• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone interested in looking at and/or collecting old/vintage photos?

Jacki Cucinotta

Anyone here who likes to look at and/or collect vintage-style photography (i.e, daguerreotypes, tintypes, calotypes, etc.)? Do you have any vintage photographs that you would like to share here? If so, please comment or upload a favorite photo you admire.

Yes, I think old photos are cool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
I enjoy most anything old and photos are great because they tell a story. I cannot upload any right now.

I love looking at old photos! I'm a big fan of historical items so I find this kind of thing interesting from the historical perspective. The original daguerreotypes are fascinating, how they were created and everything. I can't believe that someone was able to figure out how to make that work so long ago, really its genius. I was reading about them the other day actually. I remember years ago online finding the early daguerreotypes of presidents and being blown away that we have pictures of presidents from as long ago as we do. I'm thankful we do. The earliest president we have is John Quincy Adams. Anytime I look at the pictures of early presidents I seem to study it closely because I am just so fascinated. Fun stuff!

Same here Mellotron! The very first daguerreotype I ever saw was the John Quincy Adams one in the chair. Second was Abraham Lincoln, followed by several pics of Andrew Jackson on Wikipedia. The Jackson pics I saw for the first time only about three years ago and being so fascinated because it they are the closest 3D representations of one of our first presidents - that's quite a big deal when most representations of our early presidents are in paintings!

Same here Mellotron! The very first daguerreotype I ever saw was the John Quincy Adams one in the chair. Second was Abraham Lincoln, followed by several pics of Andrew Jackson on Wikipedia. The Jackson pics I saw for the first time only about three years ago and being so fascinated because it they are the closest 3D representations of one of our first presidents - that's quite a big deal when most representations of our early presidents are in paintings!

Yea! The Quincy Adams one in the chair is exactly the one!

I remember seeing an Andrew Jackson picture a few years back and was stunned that we have that representation him. This one of Jackson I find really interesting, its a neat point of view of him and you can see him sitting in a chair needing back support from a pillow. Pretty neat and he still had quite a lot of hair at such an older age haha! Maybe not the best shot but still really interesting.
357px-Andrew_Jackson-1844-2.jpg

I think I saw the daguerreotype of Lincoln you are talking about, he was younger I think right, like mid 1840s?

I really wish we had pictures of everyone back to Washington. I sometimes try to picture them in real life as pictures from the paintings we have.

Yes, that's the pic I was referring to. It was when he was still a Senator. And this pic of Jackson is the pic I was referring to as well! I also saw one of Dolley Madison taken a few years before she died.

Oh yea, I saw that only recently, the Dolley Madison one! That one is amazing, I didn't know that there was a photo of her. I thought it was really neat because she is always depicted in paintings as having curly dark hair and then it showed up in the picture of her. It made me more confident in the earlier paintings haha.

I didn't either until I saw it. And yes, the paintings of her were taken when she was in her 30s and 40s. The photo was when she was in her early- to mid-70s.

Here is a black and white portrait from 1938. It is is my grandparents, my mother and aunt. It is a period much later than the antique photos we are discussing in the thread but is still very different from what we see nowadays. It also shows how much quicker people aged a century ago. My grandmother is 38 and my grandfather is 43 in the photo. I think they look much older. There were no antibiotics then and medical care was pretty primitive. In general life was a greater struggle back then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 129
I recently found a website with old photos from the 1970s (the time of my early to mid-childhood) of the area where I was brought up. It brought back so many memories especially things like seeing the shop my gran worked in and the old buses which are now long gone. I also saw a photo of my old primary school and in many ways its just how I remembered it. Sadly it was demolished in 1991 and no trace of it exists now. My dad collects old photos from even further back and its amazing how different the world was back then.

That's really cool Pluto! Too bad they demolished the school :unhappy: It sucks when that happens because it's like getting rid of a piece of history. Thank goodness for photography to bring back the wonderful memories though!

Sometimes I'll spend hours late into the night, looking at old maps and photographs of the areas that they pertain to. I found a website for my local area, that has been the source of much fascination for me. (www.nkyviews.com) I suggest that you search for such websites, and local historical societies.

Yes! My particular interests are photos of my ancestors, and anyone related to them; another interest is photos of obscure corners of the UK and its Islands and their people. I find the story of St Kilda particularly fascinating.

Check out (http://www.abandonedamerica.us/) . I love his work, and the writing that he does for some of the pictures is often quite stirring and profound. Although his work is not particularly old, the subjects off his work usually are. There are also a number of groups and photographers on facebook, that share old photos of various locations and abandoned properties.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom