• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would or might you feel anxious nervous in this situation?

SingaSong

V.I.P Member
I'm feeling nervous and have got into bed because I feel safe. Also when up was rocking and wanted to run away. I wanted to see if anyone else might feel like this, it would reassure me I'm not just stupid or an idiot.

I woke up and there was a drip through the ceiling of the bathroom. I live in a block and I pretty quickly managed to go to my neighbours above. I've never met them and it wad awful for me, no visible leak. I phone the property manager who said neighbours should get plumber so I told them that. She has contacted landlord.
Now waiting to see what happens. Property management will only come out if problem is not with neighbours. It is only s drip. I've turned off water and I will get up is plumbers want to get in. Not sure I'll have the ability to phone property management again. I'm dreading it as I don't deal well with asking for things?

Would or might something like that upset you?

I get nervous over the least little thing and yes, just wish to crawl into my bed and feel safe, but sadly, or perhaps not, doesn't work any more! Instead I pray to my Creator and beg Him to calm my heart down and He does.

No, you are not stupid or an idiot; you have aspergers, which causes us to react this way! I know it feels embarrassing, but that is called: indoctrination of how a person should act in any given situation.

Bravo for acting fast with the leak.

Just recently my husband phones and says: hey I got two little girls in the back of the van ( spiritual brother and sister visiting from Australia and my husband volunteered to take the two girls). I went into panic mode, for I do not feel comfortable with children. I guess one would not think I wanted to run like mad, because I welcomed them ( don't hate children, just feel strange). I offered them a drink which they declined and tried in vain to keep of the chitchat and could feel myself floundering when my husband appeared.

Yes, Singasong, that would bother me - I would find it hard to move on with something else until it was resolved, so I can understand why you would want to zone out.
You have already taken action towards getting it fixed and you have accomplished far more difficult things than this.
You are not asking for a favour, if you have to phone the company again. The leak needs fixed to prevent further damage.
When I have a difficult call to make, I write down what I need to say
It always ends " be calm, be polite but do not be fobbed off".

Yes, approaching and talking to strangers, as well as using the phone make me nervous and I have to psych myself up to it. If a repairman comes into the house, my partner deals with them and I go up to my bedroom and wait till they go. I hate being left alone with them - I don't know what to do, am I supposed to offer them something? Am I supposed to talk to them? If I'm not expected to make small talk it's a bit better, but generally I hate strangers coming to the house.

Thanks for replying. It's only dripping now. I talked to my dad just now and he's told me I've done everything. I'm sad that I need that reassurance.

It's not sad that you need reassurance! Think of yourself as a small child, trembling and needing this reassurance. You would reassure a child, wouldn't you? So it's OK to be accepting of that scared little child inside you. I remember when I put an ad in Craig's list to sell a small piece of furniture and when a couple actually said they wanted to come and see it, I hid in the back of the house and let my husband deal with them. I just couldn't bear to have strangers in the house, having to be polite. They bought the furniture and left and I was so glad it was over! I just took care of my needs and you can do it for yourself, too!:sunglasses:

I don't have good associations to trying to communicate with people, so for the most part I don't try.

Yeeaaaahhhhh, I'd be a champion procrastinator in that situation. Or trying to find the landlord's email address so I didn't have to actually TALK to him.

Dealing with things like that is actually an art. There are only a few people in my life that really have no trouble dealing with people that manage things. I'm terrible at standing up for myself. Is there anyone you can solicit for their assistance?

Luckily the drip seems to have stopped. I think I've done everything I can at the moment. I've emailed them on an online form as well so they have it in writing and I have a copy. If I didn't I'd find it hard remembering the phone calls.
My real problems happen when the issue is personal. I volunteer as in an advice bureau and can phone on behalf of the clients, but if it's about my own house/electricity supply or other issue I can't cope well at all. I think I almost put on a mask when I'm volunteering.

Masks do sound like the way to go.

The only snag is that the mask doesn't work when I'm dealing with my own issues, I worry so much about making mistakes whereas the place I volunteer there is a supervisor so I don't feel the same pressure.

New Threads

Top Bottom