Flat with me, so I contacted the Housing Association to see if I'd be allowed, specifying that it'd be a dog in training and NOT a pet, and they said no because of A) the "No pets" thing and B) I don't have access to the communal garden for when the dog wants to do its er, "Business".

Actually, a couple of months back I enquired about volunteering as a Support Dog trainer, they wanted me to have the dog living at the Flat with me, so I contacted the Housing Association to see if I'd be allowed, specifying that it'd be a dog in training and NOT a pet, and they said no because of A) the "No pets" thing and B) I don't have access to the communal garden for when the dog wants to do its er, "Business".

I suspect it might be different if the service dog was already trained, and was your service dog instead of a dog you would be training....because if it was your service dog then having the dog would be a disability accomodation, but it you're just training the dog and don't need it to help you then it is not a disability accomodation.

I suspect it might be different if the service dog was already trained, and was your service dog instead of a dog you would be training....because if it was your service dog then having the dog would be a disability accomodation, but it you're just training the dog and don't need it to help you then it is not a disability accomodation.

Even if it was a support dog for ME, they'd probably still say no because of the "No Pets" thing and lack of access to the back garden.

Even if it was a support dog for ME, they'd probably still say no because of the "No Pets" thing and lack of access to the back garden.

I'll take your word for it since I don't know your landords.

All I know is that there are laws in the UK for assistance animals to be allowed in housing and in public places where landlords/businesses are normally allowed to ban pets if they want to, but I don't know the specifics (like what kind of support the dog has to provide, what training or licensing the dog needs to be considered an assistance animal under the law).

But I also know that businesses/landlords don't always respect those laws.

New Threads

Top Bottom