• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Data mining... Some thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I just had an argument/perhaps heated conversation about the concept of data mining with my sister...

I dislike how the world of saving money has become an aspect of how companies collect our data, so have decided not to use such incentive programs through stores...

The grocery store where I do much of my shopping is a major one and does something similar of course... My sister (and most other people) think that the money they give you back in incentives is worth the data mining, I'm not so certain...

I never wanted this one when they introduced because of such reasons

In her defence, she is aware of the idea but feels it's worth it to get savings, but avoids all other apps like that

Am I far too (almost) militant in how I feel about this? And why I don't want that card, and any other ones too

Yes, I'm aware that my Facebook and Instagram do data mining, but I really limit what specific details I provide, on Facebook I never follow large corporations, only small local businesses

Am I just too crazy? I would just like some thoughts on that topic, what others think

Last edited:
Interesting. I have only heard of data mining as in looking through video game code because sometimes devs leave stuff in there that will be released in the future.

I just had an argument/perhaps heated conversation about the concept of data mining with my sister...

I dislike how the world of saving money has become an aspect of how companies collect our data, so have decided not to use such incentive programs through stores...

The grocery store where I do much of my shopping is a major one and does something similar of course... My sister (and most other people) think that the money they give you back in incentives is worth the data mining, I'm not so certain...

In her defence, she is aware of the idea but feels it's worth it to get savings, but avoids all other apps like that

Am I far too (almost) militant in how I feel about this? And why I don't want that card, and any other ones too

Yes, I'm aware that my Facebook and Instagram do data mining, but I really limit what specific details I provide, on Facebook I never follow large corporations, only small local businesses

Am I just too crazy? I would just like some thoughts on that topic, what others think
I mean, it's just a case of opinion I guess. Because yes, if you use loyalty points, etc. details of your spending habits are used internally to offer you promotions, whilst also being sold on in an anonymised form (which can often be fairly easy to de-anonymise). But yeah, you get promos. Depends how much you value that privacy, and that's a personal thing.

Some notes though. If you use a credit card, depending where you are there's a chance they track your spending anyway. But, on the other side, the promos aren't altruistic, they are designed to a) stop you being tempted away to competing stores and therefore reduce the need to be price competitive and b) get you to spend more than you usually would (either by buying things/quantities you don't need or buying things when you go to the store to buy the offer). They aren't a reward or quid pro quo for giving access to your data.

I have always been the same. I've never had a Fly Buys card or anything like that. My thinking on that hasn't changed since they first came in, in the late 80s?.

"Let us sell your name, address and phone number along with a very comprehensive list of all your shopping habits to unnamed marketing companies and we'll give you a 0.04% discount on your shopping."

It just never added up to me. The little they offer for what they get in return is a joke and I don't like feeling like I'm being taken for a ride or ripped off. If you really want to save money stop playing the game by their rules.

The radical price swings between overinflated prices and discounts in supermarkets is a system that works best on people who do little bits of shopping here and there every few days. These people buy when they need something now and they have no choice but to pay whatever the price of the day is. Stock up a bit on non-perishables and from then on you can afford to wait until they're on special again, you never have to pay the overinflated "regular" price.

Last edited:
I mean, it's just a case of opinion I guess. Because yes, if you use loyalty points, etc. details of your spending habits are used internally to offer you promotions, whilst also being sold on in an anonymised form (which can often be fairly easy to de-anonymise). But yeah, you get promos. Depends how much you value that privacy, and that's a personal thing.

Some notes though. If you use a credit card, depending where you are there's a chance they track your spending anyway. But, on the other side, the promos aren't altruistic, they are designed to a) stop you being tempted away to competing stores and therefore reduce the need to be price competitive and b) get you to spend more than you usually would (either by buying things/quantities you don't need or buying things when you go to the store to buy the offer). They aren't a reward or quid pro quo for giving access to your data.

On the credit cards I agree... I also rarely use my credit card, but do have one... Most of my spending is cash, perhaps the last person in the world to do that :p

I think you are right. This information gathering is out of control.
Information is worth a lot of money. Stores don't want us to sign up because they are so kind and really, really wants us to pay 4% less. That doesn't happen. And it's just getting worse and worse. All our info is harvested every day. And we don't know how that info will be used in the future. I like to pay with cash these days. But soon that probably won't be possible.

Last edited:

Data mining is often presented as incentives and to provide a better customer experience. "Here's another product you may like." "Others who bought this also bought that." Pop up adds based upon your previous searches. Coupons. "Take another 10% off if you sign up for this credit card." So on and so forth.

It is also used by companies to assess what types of people are more likely to purchase a particular product and at what price. Part of the reason for such a huge rise in company profit margins and inflation on certain items is because the data mining would suggest that a majority of their target population (whatever that is) are still willing to pay the increased prices. It's strategic to maximize profits. If some people are priced out, then so be it, because the right amount of people are still willing to pay despite how it impacts their budget.

It could also be used for TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and any other site that wants to find similar media for you to "customize the user experience".

There are all sorts of methods and incentives to have people sign and accept "the terms of use" in pages of fine print.

Last edited:
Consumerism strokes the data mining fires and the regulatory agencies have come in at the back door of all of this. Some of those out there do pay cash, or stay anonymous by using Bitcoin. Some in America talk of going off the grid. The criminal elements know to have nothing in their names, including their house ownership, their car, even their phone will be in someone else's name, and social security number. I guess it's best to decide where you fall in the scheme of things. And the push to take everything to a digital snapshots of our financial and medical records kind of gives you an idea that data mining is becoming a way of control of the most important resource, simply your information. Being faced with this future, l always do financial things in the most laborious way possible to leave some type of digital footprint, should my info just suddenly up and disappear. And l am not at all comfortable doing all my banking online.

Last edited:
@Sherlock77

Terminology FYI:
The term "Data Mining" is generally used for for analyzing existing data (including intermediate stages like correlating all data for e.g. one person first).

Your post seems more about avoiding getting into the big Data Stores / Data Bases in the first place.
I'm call the relevant process "Data Collection", but the terminology varies a bit.

BTW your general concern is justified. A lot of information is collected. It's possible to reduce it a bit, inconvenient to reduce it a lot, and probably impossible for you to stop it completely.

Ironically, only criminals have a reasonable chance of avoiding most data collection if they want to /lol.

If you seriously want to limit data collection, look at every connected device you have, and every point of connection (for example this site), and try to minimize "data leakage".

Candidates include all Smartphone apps, location tracking, digital map usage, quite possibly your more modern cameras, those door-camera things, any voice-enabled devices, search engines,, ISPs, etc.

Don't assume that information in one systems can't be linked with information from a different one. Don't assume information shared with one company isn't sold on.

There probably is data mining happening here in this very thread. It's just who? I just hope Seattle's Best coffee is data mining me this very moment.

Exactly. None of these companies are ever once taking a loss for giving you discounted goods of theirs. They are actually making even more off of selling your personal data compared to any hit they take on discounts / coupons or such. To be clear: They are basically making thousands of dollars off of your data, while they in return give you a couple hundred in discounts.

We're all better off selling our data to whatever companies in person. Cut out the middle man. I want the thousands in cash instead.

There probably is data mining happening here in this very thread. It's just who? I just hope Seattle's Best coffee is data mining me this very moment.
Not "probably". - Definitely. Any area of the forum that isn't protected is parsed by the major search engines to start with.

I have Alexa in my home so my data is being mined. I'm so boring I don't really care. In terms of having to join or buy a membership for a deal: Bite me. I expect the best deal up front just for walking in the door. If you won't give it to me there are others stores that will.

Same for me. It bugs me. I used to work for a company doing some version of data mining, which can mean different things but in general in that context is about using consumer information to improve a business and/or make more money.

I usually give fake phone numbers, fake emails, and fake names to get the discount card. Now they got smarter and some stores want "digital coupons" that are tied to my phone, and that's when I prefer to pay more rather than them having access to who-knows-what in my cell phone.

Unfortunately, not much we can do. I'm sure somebody has collected all my fake names and emails. I try to change the names regularly just to be a pain and have some fun.

Sherlock's reasoning makes perfect sense to me. I decline most club and discount offers. The only ones I have are for 'emergency' purchases. Even then, the personal info on those accounts may not be 100% accurate . . .

🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom