• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic songs?

Do you know any songs that you feel are about autism and/or autistic people and/or describe things that you as an autistic person can particularly relate to?

Personally, I think "A Most Peculiar Man" by Simon & Garfunkel could be interpreted that way.

'Everyone is trying to get to the bar
The name of the bar, the bar is called Heaven
The band in Heaven, they play my favorite song
Play it one more time, play it all night long

Oh, Heaven
Heaven is the place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

Heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

There is a party, everyone is there
Everyone will leave at exactly the same time
When this party's over, it will start again
Will not be any different, will be exactly the same

Oh, Heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

When this kiss is over, it will start again
Will not be any different, will be exactly the same
It's hard to imagine that nothing at all
Could be so exciting, could be this much fun

Oh, Heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

Heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

Paul Simon has done a few I think.

I am a rock, I am an Island.

Hearts and Bones.

The Boxer

The one about watching the rain... there but for the grace of you, go I...

Maybe I think too much.

There are many autistic musicians, songwriters and singers. A few of them are Susan Boyle, Travis Meeks, Marty Balin, James Durbin, The AutistiX rock band, and Judy Singer.

Interesting thread.

Justin Pierre has not come out and said so (not to my knowledge), but I feel every line of his lyrics and see how much it just points to autism over and over. His solo work, or his whole discography with MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK can be found and listened to.

The song that Kip Dynamite sings to his darling LaFawnda is the ultimate aspie love song. This is non-debatable. It speaks not just of Eros: the passion of lovers, but it also speaks of the adoration of the special interest. How another person was able to rise in one's esteem above the special interest.

"Sure, the world wide web is great
But you, you make me salivate
Always and forever.

Yes, I love technology
But not as much as you, you see
But still, I love technology
Always and forever"

Paul Simon has done a few I think.

I am a rock, I am an Island.

Hearts and Bones.

The Boxer

The one about watching the rain... there but for the grace of you, go I...

Maybe I think too much.
I am a Rock was pretty much my theme song throughout high school and college.

It's monotonous, it's fascinating, and I can't stop listening to it. Also, go look at what The Wrens look like. I rest my case. There's something fascinating about staring at the same repetitive thing several different ways, and that's what you're doing when you play the same thing endlessly while changing the accompaniment.

Many Paul Simon songs have an autistic theme if you listen to the lyrics.
I've seen him in concert. He is a good performer.
I am a Rock, I am an Island, has always been my favorite and definite autistic/Asperger's theme.

Here I go Again- Whitesnake (Drifter) is another that reminds me of my lifestyle.
I made an album of baby and toddler pictures of myself with those lyrics under the photos.

...Here I go again on my own,
going down the only road I've ever known,
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone...
'Cause I know what it means,
to walk along a lonely street of dreams...

Many Paul Simon songs have an autistic theme if you listen to the lyrics.
I've seen him in concert. He is a good performer.
I am a Rock, I am an Island, has always been my favorite and definite autistic/Asperger's theme.

Here I go Again- Whitesnake (Drifter) is another that reminds me of my lifestyle.
I made an album of baby and toddler pictures of myself with those lyrics under the photos.

...Here I go again on my own,
going down the only road I've ever known,
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone...
'Cause I know what it means,
to walk along a lonely street of dreams...

Contemplative. Introspective. Why not?

I could see John Denver as a sociable autie. And I guess ultimately the life of a successful singer songwriter is fairly independent and may suit auties. I think Elton John fits the bill, but possibly having Bernie Taupin writing the lyrics may obscure Eltons autieness.

I could see John Denver as a sociable autie. And I guess ultimately the life of a successful singer songwriter is fairly independent and may suit auties. I think Elton John fits the bill, but possibly having Bernie Taupin writing the lyrics may obscure Eltons autieness.
I bet there's some parallel universe where Denver doesn't know he's dead and he's looking for JFK Jr's killer.

There are a few songs that come to mind.

Once In A Lifetime—Talking Heads
The lyrics don’t necessarily pertain to being autistic, but they remind me of verbal stimming. David Byrne is a self-diagnosed aspie. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Deer In the Headlights—Owl City
I think most autistic guys who have tried to find a girlfriend will relate.

In Space, No One Can Hear You Cry—Color Theory

Data Loss—Adam Tell

Hyperactive!—Thomas Dolby
This one feels more ADHD than autism to me, but it does discuss the idea of being forced into societal norms. It uses lots of stereotypical mental illness imagery, so it might be offensive to associate it with ADHD and autism. I still find it relatable.

And of course, who could forget the Thomas the Tank Engine theme song? Just kidding.

I don't know if any of the band members are on the spectrum but this song really describes my autism experience. It uses religious language in a few spots so hope that doesn't offend, it's done in a pretty unconventional way and metaphor. I can't really listen to this song without getting choked up I hope everyone likes it!

New Threads

Top Bottom