• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Northern lights anybody?

TBRS1

Transparent turnip
I live on the 45th parallel so I was hoping to get a good view of the Northern Lights.

Unfortunately, it was cloudy yesterday, and cloudier today, so no go.

Anybody get a good view?

I live near the 45th parallel.
Rained all night last night.

Some people here in South UK said they saw them. But I didn't, despite being awake at the right time. You can see the Milky way literally above my road though. On clear nights. I live on the Milky way! Sort of.

I haven't seen the Milky Way since 1981 after moving to Florida.
Too many city lights around. I could see it in Missouri.

The weather report said we are too far south to see the Northern Lights. Even with this huge solar storm.

On Friday 10/5/2024 North America got blasted by the biggest solar flare to hit earth since 2003. The aurora borealis ("Northern Lights" could be seen as far south as San Francisco, and was visible in the urban agglomeration of Silicon Valley/Bay Area despite heavy light pollution. These are the photos I took of it here in far Northern California (Jefferson) just south of the 42 parallel latitude.

20240510_230945.jpg

20240510_230959.jpg

20240510_231016.jpg

I was supposed to be able to see them in certain places in my county, but of course it was cloudy.

Anyway, here is what they look like from the space station:

astronauta-aurora-boreal-interna.jpg

Northern-Lights-from-ISS.jpg

I am in south Florida and thought I was out of it. Turns out someone took pictures in a nearby town. Darn it.

But, they claim Sunday night could be an even better display than Saturday, (but not Friday, which was the best.)

So I'll be out Sunday night/Monday morning to see if I can see any. I do live in a dark skies area, so have a good chance of seeing them if they are there.

I am in south Florida and thought I was out of it. Turns out someone took pictures in a nearby town. Darn it.

But, they claim Sunday night could be an even better display than Saturday, (but not Friday, which was the best.)

So I'll be out Sunday night/Monday morning to see if I can see any. I do live in a dark skies area, so have a good chance of seeing them if they are there.
Oh, that's fantastic - it's bright and sunny today (Sunday) here, so it should be a clear night. I get another chance!

I live on the 45th parallel so I was hoping to get a good view of the Northern Lights.

Unfortunately, it was cloudy yesterday, and cloudier today, so no go.

Anybody get a good view?
Sadly I slept through the whole thing, but there are some great pics on facebook. Very bright, even as far south as Brighton W Sussex (UK)

New Threads

Top Bottom