• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A bit about me

IsolaStrano

I have been struggling my whole life with, well, the world of other people. I have not really figured out why, not until quite recently. Asperger's has been on my radar for a long time, but I have to admit I had a pretty narrow and stereotypical understanding of it, until something triggered me to find out more. Actually, it might have been meeting my first adult with AS diagnosis and noticing I felt strange kinship with him. Also, I have been around a couple of people who present much more "textbook aspie" than I do, so I have a feeling the comparison might have made me oblivious. Also, where I'm from, neurodiversity, especially in adults, is very much overlooked to this day.

I'm a woman, almost 40, married to another woman and living an expat life in the US.

My wife, who works with young adults, always did say that I appear to be a bit on the spectrum in her opinion. I have never lived full time with any partner before, and she does see more of the behaviors I've been trying to hide most of my life than anyone else has, apart from my parents. The most pervasive thing about is my rigidity. I am very preoccupied with the preciseness, logic and fairness of things. I get angry about things not being logical. I feel compelled to always present an opposing view, even if I agree. To be fair. I get upset over things people have a hard time understanding. And I'm easily overwhelmed by too much going on. People, music, lights, temperature, clothes etc. And when it really gets too overwhelming, I shut down. I may be repeating a few words, typically something like "I can't" and make nonsensical movements. I could go on all day, and I'm not at all sure which things are relevant. I have diagnosed ADHD, also quite recent.

Maybe that's enough for now.

Hello and welcome :) I always felt a kinship with other people with autism and I remember feeling like I belong more with these kind of people than normal people. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people I hung around with were on the spectrum one way or another Lol

Stick around and ask us anything. You'll see that a lot of people here share a lot of your quirks and behavior. You'll also see that a lot of people here are helpful with any problems you may have as well as informative.

Welcome aboard :)
IMG_8483.JPG

New Threads

Top Bottom