• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

And the psych ward says ( a trigger and sensitivity warning)

Why is she naked?
There aren't any naked people in that video.

Unless it counts that under her clothing,
like everybody who wears clothing, she's naked.

Her clothing may be more revealing than what you're used to
or prefer, but she is wearing clothing. She is not naked in the video.

I was always terrified to be put in a public mental ward. I ended up going private, it was much nicer as it was a trauma and dissociation 3 week program where I learnt valuable things, did art and music therapy, gym, and "trauma sensitive" yoga. I don't think many public mental hospitals are "trauma informed". They terrify me, but when I tried to get admitted to one (I had been in an abusive relationship with a much older man for decades) they wouldn't take me anyway.

She has the routine down pat.
She didn't mention how they "pat" you down and check your possible hiding places for contraband during admittance.
And how you can't keep anything personal, not even a bar of soap or toothpaste in your room, (have to ask for it).

You have insurance companies to thank, I was told. Any psych ward must be a lock down unit.
It wasn't always this way. There used to be open psych units where you could go outside and no fences either. The public hospital here had one called IONS that was like living in a high -class hotel. Real china, TV in room, use of showers at anytime,
gym, meditation and art classes. It was beautiful. Open to anxiety and depression patients if doctor said you were not a flight risk or aggressive. Staff was nice.

Then it all disappeared. New rule was if it's psych related, it's locked.

She didn't mention how they "pat" you down and check your possible hiding places for contraband during admittance.
And how you can't keep anything personal, not even a bar of soap or toothpaste in your room, (have to ask for it).

You have insurance companies to thank, I was told. Any psych ward must be a lock down unit.
It wasn't always this way. There used to be open psych units where you could go outside and no fences either. The public hospital here had one called IONS that was like living in a high -class hotel. Real china, TV in room, use of showers at anytime,
gym, meditation and art classes. It was beautiful. Open to anxiety and depression patients if doctor said you were not a flight risk or aggressive. Staff was nice.

For many years I lived close to a state hospital (originally called the insane asylum) that had been closed down and abandoned. It became a beautiful wild place and lovely for walking with my dog. I did some research on the place and although it became a nightmarish hell for patients, it started out quite differently.

It was set up as an entire campus called a "cottage plan." There were small brick buildings for residences set among beautiful rolling hills and surrounded by farms. Patients worked on the farms and supplied food for the entire hospital. There were other jobs, too, including generating the supply of power and water to the hospital as well as a small arts and crafts business. The whole place was set up to establish a sense of community and mutual support among those who were dealing with difficult mental illness and trauma.

The whole system started to break down in the 1950's-60's when much of the funding was cut, the hospital became overcrowded and the new focus was pharmaceutical treatment. Everything changed then and it became a very dark place indeed. It was ultimately closed in the 1990s and left to nature to reclaim the land and bury the tragic history and sad stories in a new layer of earth and trees and flowers. I always felt very emotional going there - connected to the hope, to the despair, and to the spirit of the patients that once lived there.

Where I live, there are both open and closed psychiatric wards. Open ones are open, people can keep their stuff and go outside etc.
In closed ones, yes, patients are checked beforehand and can't keep anything potentially dangerous. I understand that that's not pleasant, but it's for the safety of all the patients and the people who work there. People can get very creative about potential weapons to harm themselves and others. At least where I saw it, the nurses were very gentle and nice about it, though, especially with obviously scared patients. It's not like you'd imagine it in prison - at least it shouldn't be.
I get that it's annoying, but I have seen people ingesting the strangest things to self-harm, taking also things belonging to other patients.

But, yeah, closed psych wards definitely have room for improvement, at least where I live, and I guess anywhere else too. I often see online that they're generally bashed, which I don't find very useful. We need closed psych wards, and I have seen them really help people. But the way they're often managed isn't the best way, at least that's my view. I wouldn't know the perfect way, either, though. The people who work there generally mean well, but it's difficult to handle such a place - especially since all the patients are thrown together, and you usually have a few ones who keep the entire team on their feet.
In social media etc., this usually becomes a very heated topic, with people (often with personal experiences) hating and bashing it, and others (often with professional experiences) become very defensive. That sort of communication usually doesn't do much good. People would need to really discuss and communicate about it to be able to improve things. They're not hellish places (at least not where I live), but they're not great either, and both parties would need to accept that and work with what we have.

Where I live, there are both open and closed psychiatric wards.
I think it should be that way.
Just as in nursing homes there are locked sections for people with dementia.
They call it memory care.
Then there are the regular medical sections for those without the need for memory care.

My mom was in the locked memory care unit before she died because she had severe dementia. The staff was very good, and the patients were satisfied. They always had simple activities for them to participate in.

I've seen both sides of the locked and unlocked psych wards.
The nice, unlocked area that was a part of a large municipal public hospital,
and it helped many people. Patients, of course were screened.
It was more like a spa type setting. Perfect for depression, anxiety and trauma recovery.
I was there for a stay due to panic attacks and agoraphobia. They worked to get me back outside and going on outings.

Several years later it was taken away and only locked units were allowed.
I tried it for a depressive episode and the difference in the way staff treated patients was amazing.
Instead of trying to help, most had a bad attitude and made fun of the patients.
It wasn't what I needed, so soon left. Only once did I see aggression from one patient. He was in a manic phase.
They seemed to always forget the mouthpiece for patients who received ECT.
Yeah, I could tell you some inhumane things I saw in there.
And it was just a section of a large medical hospital.

If it was truly a rule imposed by insurance companies, it is a shame.
As with any therapy and treatment it's not a one size fits all.

The whole system started to break down in the 1950's-60's when much of the funding was cut, the hospital became overcrowded and the new focus was pharmaceutical treatment.
[sarcasm]

Sure! Why bother with recovery and rehabilitation when it's cheaper and more entertaining to watch them perform the Thorazine Shuffle?

[/sarcasm]

:mad:

New Threads

Top Bottom