• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would like travel, worried about being targeted

Aura Todd

I've finally got the confidence to explore new places with my camera, or so I thought..

I love photography and have some places in the UK I'd like to visit, but when I bring up the subject my mum say's things like 'lone female' or be careful who you jabber to. My aunt doesn't help by saying I'm too friendly so this knocks me down again.

I have been to some places on my own like Waymouth, Bournemouth etc but now I'd like to do Winchester or maybe Cardiff (having never been to Wales before) I know travelling is more harder for women because some men can't help themselves but this is really getting me down.

By the way my Deezer music has just started to play Psycho so that's made me feel better. NOT

dont go alone its boring if you drive its slightly different ,youre stuck in economy seats train or bus ,trains can be really annoying
youre imagination is telling you something different from what you really experience .
walking in the countryside is the best
cant walk very far now

I can understand what they're worried about on one hand, but on the other, my penpal from the US came to visit a couple of years ago and she was on her own. She stayed with us for 3 days, and then went to London and Scotland on her own and had no problems at all. Ok, she's NT so some could say she would have less issues by virtue of that, but she was in a country she'd never been to before and had no issues from anyone.

maybe Cardiff (having never been to Wales before)

I can thoroughly recommend Cardiff, and this is in no way biased by the fact that I live there :tearsofjoy:

I do many camping trips alone and met many women that does these types of trips alone. I also seen women hiking alone on the same trails I use. I never heard an event them having issues the places they went to.

There can be risk anyways regardless male or female.

Majority of the time, if you avoid the areas of travel that have higher odds of conflict, then you decrease the odds of of conflict.

Even for myself being male and the type of trips I do, there many things could go wrong. Since I'm alone enjoy hiking, I could get attack by animal. During a 20 KM hike, I could get myself into an injury and need to figure out how to get help. For these trips, I ensure I have enough food, water, first aid kit, fully charged phone, and other devices.

So at the end, if you plan your trips right, things will be fine.

My mother had traveled extensively through the UK and Ireland in her 60s back in the 1980s. Sometimes with friends, sometimes by herself. She once got lost in London and any number of kind strangers were happy to help her. Though in visiting in Belfast she took certain precautions of where she went and with whom at the time relative to the "troubles".

Her main concern at the time was traveling in Italy, given all the pickpockets. Especially in Venice. Who could spot and so easily target tourists, let alone an American one. The only other place that made her apprehensive was East Germany at the time. Not particularly friendly towards American tourist groups as a matter of policy at that point in time.

But then there may be different dynamics in play in terms of predators and how young- or old one is when they travel.

Last edited:
If it's really troubling you, it might be an idea to get a personal alarm for yourself.

In the event you were ever attacked you press the button on the device, which triggers a loud, high pitched sound (130-140 decibels) which is sufficient for getting attention and repelling your attacker(s).
For an attacker, the reason they do what they do at night and in certain places is so there is less chance of getting noticed and caught. When a personal alarm sounds off and the possibility of other people (most notably police officers) catching them in the act becomes much more likely, they'll immediately bolt to try and avoid been caught rather then carry on.

There are a few types - the most common been this one with the keychain, although you can get a version to wear on your wrist.

Take some self-defense classes, not shallowly, but spend some time on it. Carry innocuous items that can easily be used as weapons. Be aware of your surroundings, especially who is watching you. Plan ahead so you don't get stuck in a bad environment. Start with Japan. Tokyo is impossibly safe for a huge city and there are english signs everywhere. The train system is pervasive and easy to use. Best of all, If you wind up stranded or lost, you are almost certainly safe, no matter the time of day or night.

New Threads

Top Bottom