• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Question for All You Bible Scholars Out There About Marriage

Spinning Compass

V.I.P Member
As I write this the US Supreme Court is debating the legality of same-sex marriages. And of course a lot of people are for it and others are against it. I've heard a lot of Bible verses thrown around regarding the subject. But here's my question.

What, according to the Bible, constitutes a marriage? If I recall correctly the Bible has a lot to say about marriage, but it does not define what marriage is. What is that step that a couple must take to be considered married, according to Scripture? Is it exchanging vows? Is it signing a piece of paper? Is it the ceremony? Would it count if a couple just declared themselves married and set up housekeeping together--or does something more have to be done? And if it doesn't--then who decides?

I'm curious. What is the difference--Scripturally, not legally (legally there is a great deal of difference)--between a couple that has gone through a ceremony and one that has not? Where is it stated that in order for one to be considered married one must do X, Y and Z? What are the requirements?

This is an interesting question. The bible says "Adam knew his wife Eve..." There was no one else around, so obviously no courts, in that case. The bible does consider there to be a true and special bond, but I think it really does not specify what procedure has to take place in order to create that bond.

New Threads

Top Bottom