• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can arts programs "break the ice" in meeting new people?

Most of the Hams I've met in the last 20 or so years have purchased their rigs, but will brag about having soldered a new PL-239 connector on the end of their RG-58 coax.

I have an old Yeasu YT-726 rig that I have maintained since the mid-1990s, and all of my antennae are scratch-built. My favorite is a 2-meter J-Pole made out of copper plumbing. I designed and built my own speech compressor, too.

Back On Topic

Ham Radio is a great way to get acquainted with people before you meet them -- better than the Internet. You get to know them by their voices alone, and can eventually figure out if they are the kind of people with whom you would like to hang out. Hamfests, field days, and swapmeets are also great social experiences. If you don't want to talk to anyone around you, just put on a set of headphones and sit off to one side. Works for me!
I will say I have to bite the bullet with Hamfests. I mentally "raise shields" and wade through the crowds focusing on the equipment. I usually have a goal of finding a specific piece of equipment in acceptable condition. Driving back home, I can start recharging.

I will say I have to bite the bullet with Hamfests. I mentally "raise shields" and wade through the crowds focusing on the equipment. I usually have a goal of finding a specific piece of equipment in acceptable condition. Driving back home, I can start recharging.
This describes my experiences (for the most part), although I have met a few of "our kind" at such events too.

My best friend was a VEC, and he and I used to buy dozens of kits at one hamfest, assemble and test them at home, and then re-sell them at other hamfests, buy new kits, and repeat the cycle. Made enough to buy a couple of HF auto-tuners (mine was lost by a shipper when I moved).

Last edited:
About ten years ago, I told a neighbor that I would climb his ham radio tower outside his home and fix the rotation (a bolt had sheared off). I have done various kinds of heights related work before, but that was the most wobbly of structures I had worked on. It was only about 30 feet high, but I could feel the sway and such more than any other instance with heights. Much respect to all of you who have to maintain your towers.

About ten years ago, I told a neighbor that I would climb his ham radio tower outside his home and fix the rotation (a bolt had sheared off). I have done various kinds of heights related work before, but that was the most wobbly of structures I had worked on. It was only about 30 feet high, but I could feel the sway and such more than any other instance with heights. Much respect to all of you who have to maintain your towers.
They're not supposed to be loose and wobbly like that, but you may have guest as much. Fortunately, the towers I have climbed have been tight like they should be. The last one I helped take down (the owner had passed away and his family wanted it gone) was extremely sturdy, but he had not used stainless steel bolts and it took 2 days and penetrating oil to remove them due to rust.

When I was living in the bush a bloke showed me his collapsible mast that he'd built himself, pretty clever really. This was in the tropics and he had to be able to drop it during electrical storms.

A very deep concrete footing with a flat steel plate on top, to which he welded a sturdy custom brace and hinge. The mast is a single 14 metre length of 3 inch box section steel, that was the longest single section he could buy. 2 steel cables for stability on each of 3 sides, connecting at 10 metres high and 14 metres high, they're also anchored in concrete footings. On the 4th side there's only one cable connectected at 10 metres high and it goes to a small jib set up and an electric boat winch.

Any time you have a group focused on a specific topic that is your interest, it is easier to socialize. You get to talk about the topic without being dismissed as weird because of your interest. I had social success in a science fiction club, in a wargaming group, in Mensa, and in nudist circles.

You still need to do things like modulate your voice, avoid info dumping, allow the other person equal time in a discussion, and not get wrapped into an argument about who is right and wrong. It is okay for people to be factually and logically wrong. It is not okay to aggressively correct them. Just let it be.
Please re-focus on the first few posts of this discussion-thread. The focus is on developing friendships through arts activities. This discussion-thread included important perspectives on social skills, social dynamics, etc.

I recently started in an arts group. I've only been once but it was fun. We all either brought our own projects or else people painted or made christmas decorations. It was run by Peer Workers, which happened to be a couple of ADHDer ladies. I enjoyed it. I did talk a lot and the young lady next to me opened up to me a bit and seemed to like me. She said "Sorry I'm not good at eye contact" I said "Don't worry, I'm autistic". She, I think, was a not-self aware Autie herself, she said her twin brother was autistic but she had anorexia and OCD.

Anyway, I think I'll go back. I would have gone back last monday but I was too tired that day. I felt pretty socially ok, which is highly unusual for me.

At one point I felt too overstimulated and I was allowed to go into a quiet dark room and that helped.
Doing art in a group takes the pressure off, I think, because you don't have to talk you can just art or craft.

Any time you have a group focused on a specific topic that is your interest, it is easier to socialize. You get to talk about the topic without being dismissed as weird because of your interest. I had social success in a science fiction club, in a wargaming group, in Mensa, and in nudist circles.

You still need to do things like modulate your voice, avoid info dumping, allow the other person equal time in a discussion, and not get wrapped into an argument about who is right and wrong. It is okay for people to be factually and logically wrong. It is not okay to aggressively correct them. Just let it be.
Thumbs-up icon applied - this response is good advice.

This disussion-thread is mentioned in the disc. thread, 'Advice on Social Skills, Friendships, etc.' in the 'Friends, Family, and Social Skills Forum.'

New Threads

Top Bottom